Care to list your Plugin Alliance gems?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

In terms of gems, apart from the previously mentioned, I find that bx_subsynth does its job really well - which is appreciated, considering how few alternatives are on the market.

The thing that got me into PA in the first place was the console plugins, as I was looking to change up my workflow, and I like the SSL sound (up to then, the UAD SSL Channel Strip sounded good but I could barely use more than a few making it impractical to use generally).

So I really like the SSL E for the rock thing, and the J for a more open, less coloured version (I don't generally tend to get on with the G for some reason, no matter the developer), with the Lindell 80 as an alternative colour when the SSL thing is not what I want. (The Lindell 50 is nice too but is too pricey atm...).

Other PA plugins I really like and use a lot include Metric AB, which is by far the best plugin of it's type for referencing, the Black Box generally used subtley for adding a bit of energy and "bigger"-ness (I was initially turned off this by the gui but I like what it does in general), and I have a bunch of comps, all of which I like and use for varying purposes including the MC77, Townhouse, bx_opto and Shadow Hills A.

Those are my highlights, though I have some others too. Out of all of them, the ones that have become indispensable and I wouldn't want to be without are the SSL E & J, Lindell 80 and Metric AB...

The Unfiltered Audio effects are why I have an account there. Use Sandman Pro and Fault all the time, SpecOps when I need something inspiring and weird (never really figured it out :)), Zip and G8 for most of my off the wall compressing/gating needs etc etc....

bx_oberhausen is a very nice synth though not sure I rate it as highly as some do, high CPU and sounds... decent. I can get most of that with ephonic Invader for next to no CPU.

Focusrite SC channel - big clear gui and doesn't sound as characterful as the others to my ears, kind of clear and neutral which I like.

The Lindell plugs - picked them up for nothing in a megasale and surprised how much I use them. For when I don't want neutral.

GaryG wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:54 pm The Unfiltered Audio effects are why I have an account there. Use Sandman Pro and Fault all the time, SpecOps when I need something inspiring and weird (never really figured it out :)), Zip and G8 for most of my off the wall compressing/gating needs etc etc....

bx_oberhausen is a very nice synth though not sure I rate it as highly as some do, high CPU and sounds... decent. I can get most of that with ephonic Invader for next to no CPU.

Focusrite SC channel - big clear gui and doesn't sound as characterful as the others to my ears, kind of clear and neutral which I like.

The Lindell plugs - picked them up for nothing in a megasale and surprised how much I use them. For when I don't want neutral.
Same here, plus Blackbox and Knifonium

I also do not like when people use bad words and offend a dev. Everyone should or could just tell his expetience and opinion. I mean I had a one year experience with all available PA plugins and I would neither download any pa plugin even if it was for free, nor find some use for it. Also plugin hype is a stupid thing. The strangest thing is that Waves gets so much hate, ok their wup is bad, but who cares, just do not update, and they have some of the best plugins where pa does not even get close, of course not every Waves plugin is great, dev is old and has many plugins and sometimes I get the feeling pa wants to be as successful as Waves in a way shorter time, they released a very lot, but I can't see no quality, but even pa gets customers. When I look on ebay or knobcloud I see hundreds of pa plugins are being re-sold mostly between 10 and 20 usd, i saw their hyped 9000 j for 25, hg 2 ms for 35, well, that speaks for pa's questionable quality and reputation...
I also sold most pa plugins for 15 usd,
Blackbox, ssl 4000 g even for 10, cuz no one wanted to pay 15.

Plugin alliance one year subscription or Waves Horizon for sales price, it's even less afaik?
Of course Waves, Horizon has so many gems and many people use these plugins for many years and are still happy :)

2nd hand sales have more to do with prices being cheap (and perpetually on sale) than anything else.

When prices are low, people tend to buy things based on price (and hype) vs an impending end of sale date, but then these are also the first ones to be sold. It's a byproduct of FOMO.
There also tends to be more buyers for things that offered at steep discounts, resulting in more 2nd hand sales later.

WUP is a larger discussion than just updating. There are entire threads dedicated to it.

GaryG wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:54 pm The Unfiltered Audio effects are why I have an account there.
Me too, just Unfiltered Audio. The only other products I am interested in are synths. Anything else is nothing I would ever need. I don’t get the hype about emulated gear. I don’t mind if I get stuff for free with some of their special vouchers though. Just waiting for next year when Silo moves into the usual price area…

2nd hand Valhalla for 35 is sold within 20 minutes (just one example!) . PA SSL 4000 e took me 5 days to get poor 12 usd. It's about quality and reputation!
And there are plugins you will never see on 2nd hand sale, simply because they are goid. Why would someone want to sell a good plugin?!
Ask me if I would sell my Waves omni sheps or RBass ! ;)
Last edited by Najimad on Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Funkstar De Luxe2 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:30 am Vertigo VSM and Vertigo VSC are worth the subscription alone.
Vertigo left PA a while ago, the versions in the PA sub are the old versions of these plug-ins. :wink:
More BPM please

Najimad wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:53 pm I also do not like when people use bad words and offend a dev. Everyone should or could just tell his expetience and opinion. I mean I had a one year experience with all available PA plugins and I would neither download any pa plugin even if it was for free, nor find some use for it. Also plugin hype is a stupid thing. The strangest thing is that Waves gets so much hate, ok their wup is bad, but who cares, just do not update, and they have some of the best plugins where pa does not even get close, of course not every Waves plugin is great, dev is old and has many plugins and sometimes I get the feeling pa wants to be as successful as Waves in a way shorter time, they released a very lot, but I can't see no quality, but even pa gets customers. When I look on ebay or knobcloud I see hundreds of pa plugins are being re-sold mostly between 10 and 20 usd, i saw their hyped 9000 j for 25, hg 2 ms for 35, well, that speaks for pa's questionable quality and reputation...
I also sold most pa plugins for 15 usd,
Blackbox, ssl 4000 g even for 10, cuz no one wanted to pay 15.
Ever tried selling your Waves crap 2nd hand ? :lol:
More BPM please

Najimad wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:15 pmPA SSL 4000 e took me 5 days to get poor 12 usd. It's about quality and reputation!
You're making assumptions on cause and affect here. You think because it took longer to sell than something else, it's inherently because it's a bad plugin.

But why would someone buy a s/h SSL 4K E for $12, plus the necessary $20 transfer ($32), when they can get it new in a flash sale for $50 - $25 loyalty, so... $25 new..?

The reality is that a lot of people sell PA plugins because a lot of people can't control their buying habits and continuously buy new plugins they don't need, or even want sometimes, just because they are cheap. And then they realise they don't use them, and offload them.

So, if someone wanted to buy, say, SSL 4E for cheap, there are plenty of sellers to choose from, and it only really makes sense if you desperately need the plugin now and can't wit a few weeks for it to turn up in one of the many sales because of the transfer fee "tax" - otherwise, buying PA s/h is a poor choice for the plugins that have sale prices of $50 or less.

Lots of supply, less demand. That's why the cheaper PA plugins don't move super fast.

For instance, when I was in the market for the SSL J, I waited some months and was watching the s/h market. Because that plugin is still the new shiny at PA, the absolute best sale price you can get if you wait for the right time was $100 (minus whatever loyalty voucher you might have.) No one who knows what's up would sell that for $25 because it's "worth" more than that in the market - typically, s/h prices of the J tend to start at $70-ish from what I can see (though that will of course come down as the general PA sale price comes down over time.) Maybe they made a mistake, or really didn't care about the money, but $25 is more like E or G prices, than J prices (at this time.)

Pick and choose - PA has some great plugins, and some less than great ones. Pick the tools that work for you. If you like Waves, then go buy Waves, that stuff is almost always on sale for $30/each now too. Personally, I find most of those pretty junky, but vive la difference and all that...

@dioneoid
Waves is too clever, you get as little as you get when you sell PA, but I would never sell my Waves, I use and like it for many years, but I do not have Waves only!
The question for me is simple
Could I be without Waves plugins?
No!
Could I be without pa plugins?
Yes!

@beely
That's not how you buy PA plugins!!!!
Everyone knows the more 2nd hand pa you buy the less fee you pay.
You can buy and wait as long as you want and if you have for instance 6 pa plugins you pay only 8 usd transfer fee!!!

And I would never say all Waves plugins are good! Everyone must find out what is good for him anyway.
I bought 9000 j for 35 on knobcloud, hoped to re sell it later for 60 - 70 and was happy to get 29 finally. Today I saw hg2ms for 35, pa's new hyped plugin. I ve learnt that pa plugins are worthless.

I do not know any plugin like Rbass or Rvox, only some poor imitations.
MV2 is unique. Omni Scheps the perfect channel strip for me, it has everything I expect from a cs. And I love CLA 3a, no other comp gives me such pleasing results.
Just some examples and just my opinion.
Last edited by Najimad on Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:12 pm, edited 5 times in total.

elysia mpressor, elysia Niveau Filter , Lindell Audio TE-100
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Return to “Effects”