Avicii Clap Sample

How to make that sound...
KVRist
42 posts since 11 Jul, 2013

Post Sat Sep 05, 2015 9:29 pm

Excuse my bad english.

I´m not a fan of using samples but i listened to this Avicii track (Speed) and one thing that caught my attention was the clap he used, i really like it because it adds like "hardness" to the beat (sounds stupid but i dont know how to express), anyway , knowing the fact that he doesn´t create his samples i dive into some vengeance folders but nothing, i tried to layer and process different samples but i get nothing sound like that, so anybody knows the trick or its actually taken out of a sample pack?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfunpBot0lk

It appears at 2:33 (first drop), also in the breakdown (4:05), second drop (5:07) and finally in the outro (6:24)

KVRist
61 posts since 2 Jul, 2014

Post Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:33 am

I don't hear anything that makes it special. I think he layered a clap and a snare, the clap starting slightly before the snare to get a "fat clap" sound (but in fact it's the snare that sounds fat, not the clap - hope you understand me lol) and reverb on the snare.
I get this (sampled the Avicii kick by the way)
http://www15.zippyshare.com/v/cAXZ4urR/file.html

I think I got close to what you want, I didn't pay any attention to Eq and compression because I don't have much time but I guess you can get a better result if doing so.

Sorry for my english as well :)

KVRist

Topic Starter

42 posts since 11 Jul, 2013

Post Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:43 pm

Using a "pre clap"? im goin to test it.

KVRer
1 posts since 13 May, 2021

Post Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:39 pm

it's a loop from Loopmasters Deadmau5 XFER Pack, It's called XF_Loop_85.

KVRAF
3314 posts since 2 Jul, 2005

Post Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:49 pm

Sounds like an 808 clap sample layered with a snare
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

KVRist
431 posts since 4 Dec, 2019

Post Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:39 am

I think your English is OK.
Maybe the clap is not just a clap but there is something else on top of it.
Maybe it has been "layered" with something.
This means that there is e. g. a second track with a sound that appears at the same time as the clap.
That's why the clap sounds strange.
Nothing can be better than liberty and free time to spend as you choose. Don't let those modern slaveholders ruin your life!

KVRAF
2133 posts since 8 Dec, 2008 from Global Cowboy

Post Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:52 am

STD Club Pack ? :)
No auto tune and iLok free...

KVRist

Post Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:34 pm

I just saw that Ah_Dziz already had a similar idea.
Ah_Dziz was the first one who came up with the idea that the clap is maybe layered with something else.
Nothing can be better than liberty and free time to spend as you choose. Don't let those modern slaveholders ruin your life!

KVRAF
12899 posts since 8 Mar, 2005 from Utrecht, Holland

Post Mon Jun 14, 2021 10:24 pm

It's a clap + tom
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is back online!!

KVRist

Post Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:50 am

Maybe it's a tom that sounds like a snare?
I always find it difficult to differentiate between both in synth sounds so I never know
and if they are masked with a clap how could we ever find out which one it is?
Choos, where are you? We need an expert to help us here.

KVRAF
12899 posts since 8 Mar, 2005 from Utrecht, Holland

Post Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:05 am

So I listened again, and guess what... I was wrong and you are right! It's a snare not a tom.

When I listened early this morning I went straight to 02:33 and thought it's a tom. Probably because it's a bit low-key and has a short release tail. Hearing more of it, yeah definitely snare. A dry snare.

These are all bog-standard samples used in run of the mill drum machines btw. Nothing too exciting imho.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is back online!!

KVRist

Post Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:46 am

Hmn, but I wasn't only joking. It's extremely difficult to figure out layered sounds like those.
A dry snare and a small-sized / high tom in synths may just overlap in how they sound...

Return to “Sound Design”