Why does Microsoft hate us (#@$ Windows 10)

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

omg this thing is annoying. I feel like I've had like 800 patches I was *forced* to install just this year...and the latest, I installed one just yesterday...and this morning it tells me I need yet ANOTHER update. Are you kidding me? Linux compatibilities are a pain but so is this, I'm seriously considering the switch. Or even upgrading to Win 7. arghh...

Anyone on Linux, how bad have compatibility issues been for you with plugins, DAWS, etc? And what do you use for a UI? Wine? (The software I mean, the drink is a given lol)

I've thought about taking my music machine off the internet and back to Windows 7.

I use win7 and my wife uses win8. That was a big enough leap in itself. Bloatware? Slow? I'm really not looking forward to buying a new computer when this one dies!

Win7 is still serving me faithfully in the studio and guess what... I still get updates on it!!

ghettosynth wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:25 pm I've thought about taking my music machine off the internet and back to Windows 7.
Preach it brother!

mixyguy2 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:23 pm omg this thing is annoying. I feel like I've had like 800 patches I was *forced* to install just this year...and the latest, I installed one just yesterday...and this morning it tells me I need yet ANOTHER update. Are you kidding me? Linux compatibilities are a pain but so is this, I'm seriously considering the switch. Or even upgrading to Win 7. arghh...

Anyone on Linux, how bad have compatibility issues been for you with plugins, DAWS, etc? And what do you use for a UI? Wine? (The software I mean, the drink is a given lol)
Talking about hyperboles? :hihi:

Linux, really? Do you really intend to do something with your computer, or passing the time messing with the OS? :o

I'm running Windows 10, both in my main machine at home, my laptop and my studio machine. Neither of them give me problems. I've got nothing near "800 patches" to install. And I'm able to run software dating almost from Windows 98.

Try that in macOS, for example.
Last edited by fmr on Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fernando (FMR)

I use win 8.1 x64...no problems.
Noticed NI Super 8 won't install on it ..needs win 10...the idea of upgrading after what I hear all the time about W10 is not stg I'm looking forward to...so...I may just stay with 8.1 and not be able to use some stuff...
But if absolute 5 with Halion 7 will only run on W10 then I'll have to upgrade.And I'll have my pc 99% of the time off line to avoid nonsense ... that's the plan.

In short....Fu...W10. :!:
MPG X670E CARBON Ryzen 9 7900, 64Gb 6K DDR5 4x2tb Nvmes

At least three times in the last year, a Windows update has made my Focusrite Asio driver disappear--so I have to reinstall. PIA.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

https://www.pdfdrive.com/windows-10-books.html

A good number of books here re. W10.
Worth reading some of them I believe.
MPG X670E CARBON Ryzen 9 7900, 64Gb 6K DDR5 4x2tb Nvmes

Dirtgrain wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:42 pm At least three times in the last year, a Windows update has made my Focusrite Asio driver disappear--so I have to reinstall. PIA.
Same happened with the Yamaha driver for the Steinberg interfaces. It's not happening anymore though, since the last 2 or 3 versions of the Yamaha driver.

It's the driver manufacturer's fault, not Windows'.

Why?
Because she is...
https://youtu.be/HTYJi37EKpk

More than happy with Windows 8.1 for audio, it's the last one for this machine, on other hand, Linux Mint is even better all around OS and wouldn't mind using it for audio also, but right now have no reason to do so, same as Windows 10. Back on macOS, everything released after Snow Leopard made no sense to upgrade either, so I started ditching and avoiding developers that started pulling Apple on me, dunno, I quit smoking too because it was bad investment, why would Native Instruments, Waves and other do any better... dunno, feels great not relying on "industry standard" or tobacco industry to pull yourself together...

Someone started a thread about getting into Linux for audio, I try stuff like that every few years to remind myself how bad idea that is, for the first time all my audio stuff actually work on Linux, still, why would I run Windows plugins in a bridge if I can actually still run Windows, but it's good to know I have a choice.

I have had problem with licenses stopped working with larger Windows 10 update, and it can be annoying from time to time, especially when there are developers that do not trust their customers claiming that one has du buy a new license because one has "clearly" replaced the computer. This is not only for music/audio software, could be anything.

Also iLok (prior to getting a dongle) could be some trouble where iLok suddenly saw a new machine id after a Windows update.

But...this hasn't been a problem, at least not for me, with the latest updates, and I'm pretty sure it's much worse every time Apple updates MacOS, and 50% of all developers sends out emails mentioning that you should NOT upgrade your OS if you want their software to work.
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

I have literally never got that email

Then you can't own much software.
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”