Best vst for fat bass

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

skyman88882002 wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:46 pm I went through a bunch of plugins and serum presets looking for the bass sound I wanted - low but not too distorted. Surprisingly, Loopmasters Bass Master came closest for me.
Same - Bassmaster can be brilliant. Probably gets overlooked as it's sample based.

ImpOSCar and Nemesis can do fat bass, altho' I usually use my own sampled analog synths in Live's Instrument Racks.

opochtli wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 7:45 amTry U-he products-its best for these things:)
I don't find u-He stuff very useful at all. The RePros use way too much CPU, Diva sounds OK but is no longer as special as it was a few years ago and I just plain don't rate the sound or workflow of Hive above a lot of other similar synths, like Thorn or ANA 2. I wouldn't even rate Hive above ArcSyn. I'm not sure why, it just doesn't do it for me.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Softube Monoment Bass or Wave Alchemy Bassynth.
More BPM please

Have you tried Knifonium? I got it for £15

I've been having success with Vital - it can do all the stuff Serum can, but 'freemium'.

Monark sounds very greasy to my ears.

ferez21 wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:27 pm Monark sounds very greasy to my ears.
For years my favorite vst synth was Tone2 Firebird,it's so simple and powerful,still can be very useful ,it has dedicated 'Fatness' knob.
Made hundreds of basses looking for perfect one :)
Try this bass and see what happened with the mix :)
Cheers:)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

deleted
Last edited by replicant X on Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Each DAW has a different sound.

I was never very happy with Moog emulations or U-He (Diva, Repro) for bass.

Serum but also other wavetable synths can work very well and are apparently often used for this (there are at least some tutorials for it). There are some tricks, e.g. replacing the first harmonic with a sine (sub oscillator) which works for wavetable synths with a partials/harmonic editor.
Dune2/3 with a vintage saw and square sub & oscillator reset in combination with a little distortion (Blackbox, Quadrafuzz, Saturn,...). Boom!
FXpansion Strobe, very simple synth but great for basses. Goes a bit in the direction of SH/Juno Bass. Seems to be quite popular with some EDM people in the Anjuna Beats "scene".

There are also other synth which can work quite well e.g. Tal Bassline (SH101 Emulation).

These are also the synths I use most for bass. I used Strobe in a lot of songs (Strobe 1 & 2), sometimes Serum and Dune.

Some synths have 'Mojo',which probably comes from better coding or architecture of the synth,can't say,but better synth not necessarily make the bass fatter,sometimes really simple preset from ordinary synth nail it.
More complex wavetable stuff have rich harmonic content,but in most cases designers just improvise and if the preset isn't made inside the mix with specific goal where and how to be placed,may sounds impresive separatelly, but mixed with other instruments the mix become mish mash.
There is definitely basic points any bass to sit well :
1.Freq focus - where will be placed in the mix,usually 100-400 hz but may go down to 30-40hz.
2.Internal structure - how much small detail are implemented to make it more dynamic.
3.Attack and release - fundamental for each instrument to sit 'right' among other.

Don't forget phase align in combination with a (tuned) kick. Bass and kick always must work together and (maybe) are often the most difficult part in a track.

4damind wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:08 pm Don't forget phase align in combination with a (tuned) kick. Bass and kick always must work together and (maybe) are often the most difficult part in a track.
Why do their phases need to be aligned? you actually want to avoid them being played at the same time, so their phases in relation to each other don't matter.

ferez21 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:13 pm Why do their phases need to be aligned? you actually want to avoid them being played at the same time, so their phases in relation to each other don't matter.
You have answered the question yourself why it can be useful to align the phases. Bass and kick will always overlap somewhere, even if you try to set everything offbeat or duck it with sidechain tools/compressor.
There are many tutorials with different plug-ins, e.g. Kick 2, that deal exactly with this phase alignment and also show the difference.

But... there is no rule that you have to do it this way. These are just ideas, just like there are dozens of different ways to program a bass.

4damind wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:35 pm
ferez21 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:13 pm Why do their phases need to be aligned? you actually want to avoid them being played at the same time, so their phases in relation to each other don't matter.
You have answered the question yourself why it can be useful to align the phases. Bass and kick will always overlap somewhere, even if you try to set everything offbeat or duck it with sidechain tools/compressor.
There are many tutorials with different plug-ins, e.g. Kick 2, that deal exactly with this phase alignment and also show the difference.

But... there is no rule that you have to do it this way. These are just ideas, just like there are dozens of different ways to program a bass.
Well, i guess it wouldn't harm, but depends on the arrangment it just might not be necessary. Anyway, good info :tu:

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”