A New Reason Rack Design Concept

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

THE INTRANCER wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 1:10 amPropellerheads could contact me, they have all my details, (Test Pilot NDA forms ect they have at their HQ) about this concept... but I'm too pessimistic to think that would ever happen
Please... the level of importance that you're setting upon your 'concept' is getting laughable now.
and it wasn't my motivation in posting this anyway...
What exactly was your motivation then? TBH, based upon the feedback received earlier in this thread, I'd have thought you would have backed away from this one already.
but hay..crazier things have happened out of the blue, that I didn't ever think would...
Could you provide an example or two? I am trying to avoid sounding 'snitty' here, but this is really becoming a bit absurd.

starflakeprj wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 8:21 am @THE INTRANCER

A darker GUI is easier on your eyes, but your example of Reason X is too dark, which makes it harder to distinguish the elements from each other, not to mention the clutterness, my eyes are bleeding when looking at it.

I know this is an old project of your's, and you have started over with a new idea. But as several people have mentioned already, Reason is Reason because of it's workflow. Nobody (except you and 2-3 more people?), who have bought Reason over the years, bought Reason to get a streamlined, linear, DAW. Honestly, if it wouldn't have been for the visible rack, with the cables, the CV features and all the possibilities you get with this, Reason would have been just another DAW. Possibly already forgotten judging by the lack of features people are talking about, an which I agree to some.
Other DAW's have brightness, contrast and luminance if not various colour schemes to choose from and parameters to change the background, so the foreground elements wouldn't stand out so much. Reason X as shown in one image is, only 1200 wide by 714 in height, the original resolution in which a pre-release screenshot of R8 was shown on props website. All these things would obviously be greatly more spread out with higher resolutions, and you wouldn't need all these things available at anyone time anyway. It would be like opening everything up in Studio One for example. How many new things could I come up with and to make it all fit together, was quite a challenge. The bigger the image the smaller it is when viewed on forums.

Every DAW has it's own workflow, however Reasons rack system has always been slow, albeit flexible to a point. I don't think any DAW developer wants the workflow their system to be slower than those they are competing against and very few users actually want it to be. It's almost 20 years old and very little has changed.. Times have changed though and really, it's probably about time it kicked off it's old trainers. The Rack is the most glaring aspect that needs looking at and revised and if it's going to evolve to handle higher resolutions and work at speed that people want, there needs to be a solution sooner than later. I'm not fussed personally as I don't use Reason as my main DAW now, but it is like digging out a kids electronic toy construction box they once had. You can literally get lost in the world of tiny wires all by itself, when really the main purpose of a DAW is to get down and make a piece of music....and that in many ways can be a distraction.

:)
Last edited by THE INTRANCER on Mon May 06, 2019 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

its like a child drawing a stick lady and his dad saying "look, my kid has drawn the mona lisa"

This is horrible.
One of the main appeal of Reason is the rack design kind of resembling real hardware. All Props need to do is to crank the textures resolution and add some gfx hardware acceleration, not redesign everything from scratch.

vurt wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 7:37 pm its like a child drawing a stick lady and his dad saying "look, my kid has drawn the mona lisa"
Or even worse, an assh*le from the peanut gallery under the delusion that his opinions matter.

Johnny! wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 9:22 pm This is horrible.
One of the main appeal of Reason is the rack design kind of resembling real hardware. All Props need to do is to crank the textures resolution and add some gfx hardware acceleration, not redesign everything from scratch.
Remember, that this is like a line drawing a concept idea on paper, only I used Photoshop instead of paper because well... I prefer it over using pens and pencils. It isn't a final representation you're looking at either and it's really just one screen of two, because the concept uses a new 'Rack' and 'Layer' system which is inside a nodal network. The nodal network would have a representation of thumbnail images besides text so 'Racks' are more identifiable from one another. Racks would provide a fast and flexible way to interconnect with each other, like adding effects to go between them, and splitting them and all that could be achieved by using every little screen estate. Going inside a 'Rack Node', provides all the configurability such as layering and grouping of devices and configuring macros inside there as well as out with pop out side panel.

I've actually, designed a concept for Studio One to extend the node functionality and that concept can be found here. It wouldn't be quite the same because the systems would work differently, but I think but it would open the doors to more creative things that you simply can't do in Reason currently.

The whole picture isn't complete yet, the concept isn't complete yet but I do have an idea of how this would all work out. I've built and designed far more complex things than this, not just static concept images either, but highly complex working systems over the years.

My methodology has always been to take feedback, extract what I can from it, whilst filtering out any crap there is, when I post concepts and projects I'm working on. 30% will like it, 30% will hate it, and 30% won't say anything. For now, I'm putting this project on hold atm because I'm currently working on big a film project, which involves a big TRON / Blade Runner like universe... Lots of fun, but a lot of blood, time, patience and virtual tears....
Last edited by THE INTRANCER on Tue May 07, 2019 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

Ah yes, the pretentious sci-fi film upon which the release of a skin for a freeware plugin with the name spelled wrong depends. I don't know why you are wasting time here to be honest, obviously PreSonus's Studio One is a more fitting beneficiary to your prodigious talent than a DAW that you have oh so obviously moved on from.

Go son! your talents are required elsewhere! Shoo!

lessera wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 12:50 pm but this is really becoming a bit absurd.
it passed absurd a long time ago. this is just his latest offering.

Now , if any of his designs would be good , this thread would be more or less justified ...problem is that they are not , but he thinks they are
It's called "delusions of grandeur''
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

I have no idea what is going on here, but the design is shite.

THE INTRANCER wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 11:18 pm I'm not entirely sure what motivated me to do this, perhaps because it's been a little while since I've done much GUI design stuff[...]

NO.

I mean, no, thank you. We really need to stop promoting 1990s EGA graphic design themes.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Observation: There's obviously some arguably bad things about internet forum discussions at times (as is the case with mass human discussion in general) but on the positive side, the internet forum collective doesn't really tolerate narcissism.

If you love yourself too much, the net will rather quickly tell you to get a grip. :hihi:
Narcissism is the pursuit of gratification from vanity or egotistic admiration of one's idealised self image and attributes. The term originated from Greek mythology, where the young Narcissus fell in love with his own image reflected in a pool of water.

as it can be seen it goes to the browsers

so anything can happened :D viewtopic.php?f=166&t=524866
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

I thought it would be interesting to resurrect this thread now that Reason 12 is on the horizon.

I see some similarity with the combinator preview shots they showed... See I do have a vision.. :-D

THE INTRANCER wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 9:06 pm
Hink wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 8:07 pm the silence is deafening, in the future please stick to one thread for your artwork

edit: artwork on the same software that is
Well that might have been possible if someone didn't lock them, like they did previously.
Maybe there is a lesson to be learned there? Perhaps take the hint.
Studio One // Bitwig // Logic Pro X // Ableton 11 // Reason 11 // FLStudio // MPC // Force // Maschine

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”