Making windows faster

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Well, I'd say it's about 18% gain by shutting those services down on My laptop. I could make an image of all of the services I have turned off and on if that is helpful to you.

Was it a clean install to start with or the standard load from the manufacturer? Starting clean will probably give you that kind of boost but if yo udo have a clean install, I doubt you'd get much more by disabling services. Windows 10 is a lot leaner than older versions of Windows, as in it requires half the resources of XP and about one-third less than Win7.
Pictus wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:52 pmIf you want the lower DPC latency as possible
Why would anyone want that? All you need is acceptably low latency. For us, 24ms round-trip allows my bandmate to trigger drums on stage without any problems so why bother going any lower? It's easy to achieve so I see no point in busting a gut to get it any lower.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

The Windows 10 clean install is not factory configured for real-time
audio workloads, the simple tweaks(power plan/MSI) mentioned at
viewtopic.php?p=7624448#p7624448
helps with that, but I go a lot further, independent if it makes a difference or not.
If something has no use here, it will be removed or disabled...
Why?
Because I like this way, probably remnants from when I worked in IT. :)

So anything to distract you from actually making music, then?
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:25 am Was it a clean install to start with or the standard load from the manufacturer? Starting clean will probably give you that kind of boost but if yo udo have a clean install, I doubt you'd get much more by disabling services. Windows 10 is a lot leaner than older versions of Windows, as in it requires half the resources of XP and about one-third less than Win7.
Pictus wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:52 pmIf you want the lower DPC latency as possible
Why would anyone want that? All you need is acceptably low latency. For us, 24ms round-trip allows my bandmate to trigger drums on stage without any problems so why bother going any lower? It's easy to achieve so I see no point in busting a gut to get it any lower.
DPC latency has nothing to do with the round trip latency on your audio interface....seems you are the one who is distracting themselves from making music, by butting into a discussion on a topic that you have little knowledge about.
Always Read the Manual!

It all contributes to the thing you are trying to preserve - playability. I have absolutely no idea what the DPC latency is on any computer I have ever owned because all I care about is being able to play my f**king instruments. Because music. I quoted my round-trip latency times because I know what they are, to illustrate that you don't need really low latency to achieve the desired result. It's like you guys aren't even interested in playing music, it's all just some nerd-fest for you.

BONES wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:40 am It all contributes to the thing you are trying to preserve - playability. I have absolutely no idea what the DPC latency is on any computer I have ever owned because all I care about is being able to play my f**king instruments. Because music. I quoted my round-trip latency times because I know what they are, to illustrate that you don't need really low latency to achieve the desired result. It's like you guys aren't even interested in playing music, it's all just some nerd-fest for you.
Says the guy who's life's mission is to spend a large proportion of their time being angry at everyone on the forum for doing everything wrong. If you were as focused on the music as much as you expect everyone else to be, you wouldn't be in every thread shooting your mouth off.

You haven't had any DPC issues, good for you. Some people do have issues with it, which is why they are here to discuss it. No one asked for your opinion, no one is forcing you to comment here. Just scroll on, oh wait you can't, because you are compelled to be angry at everything and everyone here, for whatever reason.
Always Read the Manual!

1 ms sounds excessive though. I don't know what you have to do to your Windows to get such a figure. It's around 0.3 to 0.4 here (according to LatencyMon), on a non-optimized Windows 10, with quite a few background programs running.

PieBerger wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:47 amSays the guy who's life's mission is to spend a large proportion of their time being angry at everyone on the forum for doing everything wrong.
Mostly at work, really, when I can't be doing music anyway. That said, I'm at home know but while I type this I am also running through ZOMBIEkillerz, making sure I don't miss any cues by being distracted. 5 for 5 so far, two more to go. Damn! Missed no. 6. Oh, well, one more time!
You haven't had any DPC issues, good for you.
What I've never had, since I got my first ASIO I/O device 20 years ago, is any real trouble playing virtual instruments with a MIDI keyboard. Maybe I've been lucky or maybe I'm just not a dumbass and I look after my stuff, who knows? But this thread isn't about anyone with a particular issue, it seems to be about people who are more interested in fiddling with their computer than in making music.

BONES wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:53 am So anything to distract you from actually making music, then?
I only need to tweak when doing a new installation(sometimes updates) and
for me it is easy(knowledge gained from IT work) and do not cause problems
that may distract from doing anything.
BONES wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:40 am (...)I have absolutely no idea what the DPC latency is on any computer I have ever owned because all I care about is being able to play my f**king instruments.
DPC(Deferred Procedure Call) when is bad, it will cause problems...
Even Sweetwater has an old article about it.
https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/ar ... cy-issues/
Because music. I quoted my round-trip latency times because I know what they are, to illustrate that you don't need really low latency to achieve the desired result. It's like you guys aren't even interested in playing music, it's all just some nerd-fest for you.
Looks like you are in the wrong part of the forum, here it is
"Computer Setup and System Configuration"

lol, man sometimes saying whatever you want is cool... lol.

Here's the services list on My lightning fast win7:

Image Image Image Image Image

I just wanted to add; in windows 10; by turning off uac and win defender - and installing the free kaspersky cloud; I've noticed considerable speed.

If you used the paid version, probably slower, lol.

I tried the windows 10 O&O shutup program, I wasn't happy with a few errors I'd experienced when using it. I prefer the privacy win10 product, though it seems less complete and polished - There's no negative effect of its use (unless you turn on its firewall - Don't press the button :( :( ).

kingozrecords wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 4:49 pm (...)I prefer the privacy win10 product, though it seems less complete and polished(...)
This https://www.w10privacy.de/english-home/
I like too...

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”