Phonolyth (Yuri Turov) releases Velvet Machine

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Velvet Machine

really nice plugin thanks mr turov, can make some really creative effects with it

i wonder if it's possible to make the it respond smoothly to changes in the 'density' knob, at the moment it sounds like each time it changes to a different ips value it resets the internal buffer, it would be cool if it just kept it and get more and more diffuse or less and less diffuse as you changed the dial.

sorry if i'm not explaining this correctly, or if i missed something obvious here?

thanks for your time

sengoku wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 2:04 am i wonder if it's possible to make the it respond smoothly to changes in the 'density' knob, at […]
+1
and even further:

would be cool to have a MSEG for density (density changes over time)
like in logic's spaceDesigner

sengoku wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 2:04 am really nice plugin thanks mr turov, can make some really creative effects with it

i wonder if it's possible to make the it respond smoothly to changes in the 'density' knob, at the moment it sounds like each time it changes to a different ips value it resets the internal buffer, it would be cool if it just kept it and get more and more diffuse or less and less diffuse as you changed the dial.
Thanks!
This is something I want as a user myself, but somewhat computationally expensive and/or tricky to do. Furthermore, crossfading techniques don't work that well at low densities. But yeah, I'm going to do some R&D on this.

muki wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 2:31 am would be cool to have a MSEG for density (density changes over time)
like in logic's spaceDesigner
+1 :)

Bought, after half an hour of demoing. Sounds lovely!

The GUI reminds me of Audio Damage stuff, I honestly think VM deserves better... :wink:

e@rs wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 6:13 pm Bought, after half an hour of demoing. Sounds lovely!

The GUI reminds me of Audio Damage stuff, I honestly think VM deserves better... :wink:
Thank you!

For the GUI, I was just building on the style of my previous synth, Shoom, but yeah, note taken :)

I like the GUI, it's clean and classy :tu:

Admittedly I didn't look very hard, but I did look and I can't seem to find a reference to what kind of registration/copy protection this uses? It seems quite cool but I'm no longer doing C/R from small vendors.

ghettosynth wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 4:23 pm Admittedly I didn't look very hard, but I did look and I can't seem to find a reference to what kind of registration/copy protection this uses? It seems quite cool but I'm no longer doing C/R from small vendors.
No copy protection at all. Hopefully enough honest people buy this little gem of a plug in.

dreamvoid wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 5:11 pm
ghettosynth wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 4:23 pm Admittedly I didn't look very hard, but I did look and I can't seem to find a reference to what kind of registration/copy protection this uses? It seems quite cool but I'm no longer doing C/R from small vendors.
No copy protection at all. Hopefully enough honest people buy this little gem of a plug in.
Cool, tnx!

dreamvoid wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 5:11 pm No copy protection at all. Hopefully enough honest people buy this little gem of a plug in.
Well... that seals the purchase for me :tu:

wishlist idea:

if i modulate the predelay slightly it gives quite a nice, subtle movement
(i can do this in logic via MIDI-FX > Modulator; 0.23 Hz, 19%, sinus-LFO)
maybe an idea for a (future) LFO ?

some kind of pitch-modulation (think chorus) would be cool too...

I've been playing with this a lot ever since I purchased it. I have some suggestions.
-The ability to fine tune the density. We're able to fine tune everything while holding ctrl, is there a reason why we can't for density?
-Mseg for density (I think it's been mentioned before?).
-Some sort of high frequency dampening, maybe even an mseg for the dampening if possible.
-Some sort of crossfeeding between L&R would be cool too. Or maybe even just an option to sum the input to mono.

But even without these changes, this is a very unique piece of software :clap:

muki, SeeingInMidi,
Thanks for the suggestions! I've had some of these in mind too.

SeeingInMidi wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 10:42 pm -The ability to fine tune the density. We're able to fine tune everything while holding ctrl, is there a reason why we can't for density?
The reason for density being stepped (and thus not fine-tunable) is that it's somewhat computationally expensive to recalculate the positions of up to tens of thousands response impulses (= delay taps) and, more importantly, very expensive to move them smoothly.
I've been thinking of a couple of tricks to work around this, but I've yet to test them.
SeeingInMidi wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 10:42 pm -Mseg for density (I think it's been mentioned before?)
This very much depends on the previous point as tweaking an envelope in real time implies smooth changes. If smooth density changes are made possible, then why not :)
SeeingInMidi wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 10:42 pm -Some sort of high frequency dampening, maybe even an mseg for the dampening if possible.
Similarly, this would be very CPU-heavy in straight-ahead implementation (a filter for each tap), but might work with some trickery, I'll give it a thought...

Overall, the time-domain approach to convolution that Velvet Machine uses has pros and cons compared to frequency-domain convolution used in general purpose IR convolvers. The latter makes all response densities and all smooth changes (be it volume, length, density or filtering) almost equally expensive, while the former is much cheaper for lower densities, really cheap for volume or length changes, but doesn't work that well for time-varying filtering.
Last edited by why.turov on Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:55 pm, edited 4 times in total.

why.turov wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:50 pm muki, SeeingInMidi,
Thanks for the suggestions! I've had some of these in mind too.

SeeingInMidi wrote: Mon May 31, 2021 10:42 pm -The ability to fine tune the density. We're able to fine tune everything while holding ctrl, is there a reason why we can't for density?
The reason for density being stepped (and thus not fine-tunable) is that it's somewhat computationally expensive to recalculate the positions of up to tens of thousands response impulses...
Thanks for the explanations! Velvet machine is a very exciting product :party:

I didn't think I needed any more delay type effects but I installed this demo and lost a fun hour chucking sine waves into it. Bought! So far I'm particularly fond of putting an envelope follower on the density.

Currently on sale for $20 which I'm guessing is the best it might be for a while if anyone else missed out on the intro offer :)

Return to “Effects”