Favorite granular effect?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Another cool one that can be used an effect is Imaginando FMRS, which is actually a granular/FM synth, but can take live input. Also works on desktop and iOS.

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:53 pm Another cool one that can be used an effect is Imaginando FMRS, which is actually a granular/FM synth, but can take live input.
Didn't realise that - thanks

now it might be nebulae

Anyone have an opinion on Remnant ?

ohdoubleu wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:35 pm I'm all for people getting the features they need for their workflows, so hopefully UA will add some scale quantisation features to Silo, but I've always treated granular processing as a little like using a tape delay or a pre-digital outboard effect: somewhere to inject a little unpredictability and to make some happy mistakes.

Though, saying that, there is a ton of music that I like that uses more precise and quantised granular processing, but I always - and maybe wrongly - thought that those parts were edited down from longer sessions as audio. Maybe it's just the devices I use, but I kind of assume that no two passes through with the same MIDI will have the same outcome, so rendering directly to audio is the best solution .
I could have made this post!
Silo could be taken to the next level with a few 'musical' features like that. As it is, its great but limited in its wildness.
I too am hearing music that I can barely explain, even while I am SO close to the processes I know for sure must be generating the sounds. Its been driving me a bit crazy.
Silo and Portal are kind of the only tools Im using that are now showing me a tiny glipse of what is maybe going on in this music. I do think there is a lot of recording and editing, but the magic I think is in starting with "live" grains.
ImageImageImageImage

highkoo wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:57 am
ohdoubleu wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:35 pm I'm all for people getting the features they need for their workflows, so hopefully UA will add some scale quantisation features to Silo, but I've always treated granular processing as a little like using a tape delay or a pre-digital outboard effect: somewhere to inject a little unpredictability and to make some happy mistakes.

Though, saying that, there is a ton of music that I like that uses more precise and quantised granular processing, but I always - and maybe wrongly - thought that those parts were edited down from longer sessions as audio. Maybe it's just the devices I use, but I kind of assume that no two passes through with the same MIDI will have the same outcome, so rendering directly to audio is the best solution .
I could have made this post!
Silo could be taken to the next level with a few 'musical' features like that. As it is, its great but limited in its wildness.
I too am hearing music that I can barely explain, even while I am SO close to the processes I know for sure must be generating the sounds. Its been driving me a bit crazy.
Silo and Portal are kind of the only tools Im using that are now showing me a tiny glipse of what is maybe going on in this music. I do think there is a lot of recording and editing, but the magic I think is in starting with "live" grains.
I agree. Despite how I tend to sue these things myself, added options and extra flexibility is always a good option.

Beads with guitar, :wink:

https://youtu.be/U10nsaDcJEk

chrisstiles wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:32 pm Anyone have an opinion on Remnant ?
It's ok. Poor mans Portal imho.

thecontrolcentre wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 6:56 pm
chrisstiles wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:32 pm Anyone have an opinion on Remnant ?
It's ok. Poor mans Portal imho.
Yep. Remnant is not bad per say but very basic and limited, compared to what Output can do. Or the new Arturia Fragments, these are the Bentley of granular effects right now. Remnant is a little funny Toyota :P

hi, my favorite granular effect is that green arturia thing
aliasing plugin owner
:?

martiu wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:23 pm hi, my favorite granular effect is that green arturia thing
Fragments. Yes, it’s very good. I just got it and I like it a lot. Portal’s very good too. If you’re on a budget, RIBS is quite nice.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

It was on my list to buy… but I never got around to it.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Soundmorph have a 30% sale on at the moment. Their Dust really is an excellent granular instrument and FX

zerocrossing wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:48 pm
It was on my list to buy… but I never got around to it.
I think I got it free with something at PB ... :ud:

I'm a big fan of salty grain or reaktor for most stuff. I use crusher x when I gotta get super crazy. My issue with most of the real-time buffer granulizer effects out there is that most of them won't let you generate grains fast enough or or small enough to achieve many of the stranger sounds that are possible with granular delays.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Return to “Effects”