What delay and reverb units should I buy?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Friendly Noise wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:27 am The Strymon Nightsky is not your usual reverb unit.

why?

lfm wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 5:32 am I recently was lucky enough to find Lexicon MX200 rack unit, and don't use anything else since. Just an incredible reverb and other effects as well and just $150 new.

I had a spare spdif in and out so just connected those and off I went. But support analog too.
I have a MX200 in my synth rack as well. I got it used for a few bucks and it's really great if you just want to spice up your synth sounds while playing. If you want to use reverb as dominant sound source with shimmer and things like that then I'd go with a BigSky or the NTS-1. I have a NTS-1 and the FXs are amazing but it loses it's settings when turned off. That's a showstopper for me for a permanent setup.

Check out the Deluxe Memory Man BBD, it sounds lovely, the tails are really soft and warm at the same time.

you should seriously eat 3 cans of chili, and while you wait set up a room with sound proofing, stick a good boom mike on a stick and shove it down south. you won't believe the vibrations.

Dasheesh wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:59 pm you should seriously eat 3 cans of chili, and while you wait set up a room with sound proofing, stick a good boom mike on a stick and shove it down south. you won't believe the vibrations.
Is that what you do? :scared:

Valhalla...
No auto tune...

The Lexicon MPX-550 is one of my favorite effect units for reverb and delays. However, there are so many older effect units by Lexicon, Alesis, Roland, ART, and Digitech that could potentially suffice, and found relatively cheap on the market.

The OTO BAM is a wonderful hardware reverb that loves users getting hands on with it. Highly recommended. Closest thing to ValhallaVintageVerb I found in hardware.

I just went around the block on this one and… I couldn’t find a solid reason to go with a hardware unit. My UAD plugins sound excellent as do many native plugins. For what all the Valhalla plugins would cost you, you could have quality, flexibility and all the dub you could ever want. Or go with U-He. Colour Copy and Twangström are amazing. Automate them using Live’s modulation system and you’ll have something that no hardware box could touch.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

If you’re *seriously* committed to hardware reverb and delay (there are *so* many amazing options in software...) then okay, maybe try Bricasti or Eventide, and frankly w/e for the delay side.

Or go modular, even better. If you thought software could get crazy ...

vurt wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:31 am
Friendly Noise wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:27 am The Strymon Nightsky is not your usual reverb unit.

why?
The answer is the video. 8)

Friendly Noise wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:37 am

why?

(Short answer: Nightsky does much more than the usual reverb effect. Again: please listen to the video)

Friendly Noise wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:37 am

why?
uses too much mobile data.
text is preferable when im out and about. :)

Hi Vurt, I’m sorry but it is difficult to explain why a reverb is special without listening to the actual reverb.
Nightsky is not your usual nice reverb with real sounding tails. It is (almost) always an effect including sequencing, LFO control of filter, pitch and time, extensive CC midi control of all parameters, on boards distortion and Eventide/like pitch shifting, freeze for infinite reverb, preset morphing…
Just listen to the video when you can. Nightsky is always on.

I like my Earthquaker Afterneath, there is a modular version now. Also Earthquakers Transmisser and Astral Density are worth a listen.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”