Who loves Subscription Only updates to iZotope products?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ralfrobert wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:55 pm
rj0 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:41 pm Every time something has gone subscription, I've eliminated it. If they don't offer purchase to own, it's history.
Bravo. The channel strip stuff is easy to replace, as is mastering. RX is another story. Acon perhaps. Funny, good old Iris will stay. I am on MPS 4 right now and planned to use this for 2 years.

Replacement is going on with IK Multimedia and iZotope at the moment, as well as iLok stuff. Voxengo and Arturia are coming.

I am interested in which changes are on other people's menus. Does anybody want to share?
I guess this is just going to be another iZotope subscription grievance and speculation thread. There are already a few. Maybe there will be a new one every time a subscription exclusive is announced?

Personally, I see no point in throwing out the baby with the bath water. iZotope has already said they will continue to offer perpetual licenses. Just because they're offering a subscription option is not reason enough to get rid of mine. I didn't purchase my licenses with the assumption or expectation there would be free upgrades or that the Advanced line would always be top tier.

telecharge wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:10 pm
rj0 wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 5:41 pm Every time something has gone subscription, I've eliminated it. If they don't offer purchase to own, it's history.
Bravo. The channel strip stuff is easy to replace, as is mastering. RX is another story. Acon perhaps. Funny, good old Iris will stay. I am on MPS 4 right now and planned to use this for 2 years.

Replacement is going on with IK Multimedia and iZotope at the moment, as well as iLok stuff. Voxengo and Arturia are coming.

I am interested in which changes are on other people's menus. Does anybody want to share?
I guess this is just going to be another iZotope subscription grievance and speculation thread. There are already a few. Maybe there will be a new one every time a subscription exclusive is announced?

Personally, I see no point in throwing out the baby with the bath water. iZotope has already said they will continue to offer perpetual licenses. Just because they're offering a subscription option is not reason enough to get rid of mine. I didn't purchase my licenses with the assumption or expectation there would be free upgrades or that the Advanced line would always be top tier.
One of the main points of this post is your purchased license does not get the same upgrades as the subscription license.
Bitwig Certified Trainer

billcarroll wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:28 pm

One of the main points of this post is your purchased license does not get the same upgrades as the subscription license.
I'm quite sure you'll get the same improvements in one year's time for let's say 149$ discount price on the music production bundle upgrade.

I don't mind subscriptions, but what really baffles me is why Izotope have made the subscription versions NOT compatible with the normal versions. If your buddy has a subscription and sends you a mix/project, the normal versions will not open in your daw. Really wierd choice imo.

Scrubbing Monkeys wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 4:10 pm
excuse me please wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:32 pm A subscription model is just a band-aid to stop the bleeding. It does not change a thing in the long run, I'm afraid.

Yep....the same with WUP...... There is only a fraction of pro studios left and bedroom producers support the market for now....but we don't generate income for the most part. It's a HOBBY.
As long as my HW continues to work. I could make all the music I want with the plugins I have on Win 7. I certainly don't see the next generation getting caught up in this.
Yeah, started as a hobby, but is becoming more and more like an OBSESSION. Though I consider myself lucky with what I have :)

I really like that because I will probably save a lot of time and money as I will not care for updates/upgrades in future but just stick with what I got.

martinjuenke wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:33 pm
billcarroll wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 7:28 pm

I'm quite sure you'll get the same improvements in one year's time for let's say 149$ discount price on the music production bundle upgrade.
Well, .x upgrades are ALWAYS free, at least to my knowledge. Now it's only made free to subscribers? What were they thinking?! It would be another story if they added another module for subscribers only, not fixes like these.
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

I only used RX occasionally, but I completely lost interest their products range. Luckily we have enough alternatives and it's not photoshop.

midi_transmission wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:25 pm I only used RX occasionally, but I completely lost interest their products range. Luckily we have enough alternatives and it's not photoshop.
I will admit to loving Ozone and RX
Bitwig Certified Trainer

SparkySpark wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:30 pm Well, .x upgrades are ALWAYS free, at least to my knowledge. Now it's only made free to subscribers? What were they thinking?! It would be another story if they added another module for subscribers only, not fixes like these.
To be fair iZotope rarely added any new features or improvements between major versions, just bug and compatibility fixes - and sometimes they even witheld those.

Now they can add features and improvements more rapidly but... only for subscribers. Epic own goal but classic iZotope?

But we're just a bunch of moaners, right...

MogwaiBoy wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:09 am

To be fair iZotope rarely added any new features or improvements between major versions, just bug and compatibility fixes - and sometimes they even witheld those.
RX8 really should be just a 7.1...

midi_transmission wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:25 pm I only used RX occasionally, but I completely lost interest their products range. Luckily we have enough alternatives and it's not photoshop.
even Photoshop has good alternatives now - not as huge but easily good enough for most people eg Affinity Photo

ZargonTheMagnificent wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:23 pm I don't mind subscriptions, but what really baffles me is why Izotope have made the subscription versions NOT compatible with the normal versions. If your buddy has a subscription and sends you a mix/project, the normal versions will not open in your daw. Really wierd choice imo.
This is very important and I can’t imagine it’s an oversight.

I get that they’re trying to sell a new model, but purposefully fragmenting their product is a shitty move. It’s obvious they’re inspired by what Adobe did and probably see this as not being as bad, but it’s unnecessary.

Izotope never waited until the whole line was ready like Adobe did, so this decision is purely arbitrary and unnecessary.

It’s because of this decision that I won’t upgrade my Native Instruments Komplete. I need to see who’s leading the way, NI or Izotope.

The Izotope team has always had the strangest upgrade paths but this one is their worst decision yet.

ZargonTheMagnificent wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:23 pm I don't mind subscriptions, but what really baffles me is why Izotope have made the subscription versions NOT compatible with the normal versions. If your buddy has a subscription and sends you a mix/project, the normal versions will not open in your daw. Really wierd choice imo.
never even thought of that. Any collab = coercion into sub.

waltercruz wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:33 am
MogwaiBoy wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:09 am

RX8 really should be just a 7.1...
So true!

Return to “Effects”