Sierra or High Sierra for Old Mac?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have an old mac mini that I'm going to setup to run old stuff that won't run in Catalina/Big Sur. I don't follow the OS X changes closely enough and so I can't remember the subtle differences between Sierra and High Sierra other than I recall that there was some drama about the transition.

Any thought on which one would be the better choice?

High Sierra was the first mac OS release using APFS as the default file system but I don't think that would cause a problem. It was also when they started requiring kernel extensions be granted access to run explicitly by the user if I remember correctly. That might pose a problem depending on what it is you need to run. Otherwise I just remember it being more bug fixes/performance enhancements than anything else. If you really want "old school" mac OS with the old file system,etc. I'd put Sierra on there.

Sierra definitely, think it even runs Logic 9.

jasonekratz wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:01 am High Sierra was the first mac OS release using APFS as the default file system but I don't think that would cause a problem. It was also when they started requiring kernel extensions be granted access to run explicitly by the user if I remember correctly. That might pose a problem depending on what it is you need to run. Otherwise I just remember it being more bug fixes/performance enhancements than anything else. If you really want "old school" mac OS with the old file system,etc. I'd put Sierra on there.
I'm on the fence as to whether I want the "permission for extensions" feature. Maybe I'll do some quick research on APFS.

I'd probably go with El Capitan.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Bombadil wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:25 pm I'd probably go with El Capitan.
What's the reasoning?

It was more stable than either Sierra or High Sierra.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

OS was unstable? or particular version of Logic X at that time?

I just remember all the hassles about these two on LPHelp. I only went from El Capitan to High Sierra when it was the only way I could get some new version of Logic with new features.
Of the two, I'd choose High Sierra, as Sierra had more issues iirc. High Sierra was a refinement. But El Capitan was more stable for me.
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Thanks. I don't think that I can get an installer for El Capitan though, so I might be out of luck there.

Bombadil wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:28 pm I just remember all the hassles about these two on LPHelp. I only went from El Capitan to High Sierra when it was the only way I could get some new version of Logic with new features.
Of the two, I'd choose High Sierra, as Sierra had more issues iirc. High Sierra was a refinement. But El Capitan was more stable for me.
Logic X maybe had issues on Sierra at some point (like on every other version), but Logic 9 works better on Sierra than on Mavericks or anything after it, think Sierra is the last stop for some of older plugins too, I think you have your judgment clouded by Logic X and the fact you never actually used it, probably last version of Logic X for Sierra works great too and as things got ironed out like they always do.

The OP didn't say which v. Of Logic. LPX came out in 2013, but I continued to use LP9 for old stuff for a few years.
Just sharing my experience. :shrug:
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Bombadil wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:20 pm The OP didn't say which v. Of Logic. LPX came out in 2013, but I continued to use LP9 for old stuff for a few years.
Just sharing my experience. :shrug:
Same, it's not about Logic, Sierra was great OS, it's unfair to call it unstable if you never used it and know about it from issues some users had at one point using Logic X, users had issues with every version of OS and Logic X from day one, think last ideal Logic and OS combo was back on 10.6.8 with 9, from there it never was ideal, but it wasn't that horrible either, stuff eventually got fixed by the end of the cycle.

I only remember the problems I read about, which is why I avoided it.
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Bombadil wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:34 pm I only remember the problems I read about, which is why I avoided it.
Understandable, but it wasn't Sierra's fault, it was Logic X, if you were using Logic 9 at that point, you would be amazed actually, it's next best thing after 10.6.8 for it, so yeah, different perspective on things, think Sierra is improved El Capitan, pinnacle of OSX, it runs really great on regular HDD, APFS after it doesn't like those drives, so yeah, it's the last optimized all around system that most machines with either SSD or HDD can run, even if El Capitan is last station for some of the machines, so good choice.

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”