Why you left Ableton?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Dirtgrain wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:21 pm I haven't left Ableton, just in on the discussion.

Also, Live 11 has been crashing for me. Today, I tweaked the output on Kush Silika, and it crashed. It often crashes when I try to use Adaptiverb on it. I have thought about leaving, for this reason, as Live 10 crashed weekly for me, but I don't know that other DAWs don't have this problem. I know there is a beta for updated Live 11, but I'm waiting for official update.
The beta was updated just today. Hopefully it will be pushed out soon and fix your issues (I have been running the beta since b1 and have used adaptaverb and wormhole without any issues…touch wood!)

I haven’t left Live either…although we had a trail separation when I met Bitwig…

I concluded I can’t leave Live as She turns PUSH2 in to my favourite plaything and also I am also determined to learn to patch in MAX before I die!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:33 pm I am also determined to learn to patch in MAX before I die!
Live long and prosper!
I’m in the same boat with MAX.
MuLab-Reaper of course :D

SLiC wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:33 pm I haven’t left Live either…although we had a trail separation when I met Bitwig…

I concluded I can’t leave Live as She turns PUSH2 in to my favourite plaything and also I am also determined to learn to patch in MAX before I die!
Same, I haven't upgraded to 11 yet, but I'm certain I will when their annual sale around xmas happens.
Mostly it's Jitter and Lives VJ style video hosting that I don't think I could give up on. We will see, but I'll give Live another hard go when it ports to M1x or whatever Apple calls their next batch of silicon. The idea of everything on the same laptop for performance is nutty I know, but it appeals to me.

^^^^ To add to this, it really bothers me that Ableton came out with Racks, and having all your virtual instruments live on one track to switch between is the "solution" everyone is given for performance. I used Live for years with Kore to do this without breaking my laptop, and immediately realized that Racks was no replacement for Kore. The instrument selector in Bitwig should be copied by Live, but who knows? it might be a much deeper issue to relinquish CPU like that in Live.

This goes back to why some of us end up owning multiple DAWs, there are certain limitations that just pop up that one DAW may have compared to another.

machinesworking wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:28 am ^^^^ To add to this, it really bothers me that Ableton came out with Racks, and having all your virtual instruments live on one track to switch between is the "solution" everyone is given for performance. I used Live for years with Kore to do this without breaking my laptop, and immediately realized that Racks was no replacement for Kore. The instrument selector in Bitwig should be copied by Live, but who knows? it might be a much deeper issue to relinquish CPU like that in Live.

This goes back to why some of us end up owning multiple DAWs, there are certain limitations that just pop up that one DAW may have compared to another.
Man I miss Kore. The best thing NI ever made imo.
Studio One // Bitwig // Logic Pro X // Ableton 11 // Reason 11 // FLStudio // MPC // Force // Maschine

apoclypse wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:53 am Man I miss Kore. The best thing NI ever made imo.
For live Performance I found it unbeatable. I used it with Live to play three or more virtual instruments in a row without having to switch myself, and there's no way my old laptop could have handled that CPU hit without it. There are solutions now, but all of them have caveats, MainStage is not a plug-in, I should look into Freestyle, but I think it's just as possible with Bitwig, although that's not a portable solution.

SLiC wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:26 pm However, neither Live nor Bitwig has native audio pitch correction…and even Reason can do that ;-)
That is one big reason why Logic is my second DAW after Bitwig. Logic has more stuff interesting to me that isn't in Bitwig than Live. Tempo mapping is another example. Also Clip instances, and so on. Bitwig and Live have too many of the same limitations.

pdxindy wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:27 am
SLiC wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:26 pm However, neither Live nor Bitwig has native audio pitch correction…and even Reason can do that ;-)
That is one big reason why Logic is my second DAW after Bitwig. Logic has more stuff interesting to me that isn't in Bitwig than Live. Tempo mapping is another example. Also Clip instances, and so on. Bitwig and Live have too many of the same limitations.
As a PC user, I have Studio One for these thing as we have no Logic!

I found it a bit weird Live did pitch to midi before they did pitch correction….maybe they will go down the ARA route a day bundle a stater Melodyne.

After using Reason a little the way they have implemented it is nice…simple and integrated, even with ARA2 I still feel like I am using a program within a program (as you are!) and in some ways it would be good to see a more integrated approach. Editing audio ‘like midi” just seems like something all DAWS should be able to do…but then so was comping!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Bought a push2, etc.. really wanted to get into ableton. For starters the small bottom strip interface is just too limiting for me.. I don't want to be forced into an idea just because its an idea... they should allow that window to be any size and have multiple windows, sorta like Logic.

2) the syncronization between external midi is absolute pits :( its the main reason i left. If you are controlling a AU / VST, awesome, then ableton is great for you but thats not the same as 16 keyboards, some 20+ years old with clocks and syncing or doing film production where you need to sync video equipment. Logic has it all, its obvious the emagic team or some of them / their code is still there.. I have 2 unitor8's and they have 3 or 4 pages of options in Logic. in Ableton, 2 buttons, good luck.

^ The biggest reason I never liked Live and sold it twice now. The strip interface is so limiting and everything is compacted in there. It's pretty bad when using a laptop. I know a lot of people like everything in one but I don't. That's why I stick with FL.

I chose Live over Logic (and Bitwig) because of one main reason, and that is the perfect hardware integration and workflow (of using my hardware).

Live and Bitwig are almost the same for me about software workflow, but in both I'm much faster editing and get my ideas recorded than Logic. Anyway, Live default integration with nanoKontrol and MK ii are much better and problems free than Bitwig.

In spite of Live still under Rosetta, but man! I hooked my nanoKontrol and viola! Also keylab mk ii and my MODX, all working so well together under Live.
Using the Yamaha audio interface in MODX (without problems this time) made me exploring my MODX and use all outputs with its mixer easily with Live. That opens new possibilities and a new workflow that Live suited well for it.
It's the same setup in Mac and Windows without any problem :D

EnGee wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:59 amI chose Live over Logic (and Bitwig) because of one main reason, and that is the perfect hardware integration and workflow (of using my hardware)...
You're in a wrong thread ;) :D
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

antic604 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:02 am
EnGee wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:59 amI chose Live over Logic (and Bitwig) because of one main reason, and that is the perfect hardware integration and workflow (of using my hardware)...
You're in a wrong thread ;) :D
Yeah, he is, but don't worry, @EnGee changes DAWs so often that it will soon be the right thread. :hihi:

Yes, it seems I'm always against the flow!

I admit I'm changing DAWs a lot which is a "new" bad habit it seems! However, the thing is I'm not a fanatic for something or someone! I can see the good things here and there, but the problem "is" I want to stick to one DAW and make music!

All those 5 DAWs are fantastic (Cubase, Studio One, Logic, Bitwig and Live). I used all of them and I'm quite good at most basic/essential tasks. The last DAW I bought is Live 11 upgrade to Live 10 (once again!) as I think M1 support is coming soon.

At least I stopped selling DAWs. Maybe because I feel shame from writing to the support again and again to transfer the license :lol:
Anyway, I can't promise that this is the only DAW I will use, but I think I'm getting there! I'm getting there! :hihi:

EnGee wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:32 am...Anyway, I can't promise that this is the only DAW I will use, but I think I'm getting there! I'm getting there! :hihi:
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”