Windows 11 coming very soon

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

another article confirming benchmark results:

https://mspoweruser.com/second-set-of-b ... e-support/

Dragging this stinking corpse of a thread back on topic...

Windows bloat is a no brainer, Google win 10 debloater script and within minutes you'll have lost all the candy crush etc shite, even the 3d objects shortcuts... Then review your privacy settings and at that point I think win 10 is good to go for most people audio-wise.

And for balance, I've recently reinstalled win 10 and installed Ubuntustudio to an old laptop, both took roughly the same amount of time and both had similar levels of tweaking (ie. not much at all) to get to a level I could stay making music.

So, I think this pissing contests is now a little irrelevant, choose your OS and get on with it

I found these 20 ways to optimize your Windows computer for audio.

https://bandzoogle.com/blog/20-ways-to- ... production

Don't know about the turning off of firewall and protection, tho.

Could be more effective if combined with Black Viber's tweaks, I guess.

Speaking of which, I remember a Swedish (I think) company some decades ago who went as far as removing certain hardware parts of Window laptops to optimize them for audio. I do not recall their name, but do anyone knows who I may be talking about and if they are still in business somehow?
Last edited by TribeOfHǫfuð on Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tribe Of Hǫfuð https://soundcloud.com/user-228690154 "First rule: From one perfect consonance to another perfect consonance one must proceed in contrary or oblique motion." Johann Joseph Fux 1725.

JamminFool wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:02 am another article confirming benchmark results:

I have also seen the other benchmark on YouTube. but I am a bit skeptical ;)
Until Microsoft officially confirms what they've improved under the hood, it could also be due to updated drivers etc.

4damind wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:24 am
JamminFool wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:02 am another article confirming benchmark results:

I have also seen the other benchmark on YouTube. but I am a bit skeptical ;)
Until Microsoft officially confirms what they've improved under the hood, it could also be due to updated drivers etc.
of course it is wise to remain skeptical. i agree. however, these early reports are encouraging. and even if it is updated drivers which cause the increased performance, i am happy to take it!

TribeOfHǫfuð wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:21 am I found these 20 ways to optimize your Windows computer for audio.

https://bandzoogle.com/blog/20-ways-to- ... production

Don't know about the turning off of firewall and protection, tho.

Could be more effective if combined with Black Viber's tweaks, I guess.

Speaking of which, I remember a Swedish (I think) company some decades ago who went as far as removing certain hardware parts of Window laptops to optimize them for audio. I do not recall their name, but do anyone knows who I may be talking about and if they are still in business somehow?
Modern computers with a decent AISO IO device just seem to work in most cases without any tweaking....unless you actually have problems I won't bother, its more of a habit than anything else!

I did have problems once with a new DELL XPS laptop, bad DPC latency, just needed to get rid of a shitty MAX Audio 3D driver and everything DELL had added to 'monitor' the laptop!

I hope Win 11 is good, I have no issues with a new OS, it seems to look pretty cool and if its more efficient I think everyone will be happy!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

GaryG wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:14 am Dragging this stinking corpse of a thread back on topic...

Windows bloat is a no brainer, Google win 10 debloater script and within minutes you'll have lost all the candy crush etc shite, even the 3d objects shortcuts... Then review your privacy settings and at that point I think win 10 is good to go for most people audio-wise.
I really can't recommend using such apps/scripts. You won't believe how many support requests in Windows forum are due to a messed up system by such uninstallers/system "optimizers"/what not applications.

Some apps are definitive not recommended to uninstall. The games are probably no problem. Other apps, which are connected to some services, or other installed apps, not so.

That's the whole reason why people are complaining about stability of their Windows systems: They mess everything up themselves.

chk071 wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:47 am That's the whole reason why people are complaining about stability of their Windows systems: They mess everything up themselves.
lol. so often true!

No shit. :) Can't count how many support requests I've seen in Windows forums which turned out to be a case of "User installs shit which messes up system and then blames Windows".

The most update issues are down to those super great security suites as well.

also, i don't like bloat either, but to be fair: most of the bloat mentioned so far has zero affect on your audio needs, unless you need several hundred megabytes of additional disk space. i delete that stuff because i want to, not because i need to in order to get audio work done.

as pointed out by others, all of the various OS's have a certain amount of "extras" that not every user currently needs.

dupe. sorry.

That's the way I see it too. It would be different if the pre-installed stuff would run in the background, but, it doesn't.

And, yes, Windows has more stuff running in the background than Mac OS, for example. It's a general purpose OS, with focus on ease of use. Which means that it doesn't force the user to go geeky, and activate or deactivate services. It already has a lot of services running for different purposes, which the user might or might not need. You'll have to live with that. Or, you go geeky, and check some websites on which services you can deactivate, and what they do. But, you better know what you're doing then.

Anyway... think I also lost the topic. Ah, right. Windows 11. ;)

SLiC wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:43 am Modern computers with a decent AISO IO device just seem to work in most cases without any tweaking....unless you actually have problems I won't bother, its more of a habit than anything else!
I believe you. I left the PC approach in 2016. Already at that point, the need for tweaking Windows had gone steady downwards for a decade. The benefits became smaller and smaller, like below 5% performance increase for tons of tweaks.

The only reason I bought a Mac when I returned last year was because my only Win Laptop is my working PC, and they have filled it with so much security, apps, communication and network stuff that it kills creativity just by sight.
Tribe Of Hǫfuð https://soundcloud.com/user-228690154 "First rule: From one perfect consonance to another perfect consonance one must proceed in contrary or oblique motion." Johann Joseph Fux 1725.

All I do to optimise my Windows 10 computer is change to the Dark Theme, install my software and pin things to Start.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

I see zero reason to optimize my system really. With nowadays CPU's, the consumption of anything in the background will be 1% or less.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”