Windows 11 coming very soon

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

There are the first leaks and videos about the new Windows 11 Start menu, and the official event where Microsoft will unveil its next operating system is on June 24.

I'm not sure if it will be just some GUI improvements. What do you guys think about it?

https://www.theverge.com/2021/6/15/2253 ... start-menu

yeah windows 11 is just going to be a new skin :lol:
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

As far as I read, it will be a free update for Windows 10 users (even though I'm not sure about that... can't trust the press these days. More wishful thinking and speculations than facts nowadays), and, as far as I know Microsoft, there will be no major changes under the hood, so what's not to like? ;)

A general tidy up will be nice, I am interested in:

Native aggregated audio devices at last?
Better low latency BT audio support (rumoured)
Anything that makes AISO better (lower latency stuff!) or even native drivers.

Like to see Midi and VR native in edge as well...have to switch to Firefox for some stuff...
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

ATS wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:25 pm yeah windows 11 is just going to be a new skin :lol:
I don't blame them, TBH. There were rumours about a "face lift" for Windows 10 for a while now, and, if they can sell the new look as a new version, they should take advantage of that. Windows 10 has seen (a lot) more changes than any other Windows before, so, it's fair enough if they lift it up one version at some point.

I have heard that Windows 10 will become unsupported in 2025

SLiC wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:27 pm A general tidy up will be nice, I am interested in:

Native aggregated audio devices at last?
Better low latency BT audio support (rumoured)
Anything that makes AISO better (lower latency stuff!) or even native drivers.
I highly doubt that stuff like that is anywhere near the top of their priority list. Especially as ASIO is working fine. And real-time audio is real niche stuff.

seismic1 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:29 pm I have heard that Windows 10 will become unsupported in 2025
I know that that has been reported as news, but, it's old news really.

I ran it a few days ago when the iso leaked. There's a feature pack missing which apparently would contain a lot of the new stuff. For now it's mostly a UI facelift largely lifted from the recently-cancelled Windows 10X. Rounded corners and the taskbar icons and start button are centered by default (kinda like the macOS dock). Which feels a little weird as the date/time and the rest of the taskbar icons are still on the right-hand side.

I'm not sure about the new start menu. It only shows pinned apps on the opening page. You have to click on an all apps button to get to the full app list. Might be handy if you always run the same apps, but then that's what pinning them to the taskbar is for. Saves a click each time too.

Can't comment on audio as I do that on macOS. Windows is for everything else.
Image Image Image Image

seismic1 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:29 pm I have heard that Windows 10 will become unsupported in 2025
MS guarantees support for 10 years from initial release date. Win 10 was released July 29, 2015.

that start menu/task bar just made me think of modern liunx distros.

and wondering how much someone got paid for that start up sound... :)

Maybe the new start menu is a combination of OSX and KDE ;)
Nadella talks about Windows 11 as the biggest update of the decade. I can't imagine that he just means a adjusted start menu and rounded corners for the windows?!

GaryG wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:29 pm that start menu/task bar just made me think of modern liunx distros.
Thankfully they give the option to align the stuff back to the left. Not a fan of sacrificing all that space just to have some fancy design.

Other than that, interface simplifications are always welcome for me, as long as that doesn't limit functionality.

4damind wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:46 pm Maybe the new start menu is a combination of OSX and KDE ;)
Nadella talks about Windows 11 as the biggest update of the decade. I can't imagine that he just means a adjusted start menu and rounded corners for the windows?!
Well... you definitely can see what's important to people these days: Round edges and the startup sound! :D

I wonder if they give us a way in 11 *PRO* to properly control updates... I'd say they wont give, which is a shame.
Soft Knees - Live 12, Diva, Omnisphere, Slate Digital VSX, TDR, Kush Audio, U-He, PA, Valhalla, Fuse, Pulsar, NI, OekSound etc. on Win11Pro R7950X & RME AiO Pro
https://www.youtube.com/@softknees/videos Music & Demoscene

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”