Why do licenses assigned to my PC using Waves License Centre 9 disappear when I disable a USB slot?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Any major hardware change can mess up even a Windows installation. Disabling a port makes the computer "look" different and thus may be another computer? Idk...

robotmonkey wrote: This is just a bad coding practice and stupid implementation that should not encouraged. Computer id profiles should be generated taking into account several pieces of hardware (cpu, motherboard, lan, video). When any single piece of hardware is replaced or malfunctioning then computer id should not change. If two or more components are replaced only then should there be any kind of effect on computer id.
Absolutely - using the nic mac as part of the system fingerprint makes no sense nowdays with usb wifi adaptors etc, it's just sloppy design.

Trouble is the real fix for this would be for intel to give each cpu a proper unique id - which they did on the old pIII and the dropped

Sure if you're doing a planned upgrad of nic or hdd you can just move the license to the cloud, do the upgrade and move it back - but having to burn your once-per-year recovery when a card or drive dies unexpectedly is just unprofessional - either they need to fix wlc, or be more lenient on recoveries ( like every other company )

I have the same problem trying to assign licenses to PC via usb 3G modem.
But I'm don't have time to report issue :(

*edit* all fixed now after a email to Waves.

robotmonkey wrote: Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:03 am You should contact their support and let them know what you think about it.

This is just a bad coding practice and stupid implementation that should not encouraged. Computer id profiles should be generated taking into account several pieces of hardware (cpu, motherboard, lan, video). When any single piece of hardware is replaced or malfunctioning then computer id should not change. If two or more components are replaced only then should there be any kind of effect on computer id.
Not internal components, but external devices represent the identity of my notebook, according to Waves.
A very user-unfriendly solution.
Studio One 6, Waveform Pro 11, Acid Pro 10, NI, Pigments 4

when i simply logged my pc out of my microsoft account in the past, it broke my waves licencing lol.

commerce wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:10 am
robotmonkey wrote: Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:03 am You should contact their support and let them know what you think about it.

This is just a bad coding practice and stupid implementation that should not encouraged. Computer id profiles should be generated taking into account several pieces of hardware (cpu, motherboard, lan, video). When any single piece of hardware is replaced or malfunctioning then computer id should not change. If two or more components are replaced only then should there be any kind of effect on computer id.
Not internal components, but external devices represent the identity of my notebook, according to Waves.
Why don't you start a new thread with your concern?
All these necro threads resurrected are a bit boring to be honest.....

commerce wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:10 am

No its not very user friendly at times, but that wasn't the intention. The actual intention is to make it pirate unfriendly, since they are the real issue here. Without them there would be no need for all this licensing.

Unfortunately, users can sometimes get caught in the crossfire, not just between the pirates and Waves, but the pirates and ANY dev really.

simon.a.billington wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:37 pm users can sometimes get caught in the crossfire
Users always get caught in the crossfire, but nobody cares about that other than the said users.

crickey13 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:56 pm
simon.a.billington wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:37 pm users can sometimes get caught in the crossfire
Users always get caught in the crossfire, but nobody cares about that other than the said users.
It's tough as too much generosity from the companies involved can lead to raised prices trying to compensate for a huge loss, even bankruptcy.

It still sucks, though.

simon.a.billington wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:37 pm
No its not very user friendly at times, but that wasn't the intention. The actual intention is to make it pirate unfriendly, since they are the real issue here. Without them there would be no need for all this licensing.
Is the situation when I am not able to use my plugins at all only "not very user friendly"? What is worse? I cannot imagine.

The result is that I will have to "download" the products that I purchased, because I would like to use them. I do not have these problems with other developers (NI, Arturia, Izotope, AIR, Presonus, Plugin Alliance, etc).

And the solution is so easy: Let the user select the correct MAC address. I would select one from my computer, not from an external device. The idiotic software prefers MAC addresses from external devices.

commerce wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:32 pm
Is the situation when I am not able to use my plugins at all only "not very user friendly"? What is worse? I cannot imagine.

The result is that I will have to "download" the products that I purchased, because I would like to use them. I do not have these problems with other developers (NI, Arturia, Izotope, AIR, Presonus, Plugin Alliance, etc).

And the solution is so easy: Let the user select the correct MAC address. I would select one from my computer, not from an external device. The idiotic software prefers MAC addresses from external devices.
Yes, a very valid point.

Even so, aren't you entitled to a license rescue once per year without a current WUP. I'd imagine that is one of the main reasons why it exists. After all, you tend to no buy new hubs all that often.

simon.a.billington wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:43 am
commerce wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 2:32 pm

Yes, a very valid point.

Even so, aren't you entitled to a license rescue once per year without a current WUP. I'd imagine that is one of the main reasons why it exists. After all, you tend to no buy new hubs all that often.
Yes, I am. But this happens often. So one rescue per year is not enough. What will I do the next 11 months? I would like to use my software the whole year.

The rescue is for the situations like hard drive crashes, not for the malfunction of the software caused by the developers.

Again: Let the user select the correct MAC address. I would select one from my computer, not from an external device. The idiotic software prefers MAC addresses from external devices.

You know how I have to work now?
Before the session I install Waves plugins,
after the session I uninstall them.
Pain in the Waves...

Nevermind.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

commerce wrote: Sun Sep 05, 2021 1:19 am Again: Let the user select the correct MAC address. I would select one from my computer, not from an external device. The idiotic software prefers MAC addresses from external devices.
You point to the solution yourself: authorize without the external MAC address connected. Done forever…
Choosing a MAC address would be a nightmare for support. 99% of all users don‘t have external MAC addresses and 99.99% even don‘t know what it is…

Return to “Effects”