Your fave MIDI fx, arp, mapper, mangler, generator, chorder, controller, utility. VST or MFX

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
KVRAF
6759 posts since 30 Apr, 2019

Post Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:21 am

gExpectations wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:52 am
Is there any tool that gives me just a chord to key mapper that displays as many chords as possible in a scale?
I've not used it myself, but seem to remember Forager does this?
https://youtu.be/GYVcJp42xvk
https://harvestplugin.com/forager/

KVRAF

Post Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:25 am

nordickvr wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:19 am
Animation Station by Sample Logic just launched.
Seems interesting.
Youtube trailer link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moXC7YE_sE0&t=4s
Interesting that they've finally moved into plugins rather than just another Kontakt instrument. I have a number of their instruments like Drum Fury, Guitar Fury and MAP, but they can put a big load on system resources due to all the samples involved so nice if they've decoupled the brains of those instruments from Kontakt to use with our own sources.

TR4
KVRer
24 posts since 14 Jun, 2019

Post Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:30 am

gExpectations wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:52 am
Is there any tool that gives me just a chord to key mapper that displays as many chords as possible in a scale?
Dunno if this helps at all, but maybe Harvest Forager? Image

Edit: Ninja'd by WatchTheGuitar :oops:

KVRAF

Post Tue Jun 15, 2021 3:49 am

KVRAF

Post Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:24 am

Looked at that Sample Login plugin. Already have a bunch of arps and sequencers that can do the same thing and add other functionality like probabilities or simple chaining eg. the new HY-SEQ32.
Even with its intro deal, $99 is way, way overpriced IMO.

KVRian
1420 posts since 13 Jan, 2014

Post Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:50 am

WatchTheGuitar wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:24 am
Looked at that Sample Login plugin. Already have a bunch of arps and sequencers that can do the same thing and add other functionality like probabilities or simple chaining eg. the new HY-SEQ32.
Exactly my thoughts. And if you have one of the Samplelogic libraries already with arp/sequencer (like Arpology or even the real old Cyclone retwisted) you have all that functionalities already including drag and drop. Nice stylish GUI and, as you said, way overpriced.

KVRist
60 posts since 16 Dec, 2014

Post Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:23 am

WatchTheGuitar wrote:
Yep! If anybody wants to drop a C-note and post a review, I'd like to read it. I watched Reuben's overview on YT and was struck by how much this looks like an Audio Modern plug ( Riffer, ChordJam, PlayBeat, etc). I wonder if it was a collaboration or license deal. Other than the randomizer, I am not seeing anything beyond the abilities of Cthulhu, BlueARP, etc.
Homebrew MSI Ryzen 3700x 32G RAM 4.5 Ghz, Win 10 Pro 21H1, Focusrite 2i2 v3 i/o, Alesis VX-49 kybd, ATOM pad, Biwig 3.4, Cakewalk, Studio One 5.x, FLstudio 20.x, everything 64 bit only.

KVRAF
1627 posts since 25 Feb, 2005

Post Tue Jun 15, 2021 10:44 am

WatchTheGuitar wrote:
In watching Reubens walkthrough video I was waiting for the USP but it never came. Crazy pricing for something that a host of others do at less than half the price of this.
Mac Pro
Cubase 11, Ableton Live 11

KVRist
163 posts since 8 Dec, 2014

Post Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:25 am

@watchtheguitar @tr4 Thanks! You guys are pretty much on the money. I still I really like sundog studio's overview screen, where I can just audit all chords without extra clicks. I think I'll go with that one (or demo both soon).

KVRist
146 posts since 13 Jul, 2005 from Longview, WA

Post Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:53 am

gExpectations wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:25 am
I still I really like sundog studio's overview screen, where I can just audit all chords without extra clicks. I think I'll go with that one (or demo both soon).
I’m with you there. I haven’t found anything as quick or easy as Sundog’s overview screen. I recall wanting to demo Forager, but I don’t think you can? 30 day money back kind of thing. I could be wrong.

KVRist
431 posts since 14 Aug, 2012

Post Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:16 am

Regarding Sample Logic's new Animation Station: am I just missing it (certainly possible), or is there no demo available? I'm very much in the target audience for this and am predisposed towards buying it (just like I am towards any interesting MidiFX plugin), but not if I can't test it out at all (or confirm that it loads in my system). A couple of short videos are not enough to get me to drop even the $99 intro price without a demo.

KVRian
508 posts since 28 Oct, 2014

Post Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:38 am

Any Logic users on this thread? This might be of interest. It's a random sequencer in the form of a script for the Scripter plugin.

https://gumroad.com/l/randomthemepark

KVRist
232 posts since 17 Mar, 2012 from Montreal

Post Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:50 pm

onerob wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:38 am
Any Logic users on this thread? This might be of interest. It's a random sequencer in the form of a script for the Scripter plugin.

Fun plugin, but how am I suppose to organize a random sequence in my song? In fact, after 10+ years producing, I'm still not clear why anyone would want random anything in a sequencer or wether modulation parameters. Like how can I capture something that has already passed? Constantly record the sequence till I like something? Sounds cumbersome.

KVRAF
5829 posts since 6 Jan, 2017 from Outer Space

Post Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:06 am

Raddler1 wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:50 pm
onerob wrote:

Fun plugin, but how am I suppose to organize a random sequence in my song? In fact, after 10+ years producing, I'm still not clear why anyone would want random anything in a sequencer or wether modulation parameters. Like how can I capture something that has already passed? Constantly record the sequence till I like something? Sounds cumbersome.
My question would rather be why anyone would want something fixed. When I hear music, the most rewarding thing is surprise! As someone who makes music I also long for surprise. The craft behind random decisions is to control them in a way, that they sound always good, never the same and surprise you positively. Its a craft, not easy to learn but very rewarding…
Get the ION app from Jean-Michel Jarre, to get an idea, which is an example I would call accessible for a typical 4 to the floor audience…

KVRian
508 posts since 28 Oct, 2014

Post Fri Jun 18, 2021 3:35 am

Raddler1 wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 4:50 pm
onerob wrote:

Fun is good! But with that script it's possible to set a fixed 'seed' on the randomization so you can audition different sequences and retain the one you like.

As for the overall concept of randomizing, some composers, like Brian Eno, accept loss of control as part of the process. Even without randomization, we often end up producing something quite different to the original idea we had in our heads.

Return to “Effects”