E-MU 1616m, 1212m, 1820m, 0404 Audio Interface - Complete Windows 10 (1903 & Above) Installation Guide

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Martin,
Quick question - I seem to have gotten myself into some netherworld on this. To wit, I forgot to install the 2.30 Beta driver before going into Safe Mode and copying all the files. After returning from the Safe Mode step, if I try to install the 2.30 Beta it says "The E-MU audio drivers on this system are up to date. No update is required." The driver installer is probably checking a few files and noticing they are already the latest. Unfortunately, I cannot uninstall the driver (it never officially installed), nor can I reference it when trying to supply a driver to my E-MU hardware in Device Mgr. Any ideas about getting out of this predicament? Thx in advance, Chris

Update: by recklessly deleting driver files I finally got the 2.30 Beta driver install to work and I ran the whole procedure again, after changing the device name in the script to "E-MU E-DSP" .. and bingo, it seems to be up and running. Will be doing more testing now. THX!

I finished reading through the whole thread some days ago, and now I'm probably about to try an install of an emu 1616 pci system on a windows 10 machine. I'm re-reading some stuff and trying to basically hone-in on what's really needed to get the system going. The original instructions on the first page somewhat conflict with a few other things posted later in the thread, so I'm trying to sort that out - which is what I want to run by whomever might be reading this at this late date. I want to do the simplest, most straight-forward process as possible, with the fewest steps and least risk of messing stuff up... Or, in general, I'd rather do something that's minimal enough that I'd actually remember how to do it again...

It seems like the basic issue with Windows 10 is that some update to some driver needs to be done in order for the system to install/work on W10 (edit: it's "work," not install. Installation the usual way seems to work fine).

According to what AudioManiak wrote, pasted below, it sounds like there's only a single driver file - ctoss2k.sys - that needs to be replaced, and that that file is what has actually been updated, by Creative, for the X-Fi Titanium series of cards - which apparently is the same for the 1010/1212/1616 etc. I actually looked on my existing W7/emu system and found the original file and compared, they are different, like size and some of the metadata (dates, signatures, stuff like that).

So, it seems like this whole process of getting our emu systems to work on W10 is essentially about replacing that driver with an updated version. Does that sound like an accurate assessment?

And then, there's a lot of little stuff, partially depending on where individuals are entering the process, that might make a difference. A few tips and tricks - like first removing any existing emu stuff, disabling, uninstalling and the like, but most of that is more or less in service of the main objective - get that updated driver installed properly.

Anybody have thoughts about this summary? Is it more or less correct, or not?

Part of my problem is that I'm installing the emu on a system that's never had it, so I've got to install the card, have the hardware identified, load the drivers and patchmix, and do what looks like an update of the single driver, etc., getting the sequence right... It seems like I'm really just doing a normal install and replacing the single driver. That seems straight-forward enough...

I'm wondering if I can actually just replace the ctoss2k.sys file manually, after the normal install - they both have the same name, couldn't I just copy and paste the new version into the system32 folder?? *

Etc etc. Sorry, this went a little longer than I had hoped. Any suggestions/insights appreciated...

*edit: I just tried this on my W7 system, I can mechanically complete that operation - replace the ctoss2k.sys file. Didn't even have to disable or uninstall anything...

AudioManiak wrote: Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:17 pm From the entire list of FilesToReplace.csv, in order for the card to work under Win10 x64, only the ctoss2k.sys file needs to be replaced, not necessarily from safe mode, but from normal mode. Sequencing:
- install EmuPMX_PCDrv_US_2_30_00_BETA.exe and EmuPMX_PCApp_US_2_20_00.exe reboot
- unload PatchMix (it will not let you replace the file)
- unpack the archive into cd c: \ temp \
- in the command line (Windows PowerShell) from the administrator run:
cd c: \ temp \
./EMU_Driver_Fix.ps1
- launch PatchMix, it will see the microdoc
- to make asio work: regsvr32 c: \ Windows \ System32 \ ctasio64.dll
https://yadi.sk/d/jew5QPQmIO4abQ
Replacing 1 file gives more stability, no cracking.

You can manually replace ctoss2k.sys from normal mode:
- unload PatchMix (it will not let you replace the file)
- disable E-MU E-DSP Audio Processor (WDM) in Device Manager
- open through the explorer C: \ Windows \ system32 \ drivers \, copy the file XFTI_PCDRV_L11_2_40_0019 \ Drivers \ wdm \ win2k_xp \ amd64 \ ctoss2k.sys into it
- enable E-MU E-DSP Audio Processor (WDM) in Device Manager
- launch PatchMix, it will see the microdoc
Sometimes this method does not work, writes no access, no rights.
Last edited by eq1 on Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

All I can tell you is that when I helped a friend install his E-MU 1820m into his new Win10-20H2 installation back in November 2020, we followed the steps in @kodebode2's helpful post and had no problems: viewtopic.php?p=7904573#p7904573

I'm not sure if these are any different than the steps at the beginning of this thread (though he does mention you don't need to download files from strange sources, so there's that....), but these worked for us and they were the most up-to-date at the time.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

^ hey, thanks for the reply...

I got an update to this: I just finished trying what I described above and it worked fine. Granted, I've only tested stereo out on headphones (plugged-in to dock), but in general everything seems to 'light up' as expected...

The short description of the procedure is this: Install EMU as normal, but replace the CTOSS2K.sys file in /windows/system32/drivers folder with the one from either the original package in the first post, or probably any current or future file with the same name that's been updated by Creative for the Xfi Titanium cards.

That's it.

I tried a normal installation at first, starting with inserting my PCI card, saw that it showed up in device manager, but of course no drivers. I then used the standard installer for the drivers, restarted computer, everything looked fine, then installed patchmix, restarted, everything looked fine. Usually the dock has to be started before patchmix, yet patchmix is often configured to load on startup automatically. I usually disable that. Here I just closed patchmix, turned on the dock, then restarted patchmix.

This is where I got the first and only glitch. Communication between the dock and the software/card/computer wasn't working right - you get that 'insufficient hardware' notice.

So then I closed patchmix (including disabling patchmix 'system services' in the context menu), turned dock off, and proceeded to swapping the 'new' ctoss2k.sys file for the old. First try didn't work, Windows wouldn't allow me to replace the file. But then I went into device manager and disabled the EMU device - and then the replacement worked.

That's it.

I'll probably try to load REAPER and try some other stuff soon, I'll report back if I find anything unusual...

It's interesting: I have 2 1010 cards, a PCIe and an old PCI. I just bought this new-used computer and it happened to have a PCI slot in it - so I decided to try the 1010 PCI and leave my PCIe in my 'working' computer. I used the drivers for supposedly the PCIe card - the 'beta' file. I was reading the manual last night and it explicitly says the PCIe drivers are NOT for the PCI card... Wonder what that's all about... It will be interesting to see how well the PCI performs vs. the PCIe, albeit, this is in a different system so not quite apples-to-apples. For what I do, mostly mixing at the moment, I doubt I'll see a difference. Might matter for tracking, especially multiple inputs...

In any event, if other people end up doing it this way, it seems like the procedures in the original post should be updated. I think there's 3 people now who've done just the 'replace ctoss2k' method and had it work, me and two others. It doesn't seem like the rest of the stuff is necessary...*

*edit: Oh yeah, there would likely be one more step that'd be - not necessary, but prudent: do that mod to stop Windows from screwing with the driver when it updates. It's back some pages in this thread, I had copied those instructions so I'll paste them here:

"4.) After installation, preventing windows update from goofing any of the EMU drivers at any point in the future by following the instructions at https://www.howtogeek.com/263851/how-to ... c-drivers/ (https://www.howtogeek.com/263851/how-to ... c-drivers/) ... for me I added the drivers "Speakers (E-MU E-DSP)", "Wave (E-MU E-DSP)", and "E-MU E-DSP" to the update prevention list."

Good to hear you have it working!

From what I've read, the PCI buss won't limit what you do with the 1010; both PCI and PCIe could handle more data throughput than the CPUs could deliver at the time. Even today's processors can't shovel more data than the PCIe buss can handle. Since you have these two cards in different systems, you'll find out more about the limitations of the CPUs, RAM type and speed, and OSes (assuming they're different) than the PCI and PCIe busses.

Steve
Here's some of my stuff: https://soundcloud.com/shadowsoflife. If you hear something you like, I'm looking for collaborators.

Pretty interesting discussion here, i want to throw in that the CTOSS2K.sys is for the wdm-department? but if you start your daw then the ctasio.dll or must be replaced as well or is it enough to have the ctasio64.dll in there as i think we mostly use the windows 10 system?

^ I still haven't gotten my DAW up and running, haven't tried ASIO yet. I don't know much if anything about that driver file. It's possible it's for WDM and that there might be something else needed for ASIO to work. AudioManiak mentions an extra step to get ASIO working, in the post I quoted some posts up. I'll report back once I try to use ASIO...

Hi guys, i dont know if you remember my 1820m dock has a defective capacitor... anyway there was an offer on ebay someone wants 99 Euro for a 1616m but with a PCMCIA card. Do you know if my 1010 PCI will connect also to that 1616m dock? Seems like my 1010 PCI is running and okay.

^ I know that in general 1616m docks that came with a PCMCIA card work with 1010 PCI cards. Whether your "1010 PCI" card that has worked with your "1820m" dock is the same as the 1010 PCI card in general - I don't know.

eq1 wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 8:18 pm ^ I still haven't gotten my DAW up and running, haven't tried ASIO yet...I'll report back once I try to use ASIO...
FYI, I did try ASIO, and besides not configuring patchmix right and mistakenly believing it wasn't working the first try, it did ultimately work without having to do anything special.

I still have to work with it some more. I was getting an occasional random pop/click/split second crackle in the audio. I don't think that was due to ASIO functionality in general, though, maybe buffer settings or something like that...

auron wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:28 am Hi guys, i dont know if you remember my 1820m dock has a defective capacitor... anyway there was an offer on ebay someone wants 99 Euro for a 1616m but with a PCMCIA card. Do you know if my 1010 PCI will connect also to that 1616m dock? Seems like my 1010 PCI is running and okay.
I also have one 1010 PCI card. I did not expect such a high price, That's how much I paid for 1010 PCI-e in Thoman.

^ 99 EURO for a 1616m dock is a high price?? Seems like a decent, fair deal to me, actually more on the good deal side...

eq1 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:17 pm ^ 99 EURO for a 1616m dock is a high price?? Seems like a decent, fair deal to me, actually more on the good deal side...
99 Euro is a nice deal for me as well. It is so good, now the offer is gone :lol: there is 1 emu 1616 (without "m") and a pci card left.

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anz ... 4-225-1826

Now 85 Euro for this isnt too bad either.

eq1 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 12:55 am...It's interesting: I have 2 1010 cards, a PCIe and an old PCI. I just bought this new-used computer and it happened to have a PCI slot - so I decided to try the 1010 PCI and leave my PCIe in my 'working' computer. I used the drivers for supposedly the PCIe card - the 'beta' file. I was reading the manual last night and it explicitly says the PCIe drivers are NOT for the PCI card... Wonder what that's all about...
I decided to go back to W7 and did an install of the E-MU again, and I noticed something that speaks to the issue I mentioned earlier, in italics above. I'm not sure where I read it - it was in a readme that came with the 'beta' driver, or maybe a readme that is accessible when installing the beta driver. But, that readme said the beta driver was made, or at least should work, for either PCIe or PCI.

I was relieved to see that, figured I should post here in case someone else needs that relief, at some point...

edit: OK, I found it, it was a readme that's accessible when installing. The relevant part says this:

"Digital Audio Systems (DAS) Beta Driver version 2.3 Feb, 2010

This Beta driver applies to Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 32-bit and 64-bit versions. This beta driver can be used with all E-MU PCI and PCIe products:

0404PCI, 1212M PCI, 1616/1616M PCI, 1616/1616M CardBus,
0404PCIe, 1212M PCIe or 1616M PCIe Digital Audio System."

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”