Kontakt Sample Slicing Question

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello Kvr,

I’ve asked the same question on the NI forums but it seems quite slow over there so I thought I’d ask the same question here as I know there are some NI boffins around….

Hi all,

when I slice up a drum loop in Kontakt each of the individual hits (zones) seems to be assigned its own individual volume envelope by default.

This can and often does make the drum loop sound weird when the zones are played back in sequence and so I manually go to each zone and delete the volume envelope which is pretty laborious!

Is there a way to either:

A - avoid the envelopes being added to sliced zones by default….. or

B - delete all of the zone envelopes in one go as opposed to going through every zone doing it per slice?

Just to be clear this is the red graphical envelope in the sample edit section not the global amp envelope at the bottom.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

thanks

How about editing them outside of Kontakt?
Personally I use Sound Forge for all my sample editing.

Dirk Diggler wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:46 pm How about editing them outside of Kontakt?
Personally I use Sound Forge for all my sample editing.
Thanks Dirk but I'm cutting up sampled breakbeats so I'd like to keep doing that in Kontakt otherwise the process would take even longer!

Actually it's way faster outside of the Kontakt editor, well at least for me it is.
If you're doing loops, that's also much easier to deal with outside of Kontakt.

Perhaps another forum person will have a better suggestion for doing it within Kontakt.

Good luck,
Dirk

Dirk Diggler wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:38 pm Actually it's way faster outside of the Kontakt editor, well at least for me it is.
If you're doing loops, that's also much easier to deal with outside of Kontakt.

Perhaps another forum person will have a better suggestion for doing it within Kontakt.

Good luck,
Dirk
When you say faster does that include importing and mapping the hits across the key range? Not trying to pick an argument or anything, if there’s a quicker or better way I’d love to know how.

In Kontakt it automatically maps the slices across the key range and spits out a midi clip that you can drag and drop onto your DAW, with the timing and groove of the original break, so it plays back perfectly (aside from the annoying zone envelope thing I was on about!).

How do you deal with slicing up breaks?

The importing and mapping happens in Kontakt, that takes no time anyway. I'm talking about actually editing the audio samples in a real editor. Setting loop points, and envelopes.

I don't use the automatic mapping, I prefer to place samples where I want them on the keyboard if I've gone to all this trouble anyway.

The annoying zone envelope thing is what I'm talking about, I slice everything up in Sound Forge personally. You can specify # of bars, default pitch, key, etc..

I didn't know about Kontakt spitting out a midi clip. I'll have to look into that.

You don't actually play your samples?
I just either play or use the piano roll to trigger the samples.

No worries I'm not arguing, just trying to be helpful.

Return to “Instruments”