Devious Machines Infiltrator

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Infiltrator

fairlyclose wrote: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:13 pm
jcredland wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:25 pm
epiphaneia wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:07 pm That´s what I thought, but setting modulation speed to 128 bars and having (e.g.) a phaser or frequency shift slowly change over several minutes without having to draw automation curves got me :phones:
Awesome. I thought someone would appreciate an LFO that could play really slowly :-)

It also goes to the low audio rates in free mode which should make for some wacky noises.
even finer gradations for the rate would suit me eg 0.015 or 128 and also 127 bars as I make abstract and installation work that can be 20 mins or longer and am loving the free running modes - even so I really appreciate the long time scales and that is one of the reasons I have bought infiltrator. I dont really do beats at all much but Infiltrator is still great for me
I’ll have a think about whether we could do arbitrary bar divisions somehow.

But yes it’s great for non glitchy non beat centric effects as well. We’ve just pitched the marketing mainly at the high energy uses. :)

+1 for Midi Learn CC or setting a Midi CC number - for the main internal controls.

I had the idea to use mini notes to control the Main control knob for effects like the FM or Ring Mod. For example Rift by Minimal Audio lets me control the Frequency of the feedback with midi notes - that sort of thing. If it's not a built in feature of the plugin then I could use a plugin like Piz MidiNotesToCC to control the knobs. But this requires the knobs to have an assigned CC value to control them from midi notes.

I'm aware the main controls are exposed from the vst for automation but since they don't have a CC value I'm having trouble finding a way to do this type of setup.

This actually looks super rad and what I wanted effectrix always to be (never picked it up, I came to it late). I picked up Shaperbox last winter but I'm not vibing too much with anything that isn't the timeshaper (although I used the filtershaper a fair bit, just for lfo automation I think something simpler like lfo tool -- which i dont own -- would be more handy). I'm really trying to resist picking this up right now.

gExpectations wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:14 pm This actually looks super rad and what I wanted effectrix always to be (never picked it up, I came to it late). I picked up Shaperbox last winter but I'm not vibing too much with anything that isn't the timeshaper (although I used the filtershaper a fair bit, just for lfo automation I think something simpler like lfo tool -- which i dont own -- would be more handy). I'm really trying to resist picking this up right now.
Well, don't let me twist your arm too hard, but Infiltrator has some very nice filters ;-)

Ranoka wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:03 pm +1 for Midi Learn CC or setting a Midi CC number - for the main internal controls.

I had the idea to use mini notes to control the Main control knob for effects like the FM or Ring Mod. For example Rift by Minimal Audio lets me control the Frequency of the feedback with midi notes - that sort of thing.
I'll put midi note control on the list to consider for the next update! I think Midi CCs are already on there!

jcredland wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:37 pm Well, don't let me twist your arm too hard, but Infiltrator has some very nice filters ;-)
Filters sound good, I make sure to do some resonant sweeps in the demo. But to be real for a second: I spent way too much money on music stuff for like 3 years without really doing anything. So my new rule is, I have to establish a workflow first and then get stuff if I'm actually missing anything :hihi:. Infiltrator looks great tho, as I said!

Currently demoing it.
Infiltrator doesn't seem to have external audio sidechain. Am I right?
Also, is there a function similar to timeshaper in shaperbox (or any time shifting plugin) ?

Try the looper, im not sure you can create a "half-time" effect tho if youre looking for that.

A timestretch effect would be cool.

Chauzou wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:39 pm Currently demoing it.
Also, is there a function similar to timeshaper in shaperbox (or any time shifting plugin) ?
Sidechain and more effects are on the list as possible future features. I'll make sure we've added 'time-shifting' to the list :)

jcredland wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:19 am
Chauzou wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:39 pm Currently demoing it.
Sidechain and more effects are on the list as possible future features. I'll make sure we've added 'time-shifting' to the list :)
Excellent! I could defo go for some time shifting goodness in Infiltrator!
Always Read the Manual!

Okay I did some more demoing, here are the things I was wishing for while I was building a pattern. Maybe some of those things are possible but I haven't figured it out? Also I'm fully aware that this is completely subjective and maybe not feasible.

I wish:
  • I could apply an effect to a prefiltered signal. I was using the ringmod in a way I liked but I didn't want to lose my lowend. I actually think this would be a major improvement, since creating a workaround isn't the most effortless.
  • I could automate (per curve) not only the main function but also the other two effect settings you provide (orange). Maybe this is possible?
  • I had some basic LFO shapes and maybe a randomizer. I can easily do this in BitWig tho. I also suppose this wouldn't really be necessary if I had multiple automation lanes per effect.
That's it. Also I was expecting the comb filter to have the main button labelled in ms but probaby I just dont understand DSP to know why its in hz and labelled cutoff.

gExpectations wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:10 pm Also I was expecting the comb filter to have the main button labelled in ms but probaby I just dont understand DSP to know why its in hz and labelled cutoff.
Comb filter is a pitch effect in Infiltrator. I never think of pitch in ms.

gExpectations wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:10 pm
  • I could apply an effect to a prefiltered signal. I was using the ringmod in a way I liked but I didn't want to lose my lowend. I actually think this would be a major improvement, since creating a workaround isn't the most effortless.
Is this not what the 'Clean Bass' button does, or am I misunderstanding?
[*] I could automate (per curve) not only the main function but also the other two effect settings you provide (orange). Maybe this is possible?
Popular request. Noted.
[*] I had some basic LFO shapes and maybe a randomizer. I can easily do this in BitWig tho. I also suppose this wouldn't really be necessary if I had multiple automation lanes per effect.
You mean in addition to the main LFO?
That's it. Also I was expecting the comb filter to have the main button labelled in ms but probaby I just dont understand DSP to know why its in hz and labelled cutoff.
You can think of it in both ways, but it makes such a clear tone with the feedback turned up that it's most useful to think of it in Hz. The reciprocal of the frequency would give you the length of oscillation in seconds, e.g. 100Hz == 10ms. (i.e. 1 divided by 100).

cheers! Jim.

jcredland wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:47 pm Is this not what the 'Clean Bass' button does, or am I misunderstanding?
No, youre right. I missed that, I always glossed over the master section. Maybe this could be a per lane option but I think a global filter gets you there most cases.
You mean in addition to the main LFO?
Yes, just some additional baked in parameter modulation options would be nice. But to be honest I can do most of the simple things very easily in bitwig.

Thanks for your response and explanation!

Return to “Effects”