Who loves Subscription Only updates to iZotope products?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Do I "love" the subscription model? No. Like most people who are posting here, I at least prefer outright license purchases.

Do I seethe with hatred at a subscription model, as so many do? Also no.

Am I going to subscribe? As someone who owns many Izotope products and routinely updated my license with each yearly upgrade in the past, the subscription model very well may save me some money, so maybe. I haven't decided yet.

Do any of us have any idea as to Izotope's market research and the actual impact (positive or negative) that subscriptions will have on the company's bottom line? I strongly suspect not.

0degree wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:00 am Imagine you have to subcribe to have your own physical gear you have in your studio :o
https://www.vintagedigital.com.au/aphex-aural-exciter/

I like iZotope products, and use them in every project. However, I'm really torn over this subscription model.

Am I just hung up on "owning" a piece of software rather than renting it? The answer seems to be yes. I'd rather own the software and use it without paying monthly.

I'm also not super happy with the way iZotope seems to abandon products. iZotope has created a graveyard of abandonware, with no sign of future updates.
Bitwig Certified Trainer

Havok wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:42 pm
0degree wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:00 am Imagine you have to subcribe to have your own physical gear you have in your studio :o
And you pay for this monthly right?
Edit: The whole idea of virtual INSTRUMENTS and EFFECTS is that you can use them and not rent them, no ?

0degree wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:54 pm
Edit: The whole idea of virtual INSTRUMENTS and EFFECTS is that you can use them and not rent them, no ?
This was years ago when it was first released, apparently you had to pay $30 per minute of finished audio released that it was used on. So if you made a 3 minute track you paid $90 (equivalent to $440 nowadays according to an inflation calculator). And obviously you didn't own the actual unit

Havok wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:10 pm
0degree wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:54 pm
This was years ago when it was first released, apparently you had to pay $30 per minute of finished audio released that it was used on. So if you made a 3 minute track you paid $90 (equivalent to $440 nowadays according to an inflation calculator). And obviously you didn't own the actual unit
Fair enough, you also have online mastering services where you upload your audio and automate processing over the internet but it's still an exception. I buy things to own them and have them at my disposal and not rent them. This whole subscription thing is a cancer. I'll pick other devs that don't go that route and if this fails too I'll switch to hardware

excuse me please wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:32 pm A subscription model is just a band-aid to stop the bleeding. It does not change a thing in the long run, I'm afraid.

Yep....the same with WUP...... There is only a fraction of pro studios left and bedroom producers support the market for now....but we don't generate income for the most part. It's a HOBBY.
As long as my HW continues to work. I could make all the music I want with the plugins I have on Win 7. I certainly don't see the next generation getting caught up in this.
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://sites.google.com/view/scrubbing-monkeys

I sold everything i had bought from them and deleted freebies. I won't condone such bullshit - bye.

maybe i need to update my signature

It’s a huge kick in the nuts to all that invested into their ecosystem. They led customers to believe that advanced was the top tier, then did the old switcheroo with the Pro subscription. Relationships are based on trust, and acts like this diminish good will that was built over years.

I shall vote with my wallet. I was planning on upgrading to MPS4, but it is already outdated, & I no longer feel comfortable investing in the products/company.

Every time something has gone subscription, I've eliminated it. If they don't offer purchase to own, it's history.

Deleted, double post and nonsense from my side.
Last edited by ralfrobert on Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rj0 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:41 pm Every time something has gone subscription, I've eliminated it. If they don't offer purchase to own, it's history.
Bravo. The channel strip stuff is easy to replace, as is mastering. RX is another story. Acon perhaps. Funny, good old Iris will stay. I am on MPS 4 right now and planned to use this for 2 years.

Replacement is going on with IK Multimedia and iZotope at the moment, as well as iLok stuff. Voxengo and Arturia are coming.

I am interested in which changes are on other people's menus. Does anybody want to share?

Well especially for professionals there is an immediate downside to subs: Imagine you stop subbing at some point, you'll have problems opening your old projects if you ever need to. I'm just a hobbyist, I don't *need* access to old projects but this seems like a bummer. I also think the prices are a bit up there for what you get.

I imagine people who didn’t face with Izotope sales policy before and bought plugins for the full price thinking they make a good long-term investment... It’s unbelievable and very expensive fail :)

But, I have to say that some engineers/musicians still using Ozone 5 and it still does the job. So, there is a chance that I will keep my Ozone 9 Adv without any rush to go to subscription. I hope...

But, if Izotope will decide to restrict, “abandon” purchased plugins (Ozone 5 still works, remember) or try to make me a subscription junkie other unpleasant way, I’ll definitely leave the party with a lot of s**t in the pockets...

Dombaeb wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 6:37 pm I imagine people who didn’t face with Izotope sales policy before and bought plugins for the full price thinking they make a good long-term investment... It’s unbelievable and very expensive fail :)

But, I have to say that some engineers/musicians still using Ozone 5 and it still does the job. So, there is a chance that I will keep my Ozone 9 Adv without any rush to go to subscription. I hope...

But, if Izotope will decide to restrict, “abandon” purchased plugins (Ozone 5 still works, remember) or try to make me a subscription junkie other unpleasant way, I’ll definitely leave the party with a lot of s**t in the pockets...
The only problem with sticking to old software is when you don't want to stick with old operating systems. Whether it's rational or not, subscription announcements often trigger interest in alternatives.

Return to “Effects”