Why does Microsoft hate us (#@$ Windows 10)

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'll be making a guide to show how to make windows 7 look like windows 10. I was able to make it look just so and it's still faster than the normal aero.

You'll love My guide. As long as no-one knows you listened to My advice, everything's gravy and you're with the in crowd.

my updates are automatic, I don't even think about it at all
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

ATS wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:38 am my updates are automatic, I don't even think about it at all
Hi, have you had any problems, like when update starts and you are making audio or non-bootable OS after updates? Any audio problems?
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

mixyguy2 wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:23 pm omg this thing is annoying. I feel like I've had like 800 patches I was *forced* to install just this year...and the latest, I installed one just yesterday...and this morning it tells me I need yet ANOTHER update. Are you kidding me?
Who f**king cares? Updates install all by themselves and your PC won't restart while you're using it so what difference does it make? Grow up, FFS!

For the record, I get updates fortnightly, every second Thursday. Occasionally I get a new beta to install, because I'm an Insider, but mostly it's just fortnightly virus definition updates. Would you prefer that your PC wasn't protected from potential threats? Of course, twice a year we get new version updates but theya re usually tied to a fortnightly update, not extras.
Erisian wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 4:28 pmI use win7 and my wife uses win8. That was a big enough leap in itself. Bloatware? Slow? I'm really not looking forward to buying a new computer when this one dies!
Actually, it's the opposite - Windows 8/10 use one-third fewer system resources than Windows 7, half the resources of XP.
AcrossTheSky wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:22 pmthe idea of upgrading after what I hear all the time about W10 is not stg I'm looking forward to...so...I may just stay with 8.1 and not be able to use some stuff...
What, exactly, do you hear about W10 that puts you off? I still have 8.1 on my 8" tablet, because W8 is better for small touchscreens, but there is nothing on Dog's Green Earth that would make me run Win8.1 on either of my main machines. Win8 isn't awful but Win10 is so much better in pretty much every way.
Dirtgrain wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:42 pmAt least three times in the last year, a Windows update has made my Focusrite Asio driver disappear--so I have to reinstall. PIA.
I've never had anything like that happen and I a) have 5 different device drivers installed, and b) work exclusively on beta/pre-release versions of Win10. Sounds like you were extremely unfortunate (or Focusrite made a mistake).
CrystalWizard wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:10 amconstantly being “reminded” to use the crap default programs, trying to get rid of all the crap bloat, etc.
That sounds like out and out bullshit to me. The only time I get hassled to use a particular application is when I visit anything Google. Yes, Windows will ask you what you want to use as the default for different file types but once you set it, it never asks again. And a fresh Windows 10 install has zero bloat. I cannot think of a single thing I had to remove from my Surface Pro or from my Dell G7. Yes, the Dell has gaming features that are useless to me but it doesn't seem worth uninstalling any of it.

For me, Windows 10 has required by far the least amount of f**king about - it just works. It is far and away the best version of Windows ever and miles ahead of Linux or macOS.
metamorphosis wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:34 amThe hard drive access has gotten slower and slower with win10, to the point that nobody can use it without an ssd drive anymore. WHich is... BIZARRE.
No, what's bizarre is that anyone still uses a HDD in 2021. I don't think I've had one (internal) since 2010. Of course, at work our Macs all had HDDs but our new PCs are SSDs all the way.
legendCNCD wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:18 amHi, have you had any problems, like when update starts and you are making audio or non-bootable OS after updates? Any audio problems?
Yes, all the time and I never even notice until I go to shut down and it shows "Update and Restart" and "Update and Shut Down". Even the last big update was like that and I'm on a 2015 Surface Pro (not a fast machine by current standards) so I'd notice if it was intrusive.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

I never update mine, never had a prob

win7, over 10 Yr old pc

"windows 11" disk image was apparently leaked out of china and is all over the tech world rn. lol. they can't even do that right.

If you run your computer hooked up to the internet, you’re just going to have to deal with updates no matter what OS you’re using. Turn off auto updates and disconnect your computer from any internet/network and you’ll most likely never need to update if everything is working well.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Dasheesh wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 1:55 pm "windows 11" disk image was apparently leaked out of china and is all over the tech world rn. lol. they can't even do that right.
That is, most probably, a fake :roll:
Fernando (FMR)

most likely not, but most likely an early build.

https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/14 ... 90914?s=20

Dasheesh wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:33 pm most likely not, but most likely an early build.

https://twitter.com/tomwarren/status/14 ... 90914?s=20
Let's wait and see. Anyway, one thing I am sure. It will not break compatibility with pretty much everything that's running now, as Apple usually does in any new version of macOS.
Fernando (FMR)

well, they CLEARLY stated, and i quote "our view is microsoft windows is not an OS, it's our view that windows is a service."

a lot of folks theorizing cloud based subscription service, so I'm kind of surprised to see a disk image escape at all tbh.

zerocrossing wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:04 pm If you run your computer hooked up to the internet, you’re just going to have to deal with updates no matter what OS you’re using. Turn off auto updates and disconnect your computer from any internet/network and you’ll most likely never need to update if everything is working well.
I tested this on my laptop and still WUPDATE sprang to life every day, I think twice at least and took 25% of all 4 cores and affected audio path on this particular laptop. This was on 1903. I used sledgehammer to turn updates completely off.
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro

BONES wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:00 pm
legendCNCD wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:18 amHi, have you had any problems, like when update starts and you are making audio or non-bootable OS after updates? Any audio problems?
Yes, all the time and I never even notice until I go to shut down and it shows "Update and Restart" and "Update and Shut Down". Even the last big update was like that and I'm on a 2015 Surface Pro (not a fast machine by current standards) so I'd notice if it was intrusive.
Ah, so you didnt have any problems. Ok. My experience was different on a lowend laptop and 1903 version.

BONES wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:00 pm
CrystalWizard wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 3:10 amconstantly being “reminded” to use the crap default programs, trying to get rid of all the crap bloat, etc.
That sounds like out and out bullshit to me. The only time I get hassled to use a particular application is when I visit anything Google. Yes, Windows will ask you what you want to use as the default for different file types but once you set it, it never asks again. And a fresh Windows 10 install has zero bloat. I cannot think of a single thing I had to remove from my Surface Pro or from my Dell G7. Yes, the Dell has gaming features that are useless to me but it doesn't seem worth uninstalling any of it.
Perhaps, just perhaps our experiences are different. No, it’s not bullshit, it just “sounds like it” to you. Daily, i’m asked “do i want to change my default browser to edge?-“fk no i dont. Almost daily do i want to use the pile of crap Office 365? No thanks, i’ve got LibreOffice. Not as frequently “do i want to activate one drive? No, the cloud is “someone elses computer.”
I guess i should have kept a list of all the crap i’ve removed but to be fair much of that (not nearly all) was thrown on there by the manufacturer not Windoze. So, it’s your opinion that i’m posting bs, not anything more. There a long list of other annoying sh*t about W10, for another time ( or not). Lastly, i am not one of your hater fans, i find most of your posts relevant.
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”