Is there something wrong with Cakewalk?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

crickey13 wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:06 pm
telecharge wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:16 am Really? Where can I download Cakewalk without BandLab Assistant?
Within the DAW, there is an update notifier which allows you to download a rar file if I remember correctly. Then you re-install it from that and you're good to go. I don't use the assistant anymore because it doesn't work correctly for me, I have an outdated version, so I update via the DAW.
Right, but you can't get it in the first place without BandLab Assistant, if I'm not mistaken.

telecharge wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:16 pm Right, but you can't get it in the first place without BandLab Assistant, if I'm not mistaken.
Yes, that is correct I believe.

Last version i update has some bug ,after scaning vst folders daw stop working and have to end process from task manager.
Not every time,only with some projects.
It's issue with latest version,there wasn't such before.
Other than that it's amazing daw.
I migrate from cubase and not gonna pay a cent anymore unless some developer offer an alien technology :)
There is dope free vst synths you can use with it.
Fee presets here:
https://audiobombs.com/items/2026/vellt ... arter-pack

i started out with Cakewalk and went to Ableton 11 standard which cost $300 and still doesnt come with any instruments and only the usual selection of everday effects. I still use Cakewalk for some things because outside of looping and sampling Cakewalk is more powerful, stable, more regularly updated and feature rich. It went through a bad patch several years ago when it was with Gibson which is why some people inaccurately still think its unreliable and are not aware of all the new features that have been added.

VELLTONE MUSIC wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:45 pm Last version i update has some bug ,after scaning vst folders daw stop working and have to end process from task manager.
If there is a bug. Report it. Try the new Early Access build and see if the bug is still there or not. If it still is, let them know. Go to the Cakewalk forum and find the best way to report the issue.

I had an issue sometime last year with MIDI Out CC control with VST3. I explained clearly what the issue was, as well as my findings that the latest VST3 developer update fixed this issue and that some DAWs have implemented the update. They looked into it and exceeded my expectations with the fix. They worked closely with me and even sent me a build to test out. When I told them the problem got fixed. They included the fix in the next update. Since then they have improved VT3 support well beyond what I was using it for, for future proofing.

Some people even with paid DAWs don't receive this kind of support. For example people have been complaining for months to Presonus about Studio One having this problem and they have yet to fix it. For me with Cakewalk....it took less than a week! Also I was the only one that ever brought it up in the Cakewalk forum compared to many people complaining to Presonus. Also Cakewalk by Bandlab is FREE!

Good to see. :tu:

crickey13 wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:16 pm
telecharge wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:16 pm Right, but you can't get it in the first place without BandLab Assistant, if I'm not mistaken.
Yes, that is correct I believe.
Yes that's correct.

chk071 wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:13 am
JoseC. wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:07 am It seems that your experience is obsolete. You do not need Bandlab Assistant anymore
Can you install and update it without using the Bandlab Assistant?
You need it for the first install, but from then on all updates are from the DAW itself.

Alright, thanks. :)

The Bandlab Assistant seems to be pretty unintrusive, but, I simply hate having to install 2 softwares when I want to install 1.

I get that the point is to sign up for Bandlab, and use the service, but, would be great to be able to install Cakewalk without it, and just have the services within the DAW, if then.

chk071 wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:21 pm Alright, thanks. :)

The Bandlab Assistant seems to be pretty unintrusive, but, I simply hate having to install 2 softwares when I want to install 1.

I get that the point is to sign up for Bandlab, and use the service, but, would be great to be able to install Cakewalk without it, and just have the services within the DAW, if then.
AFAIK you can uninstall the assistant after installing Cakewalk. Anyway, using some kind of download manager seems to be the norm these days, see NI, iZotope, Arturia, etc.

chk071 wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:21 pm The Bandlab Assistant seems to be pretty unintrusive, but, I simply hate having to install 2 softwares when I want to install 1.
This^^^, and to make matters worse, for years people have been reporting problems with BandLab Assistant which often requires reinstalling it. It certainly appears that BandLab prefers you use their Assistant.

See:
How to: Stay Updated - https://help.cakewalk.com/hc/en-us/arti ... 0033356534
What is BandLab Assistant? Do I have to use it? - https://help.cakewalk.com/hc/en-us/arti ... 0002692134
How do I know if BandLab Assistant and CbB are up to date? - https://help.cakewalk.com/hc/en-us/arti ... 0034958593

When you have a system like this, it should work well with a minimum amount of friction.

JoseC. wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:01 pm
chk071 wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:21 pm Alright, thanks. :)

AFAIK you can uninstall the assistant after installing Cakewalk. Anyway, using some kind of download manager seems to be the norm these days, see NI, iZotope, Arturia, etc.
I get that, but, those are download managers which serve that purpose, and install other software as well, while the Bandlab client is a client for the Bandlab services (which I would never make use of), and doesn't only serve the purpose to install the software.

Anyway, I really don't want to start a discussion about that. It is what it is.

telecharge wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:10 pm
chk071 wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 9:21 pm The Bandlab Assistant seems to be pretty unintrusive, but, I simply hate having to install 2 softwares when I want to install 1.
This^^^, and to make matters worse, for years people have been reporting problems with BandLab Assistant which often requires reinstalling it. It certainly appears that BandLab prefers you use their Assistant.

See:
How to: Stay Updated - https://help.cakewalk.com/hc/en-us/arti ... 0033356534
What is BandLab Assistant? Do I have to use it? - https://help.cakewalk.com/hc/en-us/arti ... 0002692134
How do I know if BandLab Assistant and CbB are up to date? - https://help.cakewalk.com/hc/en-us/arti ... 0034958593

When you have a system like this, it should work well with a minimum amount of friction.
Again, I have been installing every update directly from inside the DAW since this was possible and everything has been smooth and troubleless. When a new update is available, you get a pop up to notify you, you just click install and that's all.

You can do it from the assistant, too, and I can imagine that Bandlab, as a company, would prefer that you use it to have access to their other products, but the devs have clearly stated in the forum that you do not need it anymore to update once you have the DAW installed, not even to keep it authorized (re. the chief developer: https://discuss.cakewalk.com/index.php? ... ent=241141)

JoseC. wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 10:00 am You can do it from the assistant, too, and I can imagine that Bandlab, as a company, would prefer that you use it to have access to their other products, but the devs have clearly stated in the forum that you do not need it anymore to update once you have the DAW installed, not even to keep it authorized
This is really good news! :tu:

VELLTONE MUSIC wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:45 pm Last version i update has some bug ,after scaning vst folders daw stop working and have to end process from task manager.
Other than that it's amazing daw.
I migrate from cubase and not gonna pay a cent anymore unless some developer offer an alien technology :)
There is dope free vst synths you can use with it.
Fee presets here:
https://audiobombs.com/items/2026/vellt ... arter-pack
Just switch to manual scanning (on demand). Automatic scanning on start up is imo never advisable since it unnecessarily slows down the start process and can cause problems (your case as a proof).

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”