Algonaut Atlas 2 finally announced. New buyers get 2 for free, 19$ upgrade for others.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Atlas Atlas 2

This is a lot of fun coupled with Sugar Bytes Drum Computer...

I noticed that some sequences load with tied notes, is there a way to tie/lengthen notes when editing in the step sequencer?
Windows/Mac | Studio One, Live, Logic | Push 2, Maschine MKIII, Atom SQ | Presonus Quantum 2, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, | Fender, Godin, Taylor

danielh02 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:06 pm This is a lot of fun coupled with Sugar Bytes Drum Computer...

I noticed that some sequences load with tied notes, is there a way to tie/lengthen notes when editing in the step sequencer?
Emailed Algonaut on this. Not right now it seems. This requires midi export/import into via your DAW to make those changes. The updated patterns can be saved in the browser I believe.

Does anyone know how I can move a note to the left or right of the grid, and see it visibly?

danielh02 wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:06 pm This is a lot of fun coupled with Sugar Bytes Drum Computer...

How are you using them together?

gExpectations wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:11 pm How are you using them together?
In Live I'm just routing the MIDI from the Drum Computer track to a second track with Atlas. Drum Computer for the sequencing and Atlas for the sounds.
Windows/Mac | Studio One, Live, Logic | Push 2, Maschine MKIII, Atom SQ | Presonus Quantum 2, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, | Fender, Godin, Taylor

I have both Atlas 2 (nice update!) and XO. I don't use the sequencer in either.

Right out of the gate, I prefer the 16 pads of Atlas. I create drum midi elsewhere, and the 8 pads of XO just aren't enough for three hats, two toms, two crashes, ride, bell, side stick, etc.

I also like the randomization of pitch and velocity in the advanced tab. I set them each to 5% per pad to humanize the kit. I do wish those parameters could be applied to the whole kit in addition to per pad, or that those settings could be locked so I'm not always resetting them. Messing with the timing -even as little as 10MS, seemed to pull me out of the groove. Could be psychosomatic!

I was missing XO's effects. Especially the fuzz and soft clipper. They just bring everything to life. Fortunately, I was able to tweak a preset on Baby Audio's Parallel Agressor to get the same vibe.

After Atlas 1 came out, I did request a feature to be able to change the midi note for each pad. That way, if you use midi generated by Toontrack or Addictive Drums or the like, you could just reassign the pads instead of changing the notes in your DAW. Impact XT has this, I think. It's handy for me. I'd be interested to know if anyone else would find it useful.

XO has a really cool velocity feature, where the sample plays back from a later point at lower velocities and the user can adjust it. IT'S SO COOL. You can get convincing ghost notes from a single one shot sample. It is mention-how-cool-it-is-again cool.

I love that Atlas lets you make as many maps is you want. I put all my Bollywood Sounds samples in one, and all my Rhythm Labs vinyl samples in another, etc, so my maps have a cohesion as broad or as specific as I like. So far the algorithm is not as strong as XLN's. Even when XLN misses it's in the ballpark. With Atlas I've gotten hi hats that get mapped as snares, crashes and rides mapped as hats. That can be part of the fun but for a user like me I'd like to see improvement there.

Atlas's ability to refresh each pad is so nice. XO's method of loading a new sound is one of the more counterintuitive things I've seen. I'd like to see an undo button next to the refresh button on each pad in Atlas.

The last thing that surprises me about Atlas is that hitting the refresh button seems to cycle between the same sounds for each pad much more quickly than I'd want. You have to dive into the map to find sounds that hitting refresh will not get you to.

Great update, an absolute steal at $19. Looking forward to seeing what's next!
If every KVR member wrote one review a year we'd have 1340 reviews each day!

Does anyone know how to acess Atlas 2's default drum map? In Atlas 1 there's always a welcome pack to go back to. For Atlas 2 I don't seem to find a way to its built-in map/drum sounds once I go into my own maps.

I'm also using it with Drum Computer. I love jsut randomizing stuff and seeing what interesting rhythms and sounds come up.

Does the demo not come with any sequences? Or am I just looking in the wrong place?

rodanmusic wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:25 pm

I'm also using it with Drum Computer. I love jsut randomizing stuff and seeing what interesting rhythms and sounds come up.
I actually just didn't know you could do midi routing like this. I'm in BitWig. I'm gonna figure it out.

padillac wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:04 pm Does the demo not come with any sequences? Or am I just looking in the wrong place?
I'm wondering the same thing about the full version

dusted william wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:48 pm
padillac wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:04 pm Does the demo not come with any sequences? Or am I just looking in the wrong place?
I'm wondering the same thing about the full version
Just found them :)

Hewitt Huntwork wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:41 pm I also like the randomization of pitch and velocity in the advanced tab. I set them each to 5% per pad to humanize the kit. I do wish those parameters could be applied to the whole kit in addition to per pad, or that those settings could be locked so I'm not always resetting them. Messing with the timing -even as little as 10MS, seemed to pull me out of the groove. Could be psychosomatic!
I'll be enabling editing of the Variation engine parameters when you've multi-selected drums soon. Honestly I just forgot to do that when I coded multi-select, not sure how I missed it.

The parameter lock button (to the right of Gain and Pan) does lock the Variation engine parameters so you can keep loading new samples without resetting them.

My vibe for humanizing is to set it up so you can just hear the variations and then pull it down a little. Particularly timing is really sensitive, I think I need to make the range finer granularity. (ie. fractions of a millisecond)
Hewitt Huntwork wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:41 pm I was missing XO's effects. Especially the fuzz and soft clipper. They just bring everything to life. Fortunately, I was able to tweak a preset on Baby Audio's Parallel Agressor to get the same vibe.
XO do have some nice effects, I'll give them that. :) I would like to add a few effects to Atlas but I don't want to go too deep down that rabbit hole. There's so many great VSTs out there for effects and people have their different favorites. The main priority for Atlas is kicking off ideas or filling gaps in songs.
Hewitt Huntwork wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:41 pm After Atlas 1 came out, I did request a feature to be able to change the midi note for each pad. That way, if you use midi generated by Toontrack or Addictive Drums or the like, you could just reassign the pads instead of changing the notes in your DAW. Impact XT has this, I think. It's handy for me. I'd be interested to know if anyone else would find it useful.
I do plan on adding this feature. (I remember your feature request) It was a bit hard to add to Atlas 1 but I've since rewritten the whole MIDI side of the code and kept this feature in mind while doing that.
Hewitt Huntwork wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:41 pm XO has a really cool velocity feature, where the sample plays back from a later point at lower velocities and the user can adjust it. IT'S SO COOL. You can get convincing ghost notes from a single one shot sample. It is mention-how-cool-it-is-again cool.
That was actually Tom Cosm's main feature request when he made his awesome first-play video of Atlas. I'm into this idea.

In your Content Browser expand 'Pack Available' and you should see some packs you can download. There's more of these coming too from different artists and ourselves.

I've also made content packs open to third-parties too, not just only available through Algonaut. Anyone can make a pack by right-clicking a folder in the Browser and selecting 'Create Pack...'. You can drag-drop the resulting pack install file onto the Browser to install it.

bbaasszz wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:13 pm Does anyone know how to acess Atlas 2's default drum map? In Atlas 1 there's always a welcome pack to go back to. For Atlas 2 I don't seem to find a way to its built-in map/drum sounds once I go into my own maps.
Some people have experienced a bug where the included map disappears from the browser after the create their first user map. If you open the Content Browser panel (not Map Browser) you'll see a Home button and next to that is a Refresh button. Hit that to resync to everything that's on disk and it should appear again. I hope to get that fix in a bugfix release this week. (if you still have issues contact me via the webpage/email and I'll help you out)

Return to “Instruments”