Presonus Studio One 5.2 vs Cubase 11

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

subjectivity run quite amok, literally empty of useful information

Some threads has 0% or 1% info!
Unsubscribe! Again!

I like Studio One but my bandmate still prefers Cubase so we end up using both for different things. They are far more the same than they are different and the things I prefer about S1 are sort of peripheral bits and pieces, things that matter to me but probably wouldn't to most people. e.g. Being able to load up a whole set and switch between songs in a heartbeat. In the end, though, we are both happy to use either.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

I have a license for both and use them both. In the end, if push came to shove and one had to go, I think I would give both the push and go for something else because I like them equally and would never be sure that I had made the right choice. I would then probably buy Reaper and set it up and learn it well.

not sure what subscribe to a thread quite is, it doesn't do anything here. I don't get notifications, fortunately.
I better say something useful now or be seen a hypocrite, isn't it

Cubase 11, take out a demo, don't buy on reputation alone, they're losing the plot.
or, I turned off graphics switching the last two times I worked, and zero crashes ensued.
still it's a botch IME

Using a daw on a laptop is a bit complicate i found.
I don t know how to debug and optimize on apple, but on my windows 10 laptop it took a lot of steps and some weren t easy to find to optimize the dpc latency + managing the cpu heat and the fan noise/ performance stability/power management/graphic card management to make the Daw usable (out of the box my zephyrus g14 had more than 1ms dpc latency now i m more in 0.1ms) and yes i told explicitly cubase to run only on the amd graphic instead of nvidia or letting the system choose

there isn't really 'optimize' a Mac. there are tools such as OnyX which has an interface for civiilians to do the things a more power user does in Terminal, in case of trouble break glass, and it will clean up junk and get rid of logs and that. Caches cleaning, but you don't want to rely on that as anything, it can really set you back, like losing authorizations of things or whole installations borked. particularly leave system cache well alone.

forget about applications like DPC latency, irrelevant, addresses windows particularities. There was an anti-throttling app a while back but it may have been deprecated. if your DAW is "unusable" you have problems of hardware or compatibility, bottlenecks from probably peripherals or just your audio interface isn't the one. I'm kvetching pretty loudly but it's 'usable', just not been happily usable.
Cubase performs rather well here, I have large projects which a lot of systems will balk at long before I get here, but has been unstable since the very outset of 11.
So far actually zero crashes with the 'good' card forced by Sys Prefs turning off switching.

Ridiculously low latency unlikely to happen on a macbook of any type.
I haven't done DAW on a desktop for over 6 yrs but I'm not looking for anything cuter than <10ms round trip. which tends to require the right audio interface tbh. At 192 samples in the buffer mine shows 8.5ms round trip.

avoid Clean My Mac, seriously

EnGee wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 2:30 am Some threads has 0% or 1% info!
Unsubscribe! Again!
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

subscriber should never be let loose

syntonica wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 10:52 am
pixel85 wrote: Mon May 24, 2021 7:10 am Cubase and Logic are two top DAWs used in scoring. Reaper and Studio One are on second place, slowly gathering bigger and bigger crowd.
Post Pro: ProTools and Nuendo.
That's a bit surprising to me. Is this from your experience, or can these numbers be found somewhere?

(I can believe the "Reaper, cuz it's free! hur-de-hur" thing though. Sadly.)
That person is clueless. Digital Performer is almost certainly used more for scoring than REAPER and Studio One, and I'd even believe it if someone said Pro Tools was used more often than both of those, right now.

Both REAPER and Studio One are niche in that market.

There are other players in the Post Production market, like Sequoia and Pyramix, as well. Studio One literally cannot even function in that market, due to the needs there clashing with its capabilities in that line of work.

If I said you are blocked, I won't see your posts. Please kindly refrain from quoting or replying to me.
"Notifications for Nothing" are annoying. Blocking me in return is a good way to avoid this.

rardier wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:30 pm Using a daw on a laptop is a bit complicate i found.
I don t know how to debug and optimize on apple, but on my windows 10 laptop it took a lot of steps and some weren t easy to find to optimize the dpc latency + managing the cpu heat and the fan noise/ performance stability/power management/graphic card management to make the Daw usable (out of the box my zephyrus g14 had more than 1ms dpc latency now i m more in 0.1ms) and yes i told explicitly cubase to run only on the amd graphic instead of nvidia or letting the system choose
There is a website that reviews all laptops from popular vendors and tells you which ones have DPC latency issues.

Use them.

The same way people like me use them to make sure we don't buy laptops with displays that use PWM for brightness adjustment, causing tension headaches and migraines whenever we look at them for more than five minutes.

I literally cannot use any Apple Laptops because of that ^^^.

If I said you are blocked, I won't see your posts. Please kindly refrain from quoting or replying to me.
"Notifications for Nothing" are annoying. Blocking me in return is a good way to avoid this.

lol
yeah, i have the 2019 16,1 MBP which does use that. I work seriously long hours creating music, and my R&R is watching movies on the same display.
I do believe if the frequency of the flicker is high enough the supposed problem is abated. But by whatever means necessary, right, make a facile af stance against a tool you won't use, like it's ideological purity to.

I have a history of massive headaches, and a head injury, I'm far from inured to them. I have not noticed it once, bought this last July, on it constantly.
gotta call bs on that one.

and so off-topic. reportable as such, but it doesn't pay to care around here if you're me

aaand another crash-free session in Cubase 11. probably going to consider this the fault of the system, graphics switching.
i suspected this, should have acted a long time ago, I'm kind of an idiot.

rardier wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:30 pm(out of the box my zephyrus g14 had more than 1ms dpc latency now i m more in 0.1ms)
Why is 1ms a problem? My bandmate plays drums through my laptop and the round-trip latency is reported as more than 20ms on my system but everything sounds in time to us. I've never really bothered doing any optimisation on my laptops. We've been using them live for 15 years and they've worked perfectly well. If you don't know the numbers, you probably won't notice any latency. It is only because you know it's there that you think it makes a difference. Try it - get someone else, who can't see what the latency is, and see how far you can push things before they notice. I bet you get to a 512 sample buffer before he/she thinks there's a problem.
and yes i told explicitly cubase to run only on the amd graphic instead of nvidia or letting the system choose
So it's a Ryzen system? Why would you run on shitty internal graphics and not the (presumably grunty) nVidia card? As a graphics professional, you couldn't give me a computer with AMD graphics.
Trensharo wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:11 amDigital Performer is almost certainly used more for scoring than REAPER and Studio One, and I'd even believe it if someone said Pro Tools was used more often than both of those, right now.
Who cares? Seriously, how many Pro Tools users do you think even know Reaper exists? It's not a popularity contest. Unless you want to do it professionally, in which case you have no choice but to know all the industry standard tools inside out, it only needs to be about what works for you, as an individual. And if you can't make Reaper or Studio One work for you, there is something seriously wrong with you.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”