Windows 11 coming very soon

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

JamminFool wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:42 pm
Erisian wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:39 pm
JamminFool wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:36 pm
Erisian wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:34 pm
JamminFool wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:22 pm this story suggest early benchmarks indicate Win 11 to be significantly faster than Win 10:

https://mspoweruser.com/early-benchmark ... indows-10/
And probably more bloated with more unnecessary gimmicks and a tighter hold on which software you can install and use by default via a newer and more limited form of S Mode trying to force you to use only MS Store apps. Probably other sh*t too!
you are speculating. can you provide anything to back up your ranting?
Yes. My experience with Win10 and the nightmare I had trying to disable S Mode and the amount of ridiculous gimmicks from os to os has steadily risen over the decades. Designed to enthrall small minded people who get excited with gimmicks rather than to be practical for the user.
that is an experience from the past which gives you bad memories but has zero credibility with predicting the future.
Apart from that it's a subjective experience, and most probably not remotely close to being a "nightmare". But, hey... I got used to people feaking out over Windows. It's the most used OS, so, it's obvious that it gets a beating from people who want to be different somehow the whole time.
Last edited by chk071 on Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Erisian wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:11 pm Why? Because this actually happened to me? That's not my fault! Are you intellectually challenged or something? If you have a diagnosis of some sort, I'll let it pass, but wake up. Have you even heard of S Mode? Have you ever considered that softly rolling windows that expand when you hover your mouse over them are not necessary? How many times have you ever used MS Paint or any of the other MS software bundled with Winbloat? What exactly are you criticizing about my post and why?
Actually, I used MS Paint in the past a few times. If that's your example of "bloat" it's a complete fail. Other companies, like Apple, fill their OS with much more bloat, yet they are heralded it every day. And (what's even worse) they break software compatibility EVERY YEAR.

Windows 10 is a solid OS, with a footprint that's perfectly neglectable. And it preserves backwards compatibility. I have some software running on it that dates back from Windows XP. If you don't like MS Paint, don't use it. Just ignore it is there. It's not like it will awake you in the middle of your sleep :roll:

If you suffer from some kind of OCD, then you better do something else, instead of working with computers. Or write your own OS and your own software, as others suggested.
Fernando (FMR)

Funnily, the people always arguing like that, and then preferring Windows have to live with lots of pre-installed software on their Linux distros as well then... at least I haven't really come along a single Linux distro which doesn't come with pre-installed browser, email client, Office suite, picture editing software, picture management software, and several games. All better in Linux world though, of course.

It's like needing Alexa to stop Amazon from sharing your internet.

He just wants it to be perfect for him, but seems to forget that other people have needs different from his. Typical of the "me" age we live in.

chk071 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:48 pm Funnily, the people always arguing like that, and then preferring Windows have to live with lots of pre-installed software on their Linux distros as well then... at least I haven't really come along a single Linux distro which doesn't come with pre-installed browser, email client, Office suite, picture editing software, picture management software, and several games. All better in Linux world though, of course.
There are minimal install versions of many, if not most distros. Also, with Linux, you don't have to live with anything. Really, there's no comparison. There is some concern over proprietary drivers which can limit the hardware that you use. There is also some concern when large vendors make unpopular changes, such as Ubuntu with the godawful mac-like desktop, the name slips my mind. But there are always workarounds that, for any seasoned Linux user, are not challenging to engage.

To stay on topic, the trend with Microsoft towards a more closed cloud based ecosystem is a real concern. I mentioned their small changes in another thread. For example, it's a hassle at the moment to create a local account. It would not surprise me that Microsoft wants to go the route that Apple has taken and use FUD and inconvenience to make it difficult if not impossible to install non-authorized apps.

I've done some excellent work in MSPaint.

donkey tugger wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:06 pm I've done some excellent work in MSPaint.
Let me guess: your avatar? :hihi:
The hole is deeper than the hum of its farts

ghettosynth wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:02 pm
chk071 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:48 pm Funnily, the people always arguing like that, and then preferring Windows have to live with lots of pre-installed software on their Linux distros as well then... at least I haven't really come along a single Linux distro which doesn't come with pre-installed browser, email client, Office suite, picture editing software, picture management software, and several games. All better in Linux world though, of course.
There are minimal install versions of many, if not most distros. Also, with Linux, you don't have to live with anything. Really, there's no comparison. There is some concern over proprietary drivers which can limit the hardware that you use. There is also some concern when large vendors make unpopular changes, such as Ubuntu with the godawful mac-like desktop, the name slips my mind. But there are always workarounds that, for any seasoned Linux user, are not challenging to engage.
Well... if you want to tweak the hell out of your system, there are also way to install a minimal Windows 10. So, that's not really an argument, especially as most Linux distros don't come in a minimal form by default.

I hear that since decades now. "Windows can't do this, Windows can't do that." Mostly from people who haven't used Windows for decades as well. Linux bash pros also don't know that most of the stuff they do is possible in Windows as well. It's just that it's so much more hip to do it on Linux. ;) Talking about geeks here, of course, not normal users. Normal users don't give a shit what's hip in the geeky domain.

Linux. The Reaper of operating systems.
There are two kinds of people in the world. Those which can finish a tune, and those which has 300 two-bar loops.

Macbook Pro, for Reason + VSTis only. No interference with work (use a windows lap for that), no social media, no bank account, no word, no paint, no nothing. Just me, my music software, my Nektars and Mac. Aaaaaaaaaaah! Just works…..tho you have to turn off auto update whenever they release a new OS and wait until the DEVs are onboard.
Tribe Of Hǫfuð https://soundcloud.com/user-228690154 "First rule: From one perfect consonance to another perfect consonance one must proceed in contrary or oblique motion." Johann Joseph Fux 1725.

chk071 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:38 pm
ghettosynth wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:02 pm
Well... if you want to tweak the hell out of your system, there are also way to install a minimal Windows 10. So, that's not really an argument, especially as most Linux distros don't come in a minimal form by default.
As someone who's done both and runs Linux daily, the difference is non-trivial. Linux is easy, Windows not so much. The minimal installs of Linux do not require you to "tweak the hell out of your system." You simply download the minimal install, install, and install the applications that you want. That is it.
I hear that since decades now. "Windows can't do this, Windows can't do that." Mostly from people who haven't used Windows for decades as well. Linux bash pros also don't know that most of the stuff they do is possible in Windows as well. It's just that it's so much more hip to do it on Linux. ;) Talking about geeks here, of course, not normal users. Normal users don't give a shit what's hip in the geeky domain.
It has nothing to do with hipness. Nor does it have to do with what's possible here or there. I'm simply telling you that your understanding of the impact of default applications in Linux is misguided. It's really trivial to remove them or not install them in the first place and you don't need congress to make laws for this to happen.

As far as Windows goes, I used Black Viber’s configuration tweaks back in the days to get the most out of my laptops. At best, it released 13-15 % in performance, but that had an impact on running music software. To me, problem was not bloat, but having a sea of services running in the background taking up juice and slowing things down for no good.

http://www.blackviper.com/service-confi ... gurations/
Tribe Of Hǫfuð https://soundcloud.com/user-228690154 "First rule: From one perfect consonance to another perfect consonance one must proceed in contrary or oblique motion." Johann Joseph Fux 1725.

TribeOfHǫfuð wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:07 pm Macbook Pro, for Reason + VSTis only. No interference with work (use a windows lap for that), no social media, no bank account, no word, no paint, no nothing. Just me, my music software, my Nektars and Mac. Aaaaaaaaaaah! Just works…..tho you have to turn off auto update whenever they release a new OS and wait until the DEVs are onboard.
Nice. I'm happy for you that you found a setup that works for you.
But this discussion is about Windows 11.

Really? Then why are people talking about Linux? (I reacted to the Linux = Reaper of OS) :wink: Want to thread police, you better start there. However, I also gave a configuration link regarding Windows, so no one is left behind.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”