Unfiltered Audio Lion

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Thanks for the fast testing! I was using Reaper 6.28 as well, with Desktop Scaling at 125% to test with multiple interface zoom levels.

What is your Desktop Scaling set to? When you say it "breaks the ports", do you mean the mouse interaction with them or a visual bug?

thelizard wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 3:28 pm Thanks for the fast testing! I was using Reaper 6.28 as well, with Desktop Scaling at 125% to test with multiple interface zoom levels.

What is your Desktop Scaling set to? When you say it "breaks the ports", do you mean the mouse interaction with them or a visual bug?
I'm running at 3840 x 2160 at 175% scaling (It happens on all other scales, but 175% is my default). The cable doesn't get detected when I mouse over the port with a cable and the white ring indicator doesn't switch on. If I raise the mouse just over the port it then gets detected, it's off by a few pixels above the port. If I zoom the gui then the old 1.30 behaviour comes back.

Thanks, I'll keep hacking at this and will post a new build soon. It's funny how scaling the interface consistently is so much harder than writing DSP.

thelizard wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 5:45 pm Thanks, I'll keep hacking at this and will post a new build soon. It's funny how scaling the interface consistently is so much harder than writing DSP.
Thank you for looking into a solution for this.

DrFolder wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 4:52 pm
thelizard wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 3:28 pm Thanks for the fast testing! I was using Reaper 6.28 as well, with Desktop Scaling at 125% to test with multiple interface zoom levels.

I'm running at 3840 x 2160 at 175% scaling (It happens on all other scales, but 175% is my default). The cable doesn't get detected when I mouse over the port with a cable and the white ring indicator doesn't switch on. If I raise the mouse just over the port it then gets detected, it's off by a few pixels above the port. If I zoom the gui then the old 1.30 behaviour comes back.
I'm having trouble reproducing this at 175% scaling.

In REAPER's option menu, under General, can you click Advanced UI/System Tweaks and let me know what it says under HiDPI mode?

Additionally, are you using a computer with more than one monitor? If so, are there different desktop scales between the monitors or anything unusual like that?

thelizard wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 6:35 pm
DrFolder wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 4:52 pm

I'm having trouble reproducing this at 175% scaling.

In REAPER's option menu, under General, can you click Advanced UI/System Tweaks and let me know what it says under HiDPI mode?

Additionally, are you using a computer with more than one monitor? If so, are there different desktop scales between the monitors or anything unusual like that?
I have HiDPI mode (Windows 7+) set to "Multimonitor aware (recommended)" or unchanged from installation. I don't use multiple monitors as the extended width of having 2 monitors effects my placement of my speaker monitors.

@thelizard:

any chance to add a sample oscillator in a future Lion update?

Lion with MTS-ESP support is now more than ever insanely good :love:
U N I S O N : shoegaze/electronic wall of sound with heavenly voice
https://soundcloud.com/weareunison / https://www.facebook.com/unison666 / https://weareunison.com/

thelizard wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 5:45 pm Thanks, I'll keep hacking at this and will post a new build soon. It's funny how scaling the interface consistently is so much harder than writing DSP.
Hey bro, is there anyway you can make the sequencer any bigger without resorting to upscaling the entire UI to something megalithic?!?

I'm having huge problems making small adjustments to the steps, knowing what note I've selected, or even just resetting the step. It just seems really tedious to work with for note sequencing.

Perhaps you can have a "hover over" note display, scale snap and holding in a modifier to make small adjustments. Of course, most of this should also work when not using it to sequence notes as well.

Just a thought.

Thanks for your huge efforts in developing it though. Loving the new Silo too.

enCiphered wrote: Tue May 25, 2021 1:55 pm @thelizard:

any chance to add a sample oscillator in a future Lion update?
NICE IDEA!!

With a granular/spectral/freeze mode option too, in the way that only Unfiltered Audio can do.

DrFolder wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 11:50 pm
As an update, I've spent every workday focused on this, as it's holding back patches for BYOME and Triad as well.

Essentially, there was one rounding error (so far) in JUCE's mouse position callback that was caught and fixed a while back, but it somehow never made it into a JUCE release. That's now been patched into JUCE.

After that, I discovered another potential JUCE bug that I *think* is another rounding error somewhere. To help them reproduce this, I wrote a basic tester plugin that demonstrates the example. I sent it over to them yesterday, so at this point I'm waiting to see if it's a JUCE issue or something weird with how we scale.

Anyway, this isn't intended to knock on JUCE at all. This whole thing (plugin scaling in multiple formats, on multiple operating systems, in multiple DAWs, with multiple pixel densities, and with multiple rendering engines) is insanely complicated, so fixing the behavior on one bug might break something subtly elsewhere. I'm just trying to give an explanation as to what happens behind the scenes with something like this when it seems like a simple bug but totally isn't. I'll send over a new build once everything seems to be working properly on my three test computers.

thelizard wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 4:11 pm
DrFolder wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 11:50 pm
As an update, I've spent every workday focused on this, as it's holding back patches for BYOME and Triad as well.

Essentially, there was one rounding error (so far) in JUCE's mouse position callback that was caught and fixed a while back, but it somehow never made it into a JUCE release. That's now been patched into JUCE.

After that, I discovered another potential JUCE bug that I *think* is another rounding error somewhere. To help them reproduce this, I wrote a basic tester plugin that demonstrates the example. I sent it over to them yesterday, so at this point I'm waiting to see if it's a JUCE issue or something weird with how we scale.

Anyway, this isn't intended to knock on JUCE at all. This whole thing (plugin scaling in multiple formats, on multiple operating systems, in multiple DAWs, with multiple pixel densities, and with multiple rendering engines) is insanely complicated, so fixing the behavior on one bug might break something subtly elsewhere. I'm just trying to give an explanation as to what happens behind the scenes with something like this when it seems like a simple bug but totally isn't. I'll send over a new build once everything seems to be working properly on my three test computers.
thanks for this explanation, scaling is one of the things that is strangely quite difficult, you enumerate why.

maybe, my question, is too much; JUCE is also known, i thought, for touchscreen capabilities, or 'easy' (seems nothing can be easy) implementation.

UA plugins do work with touchscreen (i am on windows, on of 3 monitors is a touchscreen, for tactile control, yes it feels like that!), but tooltips stay hanging, ánd i can push the LION audio engine to a full stop, preset change (and saving the preset i am working on), is a workaround.
it does not, how do say it, or better: it keeps the focus, and the last 'position'.

escpecially UA plugins work great with touchscreens, like LION, with each patch a different row of effects, etc.
also patching works...

i know touchscreen is a niche... and this scaling issue will give you already a headache...

but why not ask? a devoted UA user..

I unfortunately do not have a non-iOS touchscreen device, so it's not officially tested or supported yet. Is the audio engine hang touchscreen related, or are you able to hang it with a mouse pointer?

thelizard wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 5:28 pm I unfortunately do not have a non-iOS touchscreen device, so it's not officially tested or supported yet. Is the audio engine hang touchscreen related, or are you able to hang it with a mouse pointer?
i make patches in batches... i never noticed in one session a crash while making a load of presets, only when i tried the first time LION with my touchsreen, don't own it that long, the audio engine hanged. while making patches from scratches in batches....

(it is more flow thing, and make also patches, or redesign them when i really use them i a track, i start with sounds, tracks come out of the sounds, or something like that. not necessary! this info! it's me! sorry...)

so i never have experienced it, only with the touchscreen, could be a glitch, last time i made patches for LION, is a while ago, mainly because i use those patches now.. but it didn't seem like a glitch...
will try to reproduce it, or will certainly use LION, with a touchscreen, i still do, but as i said..

thanks for your response. (and indeed difficult to test, without a no-ios touchscreen)

simon.a.billington wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:13 pm
Hey bro, is there anyway you can make the sequencer any bigger without resorting to upscaling the entire UI to something megalithic?!?

I'm having huge problems making small adjustments to the steps, knowing what note I've selected, or even just resetting the step. It just seems really tedious to work with for note sequencing.

Perhaps you can have a "hover over" note display, scale snap and holding in a modifier to make small adjustments. Of course, most of this should also work when not using it to sequence notes as well.

Just a thought.

Thanks for your huge efforts in developing it though. Loving the new Silo too.
I had similar issues and thoughts on this as well. I love having the sequencer onboard, but it is so small it is difficult to be precise.
For streaming and free music downloads visit http://kennethrobertsmusic.com/

Return to “Instruments”