Windows 11 coming very soon

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
KVRian
1290 posts since 16 Apr, 2004

Post Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:02 am

another article confirming benchmark results:

https://mspoweruser.com/second-set-of-b ... e-support/

User avatar
KVRAF
6515 posts since 13 Jan, 2003 from Darkest Kent, UK

Post Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:14 am

Dragging this stinking corpse of a thread back on topic...

Windows bloat is a no brainer, Google win 10 debloater script and within minutes you'll have lost all the candy crush etc shite, even the 3d objects shortcuts... Then review your privacy settings and at that point I think win 10 is good to go for most people audio-wise.

And for balance, I've recently reinstalled win 10 and installed Ubuntustudio to an old laptop, both took roughly the same amount of time and both had similar levels of tweaking (ie. not much at all) to get to a level I could stay making music.

So, I think this pissing contests is now a little irrelevant, choose your OS and get on with it
()_()
(O.o)
(")(")

User avatar
KVRist
474 posts since 4 Feb, 2021

Post Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:21 am

I found these 20 ways to optimize your Windows computer for audio.

https://bandzoogle.com/blog/20-ways-to- ... production

Don't know about the turning off of firewall and protection, tho.

Could be more effective if combined with Black Viber's tweaks, I guess.

Speaking of which, I remember a Swedish (I think) company some decades ago who went as far as removing certain hardware parts of Window laptops to optimize them for audio. I do not recall their name, but do anyone knows who I may be talking about and if they are still in business somehow?
Last edited by TribeOfHǫfuð on Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tribe Of Hǫfuð https://soundcloud.com/user-228690154 "First rule: From one perfect consonance to another perfect consonance one must proceed in contrary or obligue motion." Johann Joseph Fux 1725.

User avatar
KVRAF

Topic Starter

5404 posts since 17 Aug, 2004 from Berlin, Germany

Post Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:24 am

JamminFool wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:02 am
another article confirming benchmark results:

https://mspoweruser.com/second-set-of-b ... e-support/
I have also seen the other benchmark on YouTube. but I am a bit skeptical ;)
Until Microsoft officially confirms what they've improved under the hood, it could also be due to updated drivers etc.

KVRian
1290 posts since 16 Apr, 2004

Post Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:33 am

4damind wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:24 am
JamminFool wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:02 am
another article confirming benchmark results:

https://mspoweruser.com/second-set-of-b ... e-support/
I have also seen the other benchmark on YouTube. but I am a bit skeptical ;)
Until Microsoft officially confirms what they've improved under the hood, it could also be due to updated drivers etc.
of course it is wise to remain skeptical. i agree. however, these early reports are encouraging. and even if it is updated drivers which cause the increased performance, i am happy to take it!

KVRAF
7653 posts since 2 Dec, 2004 from North Wales

Post Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:43 am

TribeOfHǫfuð wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:21 am
I found these 20 ways to optimize your Windows computer for audio.

https://bandzoogle.com/blog/20-ways-to- ... production

Don't know about the turning off of firewall and protection, tho.

Could be more effective if combined with Black Viber's tweaks, I guess.

Speaking of which, I remember a Swedish (I think) company some decades ago who went as far as removing certain hardware parts of Window laptops to optimize them for audio. I do not recall their name, but do anyone knows who I may be talking about and if they are still in business somehow?
Modern computers with a decent AISO IO device just seem to work in most cases without any tweaking....unless you actually have problems I won't bother, its more of a habit than anything else!

I did have problems once with a new DELL XPS laptop, bad DPC latency, just needed to get rid of a shitty MAX Audio 3D driver and everything DELL had added to 'monitor' the laptop!

I hope Win 11 is good, I have no issues with a new OS, it seems to look pretty cool and if its more efficient I think everyone will be happy!
PC, Studio One, BWS, Live, FL Studio, Renoise, Reason, X32 Desk, Hardware Synths, Drum Machines + Eurorack, TD27 V Drums, Guitars & Basses

KVRAF
28772 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:47 am

GaryG wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:14 am
Dragging this stinking corpse of a thread back on topic...

Windows bloat is a no brainer, Google win 10 debloater script and within minutes you'll have lost all the candy crush etc shite, even the 3d objects shortcuts... Then review your privacy settings and at that point I think win 10 is good to go for most people audio-wise.
I really can't recommend using such apps/scripts. You won't believe how many support requests in Windows forum are due to a messed up system by such uninstallers/system "optimizers"/what not applications.

Some apps are definitive not recommended to uninstall. The games are probably no problem. Other apps, which are connected to some services, or other installed apps, not so.

That's the whole reason why people are complaining about stability of their Windows systems: They mess everything up themselves.
Plugins and a DAW. On an operating system. Which runs on a computer.

KVRian
1290 posts since 16 Apr, 2004

Post Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:53 am

chk071 wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:47 am
That's the whole reason why people are complaining about stability of their Windows systems: They mess everything up themselves.
lol. so often true!

KVRAF
28772 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:56 am

No shit. :) Can't count how many support requests I've seen in Windows forums which turned out to be a case of "User installs shit which messes up system and then blames Windows".

The most update issues are down to those super great security suites as well.
Plugins and a DAW. On an operating system. Which runs on a computer.

KVRian
1290 posts since 16 Apr, 2004

Post Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:58 am

also, i don't like bloat either, but to be fair: most of the bloat mentioned so far has zero affect on your audio needs, unless you need several hundred megabytes of additional disk space. i delete that stuff because i want to, not because i need to in order to get audio work done.

as pointed out by others, all of the various OS's have a certain amount of "extras" that not every user currently needs.

KVRian
1290 posts since 16 Apr, 2004

Post Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:00 am

dupe. sorry.

KVRAF
28772 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:02 am

That's the way I see it too. It would be different if the pre-installed stuff would run in the background, but, it doesn't.

And, yes, Windows has more stuff running in the background than Mac OS, for example. It's a general purpose OS, with focus on ease of use. Which means that it doesn't force the user to go geeky, and activate or deactivate services. It already has a lot of services running for different purposes, which the user might or might not need. You'll have to live with that. Or, you go geeky, and check some websites on which services you can deactivate, and what they do. But, you better know what you're doing then.

Anyway... think I also lost the topic. Ah, right. Windows 11. ;)
Plugins and a DAW. On an operating system. Which runs on a computer.

User avatar
KVRist
474 posts since 4 Feb, 2021

Post Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:10 am

SLiC wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:43 am
Modern computers with a decent AISO IO device just seem to work in most cases without any tweaking....unless you actually have problems I won't bother, its more of a habit than anything else!
I believe you. I left the PC approach in 2016. Already at that point, the need for tweaking Windows had gone steady downwards for a decade. The benefits became smaller and smaller, like below 5% performance increase for tons of tweaks.

The only reason I bought a Mac when I returned last year was because my only Win Laptop is my working PC, and they have filled it with so much security, apps, communication and network stuff that it kills creativity just by sight.
Tribe Of Hǫfuð https://soundcloud.com/user-228690154 "First rule: From one perfect consonance to another perfect consonance one must proceed in contrary or obligue motion." Johann Joseph Fux 1725.

User avatar
GRRRRRRR!
11878 posts since 14 Jun, 2001 from Somewhere else, on principle

Post Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:12 am

All I do to optimise my Windows 10 computer is change to the Dark Theme, install my software and pin things to Start.
NOVAkILL : Dell G7 Core i7, 32GB RAM, Win10, Zoom U24 | Studio One | JP6K, Hexeract, bx_oberhausen, ARP Odyssey, TRK-01, Vacuum Pro, Knifonium, Thorn, Equator, VG Carbon, Invader, Concept | Uno Pro Desktop, Uno, Rocket.

KVRAF
28772 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:15 am

I see zero reason to optimize my system really. With nowadays CPU's, the consumption of anything in the background will be 1% or less.
Plugins and a DAW. On an operating system. Which runs on a computer.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”