VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Neon Breath wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:11 am
vurt wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:25 pmclouds
What is ´clouds’ ?
a Mutable Instruments module also available in the box

ex. in the free VCV Rack eurorack simulator (called Texture Synthesizer) or its plugin emulation called VeeSeeVST
find free samples and presets at
:troll: https://fatpassfilter.com

highkoo wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:03 pm Portal and Silo are absolute game changers.
There are very few tools like them that I am aware of.
I look forward to trying Silo when I get it. I think that one of the things that makes these plugins easier to use is the ability to see the window of audio being affected and then make intelligent decisions on how to tune the parameters to get a particular effect. I have Grainspace (Audiority) and I think it would be improved by the same thing.

Conversely the eurorack based granulators are fundamentally useful because of the amount of parameter modulation that they open up (it's possible to do the same thing in a DAW, but not in the same quick plug/play way).

highkoo wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:03 pm Portal and Silo are absolute game changers.
I agree on Silo - it feels a bit rare to me in the plugin world, because it makes me want to use it in the 'normal' way, and also in ways it wasn't designed. Usually only feel that way about modules.

I've been able to get a huge range of textures out of it, and has made its way into a few mixes of mine already. Even just bringing it in 5-10% wet under anything will do something interesting :love:

Out of curiosity, how do you find it stacks up to Portal?

I just got an Empress Zoia which has some nice granular functionality as well. Just another cool HW option.

WasteLand wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 1:14 pm it is what you want, but it seems, that Crusher-X, is of course king of granular. yes i have it..
i don't have Portal.

but Crusher-X, expensive, yes, but worth it!

don't have Dust also. but if i have to choose: Silo, o no; Dust..

i don't have all granulars! but still nice ones.. although Silo is Marmite, and Dust or Portal, i can't compare, have more potential, i still like the results i get with Silo, that i now mainly use, slicing samples from own recordings, to sampler, and Silo as effect..
great textures. when you dial in, all, yourself. that's how i learn a new plugin...

new kid in town; only M4L, says also standalone (does not state if MAX is necessary);

https://www.audiobulb.com/GRAINSCAPE.htm

ow this is another granular thread, there are 3 now.... this is for Effects.

beside Delta-V Audio Spacecraft (great!) and Crusher-X no granular FX, beside Voltage Modular/Softube Modular, and i think i forget some effects... o yes, byome/triad, MGranularMB, i have..

MGranularMB, don't underestimate it's possibilities. but you have to like Melda, like Marmite..

and Silo, for me, is tasty. Unfiltered Audio Silo..
Has anyone here tried Grainscape?

Kiitwa wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:19 pm Has anyone here tried Grainscape?
It's okay. The UI is messy, and it takes some figuring to use. I get usable stuff just messing around with the randomize buttons, but I don't look forward to delving deeper and manually tweaking. It's doable though.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Dirtgrain wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:37 pm
Kiitwa wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:19 pm Has anyone here tried Grainscape?
It's okay. The UI is messy, and it takes some figuring to use. I get usable stuff just messing around with the randomize buttons, but I don't look forward to delving deeper and manually tweaking. It's doable though.
Wow just checked it and indeed just looking at that messy UI I had a headache :lol:

Kiitwa wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:19 pm
WasteLand wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 1:14 pm it is what you want, but it seems, that Crusher-X, is of course king of granular. yes i have it..
i don't have Portal.

i don't have all granulars! but still nice ones.. although Silo is Marmite, and Dust or Portal, i can't compare, have more potential, i still like the results i get with Silo, that i now mainly use, slicing samples from own recordings, to sampler, and Silo as effect..
great textures. when you dial in, all, yourself. that's how i learn a new plugin...

new kid in town; only M4L, says also standalone (does not state if MAX is necessary);

beside Delta-V Audio Spacecraft (great!) and Crusher-X no granular FX, beside Voltage Modular/Softube Modular, and i think i forget some effects... o yes, byome/triad, MGranularMB, i have..

MGranularMB, don't underestimate it's possibilities. but you have to like Melda, like Marmite..

I think the UI is bit messy as others have indicated. The issues with it are the following:
- Lack of differentiation between the various sections of the UI (just some subtle shading would be good here).
- Modulators aren't particularly intuitively laid out (the Random ones are just hanging there)
- Freeze is hard to visualise (it could really do with a visual interface to show current / frozen audio).
- Buttons are presented slightly offcentre which makes it harder to see their precise position on one side than the other.

I find the first one strange, because AFAICT the plugins he created around the same time (Xenoverb/Polaris/Delight) appear to have much better interfaces - a Delight like slider based interface + visual audio display would really help.

As constituted it's really good at being a granular *reverb* with set of tunable resonators (the pitch/mix + chords effectively function in this way), it's a bit hit and miss straying away from this because of the issues with the UI.

I don't think it's a bad plugin, especially if you get it reduced, but with a little effort it could have been a whole lot better - and given it was re-coded for V2, that would have been a perfect time to fix a lot of these issues.

chrisstiles wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:15 pm
Kiitwa wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 7:19 pm
i don't have Portal.

I think the UI is bit messy as others have indicated. The issues with it are the following:
- Lack of differentiation between the various sections of the UI (just some subtle shading would be good here).
- Modulators aren't particularly intuitively laid out (the Random ones are just hanging there)
- Freeze is hard to visualise (it could really do with a visual interface to show current / frozen audio).
- Buttons are presented slightly offcentre which makes it harder to see their precise position on one side than the other.

I find the first one strange, because AFAICT the plugins he created around the same time (Xenoverb/Polaris/Delight) appear to have much better interfaces - a Delight like slider based interface + visual audio display would really help.

As constituted it's really good at being a granular *reverb* with set of tunable resonators (the pitch/mix + chords effectively function in this way), it's a bit hit and miss straying away from this because of the issues with the UI.

I don't think it's a bad plugin, especially if you get it reduced, but with a little effort it could have been a whole lot better - and given it was re-coded for V2, that would have been a perfect time to fix a lot of these issues.
it is a mistake i also made in the beginning, but i think you are talking about Grainspace, not Grainscape. the names are o well...

Grainscape didn't try it yet, because i found an older gem, also with more 'playheads', 32 even. it is certainly different from Grainscape, but it is an effect (can also load samples, record (and save)).

playheads isn't the real term, let say grainstreams. like Granurise has (great device, works at it is best as standalone, but also with live 11 suite).
so can't really be compared fully with Grainscape, but still; also M4L;

https://isotonikstudios.com/product/sam ... r-looping/

32 different grains; size, start, pan, pitch, BP, gain, decay per grain!

i have bought via isotonik, an i am an granular addict (and additive, o well every nice niche stuff, nowadays..), but i didn't really notice the live instruments tab, mainly because, o well, does not matter.

Grainscape stays an interesting device (seperate outputs), but indeed, perhaps also why i didn't bought it the big UI, but i am not intimidated.

but Samsara, small device, came so close to an idea that i myself had, stolen from Granurise, to build a granular processor myself (in another ecosystem by the way).

o well not important.

WasteLand wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:16 am
chrisstiles wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:15 pm I don't think it's a bad plugin, especially if you get it reduced, but with a little effort it could have been a whole lot better - and given it was re-coded for V2, that would have been a perfect time to fix a lot of these issues.
it is a mistake i also made in the beginning, but i think you are talking about Grainspace, not Grainscape. the names are o well...

Grainscape didn't try it yet, because i found an older gem, also with more 'playheads', 32 even. it is certainly different from Grainscape, but it is an effect (can also load samples, record (and save)).
You are right -- I do wonder how many of the other posts made the same misreading that I did. The one you link looks interesting, though as I don't have ableton I'm not able to try it.

chrisstiles wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:57 am
WasteLand wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:16 am
chrisstiles wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:15 pm I don't think it's a bad plugin, especially if you get it reduced, but with a little effort it could have been a whole lot better - and given it was re-coded for V2, that would have been a perfect time to fix a lot of these issues.

You are right -- I do wonder how many of the other posts made the same misreading that I did. The one you link looks interesting, though as I don't have ableton I'm not able to try it.
i don't know, when GrainSCAPE came out, i didn't make a bookmark, i thought i would remember it, came always landed on GrainSPACE....

Grainscape is also M4L (but can be used standalone, MAX is needed? i don't know). SCAPE i mean..

yes sometimes it is pity that it are only M4L devices, but i have also ableton live 11 suite... so....
and MAX/M4L is great for granular (and spectral, o well, it can do all..).

so for me i work in that case in live 11 suite, which suits me perfectly. mainly the third party M4L devices i buy, are in some way in the same domain.

o well. enough other great granular synths/processors/effects.. but this one.. has special features, that i already wanted. so...

I have Grainscape and Grainspace, and I was posting about Grainscape.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Dirtgrain wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:18 pm I have Grainscape and Grainspace, and I was posting about Grainscape.
ok, but the control you have over the position in GrainSCAPE, 4 times. 4 grain-streams, 4 real grain-streams. with control, if i see it well from the picture, over 4 x all grain parameters. so more than position. even waveshape, per grain-stream (i call it grain-stream) and 4 outputs....

it doesn't invite to delve deeper, because of the UI. yes there is a lot, but in a way, all the usual suspects, or all the usual suspects, sometimes a different implementation, a seperate reverser...

or are the reverser and the delay effects, i.e. after the grain.. in routing?

ambientwks wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:40 am
I agree on Silo - it feels a bit rare to me in the plugin world, because it makes me want to use it in the 'normal' way, and also in ways it wasn't designed. Usually only feel that way about modules.

I've been able to get a huge range of textures out of it, and has made its way into a few mixes of mine already. Even just bringing it in 5-10% wet under anything will do something interesting :love:

Out of curiosity, how do you find it stacks up to Portal?
That is kind of how I feel about Silo as well. It enourages experimenting and extreme sounds. Its good for getting raw sounds out of. It kind of has sharper edges sonically and ui wise maybe.
Portal is feels more refined in a lot of ways I guess. Its presets are great, and its not hard to dial in what you want. But it is maybe more 'polite' than Silo.
ImageImageImageImage

As an aside, has anyone here looked at Ralf Kasten's book? Is it worth getting?

Return to “Effects”