Studio One 5 Available Now (5.3 Out June 29th, 2021)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Studio One Artist Studio One Professional

Thanks
The first is silly imo...simplify the algorithm...just like all other daws
The latter should be implemented but whatever would just be a bonus

bundoo wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:59 am The first is silly imo...simplify the algorithm...just like all other daws
There's nothing to simplify - pitch & length are mathematically related in tape mode. Also just above Pitch in Track Inspector there's a parameter for tempo scaling, that will shorten the clip (make the pitch higher) when <1 and lengthen (lower pitch) if >1. You can also Alt+drag edge of the clip to achieve the same effect.

Still, it would make sense for Presonus to allow for changing the Pitch in Track Inspector, which would automatically change the clip's length and tempo scaling - please add a FR.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

hi guys,anyone uses studio one for film/video scoring? do you guys adjust for video latency when extracting audio from video?

Anybody else having issues after the latest shitty Win 10 update ? Apart from general use it seems to have screwed up Studio One and certain plugins

Can't use any of my waves plugins, they load up in the browser but when I drag them they go to load but nothing happens

In projects where they already exist, Studio One says they're not installed, yet they show in the browser

What the hell is going on ? I tried to install the plugins again and nothing changes

Doesn't work in Ableton either

Nevermind I found the solution - https://forums.presonus.com/viewtopic.php?f=151&t=45453 issue with Microsoft redistributables not being installed correctly post win 10 update
Last edited by Digivolt on Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

antic604 wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:59 am
bundoo wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 5:59 am The first is silly imo...simplify the algorithm...just like all other daws
There's nothing to simplify - pitch & length are mathematically related in tape mode. Also just above Pitch in Track Inspector there's a parameter for tempo scaling, that will shorten the clip (make the pitch higher) when <1 and lengthen (lower pitch) if >1. You can also Alt+drag edge of the clip to achieve the same effect.

Still, it would make sense for Presonus to allow for changing the Pitch in Track Inspector, which would automatically change the clip's length and tempo scaling - please add a FR.
Some DAWs using that same zPlane algorithm grey out fields that will have no effect to properly set user exceptions. The ones that don't have (I'm assuming) implemented it so that transposition still takes effect the way that you describe- Transpose setting taken into account in the resultant "Timestretch" value. Studio One is the only one I've seen that just leaves a bunch of fields open to editing that do nothing in that mode. There's a few spots in the software where they've done this. I can only assume someone who developed it thinks users should be "smart enough" to instinctively know which fields will and won't have effect for any given algorithm. I'm not even sure if it's in the manual, though.

Does anyone have this issue?
https://youtu.be/Hy0BDMzmoGM

I've tried it on two different machines, an Intel based laptop and Ryzen desktop and it's the same. I've reported the bug like almost a year ago and it hasn't been fixed. I'm curious if it's replicable for you too, guys.

SaturdayNightWrist wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:10 pm hi guys,anyone uses studio one for film/video scoring? do you guys adjust for video latency when extracting audio from video?
Are you able to further describe your issue? Are you talking about how to set your song frame rate for video? Or perhaps how to sync audio and video? Or perhaps adjusting for latency with your instruments?

What are you trying to do exactly?
Bitwig Certified Trainer

nIGhT-SoN wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:12 pm Does anyone have this issue?

I've tried it on two different machines, an Intel based laptop and Ryzen desktop and it's the same. I've reported the bug like almost a year ago and it hasn't been fixed. I'm curious if it's replicable for you too, guys.
Yes, I've never seen it before, but I replicated same issue - notes not firing - on my PC, Win10Prox64 latest build - 5.2.1.64495.
The odd thing is how if there's a cluster of notes followed by another cluster the first one doesn't sound at all, but the second one plays fine. Then on looping it's the same issue, first one doesn't fire again.

tbh probably never noticed it because I never use that arpeggiator, it's really limited and prefer to use the free BlueArp plugin which is much more powerful and obviously as it's a plugin you can use in other DAWs it means I can create an arp pattern and reuse it in places other than Studio One.
http://graywolf2004.net/wp/

Edit: Actually playing with that arp stuff a bit more it's more random than always failing to play the notes in the first part. Sometimes I can get it to play fine. Sometimes it seems to trigger the arp in a mad way and play 1/64th notes.
Just don't use it is still my recommendation. But, at least can back up that there is some mad buggy behaviour.

Edit #2: Even stranger, I could get weird shit to happen by just stretching one note between bars 2 and 9 and then setting a loop between 1 and 10. The arp sometimes didn't play at and then sometimes started playing at about bar 7 even though it was all on just one long note!

I've never liked the way they implemented Note FX in Studio One, much prefer Reaper where any track can be any type of track and you get complete control over the inputs, outputs and routings between them.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

Yes, sadly the Arpeggiator does not behave how anyone would expect an arpeggiator to behave. For some bizarre reason it's tied to the locator position. That, coupled with its lack of retrigger options, means depending on when and where you start playback you can miss notes, chords, or like the previous poster noticed, entire bars of input.

I'm going to assume (based on old forum posts) Presonus just considers this a limitation of how they designed it. They haven't done anything with NoteFX in quite some time so I wouldn't be surprised if instead of fixing it they just replace it with a new Arpeggiator, kind of like they did with the new-ish Analog Delay. There were a few bugs in it for a long time and they eventually just re-did it from the ground up with a whole different approach.

billcarroll wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:31 pm
SaturdayNightWrist wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:10 pm hi guys,anyone uses studio one for film/video scoring? do you guys adjust for video latency when extracting audio from video?
Are you able to further describe your issue? Are you talking about how to set your song frame rate for video? Or perhaps how to sync audio and video? Or perhaps adjusting for latency with your instruments?

Hi bill, when importing video and extracting its audio to s1, I found out there were a few frames out of sync with the direct audio from the video box and the extracted one..manual adjustment on the video is needed to align them😅
i was a few frames off with the music cues when i delivered the files for post..i later found out there was latency between the extracted audio and the actual video audio…adjusting the offset on the video box was a simple fix but if someone’s unaware of it, this might cause a bit of a minor inconve when sending your audio to post or other daws..haha especially when clients are ocd about being on point with music/sound cues🤣

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:15 pm
nIGhT-SoN wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:12 pm Does anyone have this issue?

Yes, I've never seen it before, but I replicated same issue - notes not firing - on my PC, Win10Prox64 latest build - 5.2.1.64495.
The odd thing is how if there's a cluster of notes followed by another cluster the first one doesn't sound at all, but the second one plays fine. Then on looping it's the same issue, first one doesn't fire again.

tbh probably never noticed it because I never use that arpeggiator, it's really limited and prefer to use the free BlueArp plugin which is much more powerful and obviously as it's a plugin you can use in other DAWs it means I can create an arp pattern and reuse it in places other than Studio One.
http://graywolf2004.net/wp/

Edit: Actually playing with that arp stuff a bit more it's more random than always failing to play the notes in the first part. Sometimes I can get it to play fine. Sometimes it seems to trigger the arp in a mad way and play 1/64th notes.
Just don't use it is still my recommendation. But, at least can back up that there is some mad buggy behaviour.

Edit #2: Even stranger, I could get weird shit to happen by just stretching one note between bars 2 and 9 and then setting a loop between 1 and 10. The arp sometimes didn't play at and then sometimes started playing at about bar 7 even though it was all on just one long note!

I've never liked the way they implemented Note FX in Studio One, much prefer Reaper where any track can be any type of track and you get complete control over the inputs, outputs and routings between them.
The funny thing is when I opened a support ticket, they said they can't replicate this issue, which is weird, but thank you for confirming. PreSonus just uploaded a video about note fx, left them a comment with this issue, hope they fix it.

@oneway I wouldn't mind if they would remake it, as long as it will work as it should. What I would love the most is to add midi fx support, this way you could use something else, maybe even more powerful, like Cthulhu.

As it is right now, it's a bit annoying to set it up and selecting the track with arpeggiator, then activating monitoring on the instrument track you what to be arpeggiated.

nIGhT-SoN wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:37 am As it is right now, it's a bit annoying to set it up and selecting the track with arpeggiator, then activating monitoring on the instrument track you what to be arpeggiated.
Are you getting decent results doing that? Sending midi between tracks isn't latency compensated in Studio One, so I use things like VM to run two plugins on one track without all that lag printing the notes.

It's ok for production purposes, didn't notice any latency, but I haven't tried it in live situations.

SaturdayNightWrist wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:57 am
billcarroll wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:31 pm

Hi bill, when importing video and extracting its audio to s1, I found out there were a few frames out of sync with the direct audio from the video box and the extracted one..manual adjustment on the video is needed to align them😅
i was a few frames off with the music cues when i delivered the files for post..i later found out there was latency between the extracted audio and the actual video audio…adjusting the offset on the video box was a simple fix but if someone’s unaware of it, this might cause a bit of a minor inconve when sending your audio to post or other daws..haha especially when clients are ocd about being on point with music/sound cues🤣
That's really interesting. I'm usually just pulling in video with no audio, and I use other tools on my Mac to separate audio and video when needed, so Hadn't run into this. Thanks for sharing.
Bitwig Certified Trainer

Presonus can we let the synth developers worry about arps ( which they excel at btw ),and can your dev's focus on FR's we need like a better browser? thnx
INTERFACE: RME ADI-2/4 Pro/Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core/BAE 1073 MPF Dual/Heritage Audio Successor+SYMPH EQ
SYNTHS: Yamaha Montage M8x/Sequential Trigon 6/Take 5/ASM Hydrasynth
Korg Prologue16\Behringer DM12D/Pro-800/Meris Pedals

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”