accusonus requires a credit card # before letting you demo their plugs. Thoughts?

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
KVRAF
15515 posts since 16 Sep, 2001 from Las Vegas,USA

Post Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:15 am

And then they have your Credit Card info on file forever? Or at least until their data base is hacked and then everybody has your CC#. Umm yea....no.

My opinion? I've placed accusonus on my ever growing list of companies I refuse to do business with due to polices and practices I find distasteful.

If everybody did the same thing those companies would have to change their polices due to market pressure.

We should all go to accusonus, add a demo to the cart and then back out. Then when they send the "hey what happened" email we could all express our displeasure.

EDIT: I just went to accusonus to try the Era 5 bundle but it didn't ask for a credit card. Only an email address and of course I used a junk mail address. The installer was then available for download so not sure what's going on. :?
Last edited by Teksonik on Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

KVRer
9 posts since 4 May, 2021

Post Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:22 am

agree on tribe with this one..but accusonus seems interesting to check out for post work and such🤓

KVRAF
1998 posts since 15 Apr, 2004 from Capital City, UK

Post Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:03 am

GaryG wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:55 am
I think using the term 'onboarding' repeatedly would send me running.
Having worked in corporate-level, extremely capitalist-focused, industries, this term also makes me feel a little queezy. We can see they're trying to be professional but this is just little too far. People are more sensitive to biz-speak more than companies want to believe. It must be tricky trying to find that middle ground.

KVRAF
33443 posts since 11 Aug, 2008 from another dimension

Post Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:13 am

Common sense is not that common.
Hi-de-Hi!

addled muppet weed
80706 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Post Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:19 am

Teksonik wrote:
Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:15 am
And then they have your Credit Card info on file forever? Or at least until their data base is hacked and then everybody has your CC#. Umm yea....no.

My opinion? I've placed accusonus on my ever growing list of companies I refuse to do business with due to polices and practices I find distasteful.

If everybody did the same thing those companies would have to change their polices due to market pressure.

We should all go to accusonus, add a demo to the cart and then back out. Then when they send the "hey what happened" email we could all express our displeasure.

EDIT: I just went to accusonus to try the Era 5 bundle but it didn't ask for a credit card. Only an email address and of course I used a junk mail address. The installer was then available for download so not sure what's going on. :?
viewtopic.php?p=8139055#p8139055

you need to activate it now or something :shrug:
didn't click through, because i don't care about the product.
im only here because my back hurts too much to be enjoying making noise :x

KVRian
1252 posts since 11 Apr, 2008

Post Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:58 am

lol this is so anti-consumer. They took too much, too much. Whatever it was they took.
It's not like they have monopoly or anything. Their products can be easily replaced by RX or Acustica plugins.
I'm curious how far they will go with this policy.
Beware! The software discussed in this topic has unacceptable aliasing at -386dBTP but it can be fixed by changing the sample rate to 12Bit

KVRAF
2299 posts since 1 Sep, 2016

Post Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:03 am

Amazon Prime got me with that shit. Tried the free trial then forgot to cancel and got charged. Exactly what this company hopes will happen.

KVRian
1252 posts since 11 Apr, 2008

Post Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:42 pm

Vortifex wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:03 am
Amazon Prime got me with that shit. Tried the free trial then forgot to cancel and got charged. Exactly what this company hopes will happen.
Happened to me with PS4 Plus. But they gave me money back when I complained. Lesson learned.
Beware! The software discussed in this topic has unacceptable aliasing at -386dBTP but it can be fixed by changing the sample rate to 12Bit

addled muppet weed
80706 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Post Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:00 pm

Vortifex wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:03 am
prime.
trial, order, cancel straightaway.
next time you go on, they offer you the trial again :lol:

might be a few months between visits for me, so that may make a difference. but ive done it 3 times now :)

KVRAF
15515 posts since 16 Sep, 2001 from Las Vegas,USA

Post Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:09 pm

vurt wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:19 am
you need to activate it now or something :shrug:
didn't click through, because i don't care about the product.
Yes you're right. I went ahead and installed one of their plugins from the bundle just for grins and giggles. When loading the plugin for the first time it asks you to log in which is not that unusual (Cherry Audio etc) but then asks for a credit card to start the trial subscription. (there was also an option to allow data collection but at least it was an option).

I'd never subscribe to software so F'em...a really repugnant company in my eyes. I think they're waaaaay too full of themselves. I hope I get the "why did you back out" email too so I can say F you to their faces :hyper:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

KVRAF
4450 posts since 8 Jul, 2009

Post Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:22 pm

I picked up their rhythm bundle last year or the year before. Regroover, Rythmiq and Beatformer. They are awesome and I use them all the time. I can realistically say that had I had to pay up front for a trial license, I wouldn't have bothered trialing and hence buying. Yes, its a regressive move on their part. But then again, capitalism tends to motivate people into regressive behaviour. It's just surprising to see this happen in the audio software world but then again it was just a matter of time - the entire sector is deteriorating in various capitalistic ways. Too bad for accusonus.

KVRist
101 posts since 31 Jan, 2021

Post Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:09 am

I praise the smaller plugin developers, such as TBproaudio and Tokyo Dawn Labs, who don't require one to jump through a bunch of hoops to either install their free products or demo their paid ones--just click, download. No carts, no email address or account required, no iLok. They get customer satisfaction: reduced clicks = “quick and easy” = repeat customers. Then there are the developers who offer their products completely free upfront, trusting that satisfied customers will support them, such as Audio Obsession and Air Windows--kudos to them.

KVRAF
4450 posts since 8 Jul, 2009

Post Sun Jun 20, 2021 2:42 pm

sambaji wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:09 am
I praise the smaller plugin developers, such as TBproaudio and Tokyo Dawn Labs, who don't require one to jump through a bunch of hoops to either install their free products or demo their paid ones--just click, download. No carts, no email address or account required, no iLok. They get customer satisfaction: reduced clicks = “quick and easy” = repeat customers. Then there are the developers who offer their products completely free upfront, trusting that satisfied customers will support them, such as Audio Obsession and Air Windows--kudos to them.
It's amazing to me how many companies will impose business decisions that negatively impact customers and still rationalize their decisions. The good thing for customers is that there is so much to choose from in the audio software world that generally you don't have to submit to these poor customer experience decisions. Vote with your purchase and only buy from companies you like.

Return to “Effects”