Strategies For Getting 8 Tracks of Output (not including garageband) From Tablet

For iOS (iPhone, iPad & iPod), Android, Windows Phone, etc. App and Hardware talk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I find myself getting more and more decent stuff from my iPad. Also, these days I have so much time with it that music making this way is becoming more and more productive. Moog, Lumbeat, Sugar Bytes and other app makers are bringing it. But I want 8 tracks of digital output -- an interface without buying something too ridiculously expensive (E.g., Lynxstudio stuff.). I don't need preamps and I don't need d to a, just a breakout with 8 channels.

Aside from audio and midi export, does anyone know of a reasonable way to, say, setup AUM with 8 tracks of digital output?

USB-C or lightning iPad? if Lighting ONLY get the original Apple USB3 Camera Adapter.
If USB-C you will most likely end up with an powered USB3-hub if the interface has no own power source.

What kind of digital output do you want? ADAT?
The RME Digiface is not so expensive for what it does. But you need an ADAT receiver at the other end of course. You can take your pick among the USB-Interfaces (with an ADAT-Out port) for you iPad, then. Any USB-Class-Complient interface will do.

If you want to stream digitally between 2 computers the iConnectAudio 4c can do 18 channels of streaming total - unique patented interface-concept! I have the old iConnectAudio2+ and MIDI2+ - works like charm and you can effectively use the iPad like a Plugin on your big desktop DAW. But the Auracle control software is still in development.

Or an AVB interface. Don't now if it works with e.g. the MOTU UltraLite AVB (iPad -> USB / Desktop -> Ethernet-Port) but it works with my Metric Halo 2882 3d.
The Motu is also priced resonable for what it does.

so far :)
Last edited by mindnoise on Mon Jun 21, 2021 1:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thank you for your thoughtful response.

Lightning ipad. I want an aes-ebu to connect to my existing interface. That would be ideal. I wouldn't mind an adat, as long as i can convert it to aes somehow. I'll check out the RME Digiface.

The iConnect would be perfect if itwas around $200. I don't want to spend more than that for my simple digital out needs.

I'll have a look at the other interfaces.

Thanks again for taking the time to write!

uraniumbilly wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:35 pm I want an aes-ebu to connect to my existing interface. That would be ideal. I wouldn't mind an adat, as long as i can convert it to aes somehow.
The AES/EBU protocol is physically limited to 2 channels only. ADAT uses the same TOSLINK optical fibre as S/PDIF & AES/EBU.

What is your current interface? If that only has AES/EBU and not ADAT lightpipe, and you want more than 2 channels, then the existing interface has to go. Cheapest interfaces for the PC with ADAT would cost around $400 (RME DigiFace USB, Focusrite Scarlett 18i8, Presonus Studio 1810c)
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Bert, you must have missed the bit where he makes it clear he's using an iPad.

Uraniumbilly - why do you need 8 channels out? Can't you just render stems and move them from your iPad to whatever you want to continue working on?
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

No, that I did not miss. He wants to have a digital connection from the iPad to a "real" computer using a current interface with AES/EBU and more than 2 channels.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

PS: small clarification the RME Digiface USB (ADAT) needs driver, so no iOS-Hosting.
RME Digiface AVB is iOS compatible. But it's 850 bucks.

sorry I mxed that up.

BertKoor wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:41 am
uraniumbilly wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:35 pm I want an aes-ebu to connect to my existing interface. That would be ideal. I wouldn't mind an adat, as long as i can convert it to aes somehow.
The AES/EBU protocol is physically limited to 2 channels only. ADAT uses the same TOSLINK optical fibre as S/PDIF & AES/EBU.

What is your current interface? If that only has AES/EBU and not ADAT lightpipe, and you want more than 2 channels, then the existing interface has to go. Cheapest interfaces for the PC with ADAT would cost around $400 (RME DigiFace USB, Focusrite Scarlett 18i8, Presonus Studio 1810c)
I have a Lynx Aurora 16. Yeah, I'm finding the same price range. Thanks!

BONES wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:03 am Bert, you must have missed the bit where he makes it clear he's using an iPad.

Uraniumbilly - why do you need 8 channels out? Can't you just render stems and move them from your iPad to whatever you want to continue working on?
I have great outboard gear.

Re: rendering stems... The problem is keeping everything in sync. I would have to do the countoff with a hihat and it's a pain. I suppose I could transfer Lumbeat 8 tracks into the daw and then go out from there.

Thanks, everybody!

Return to “Mobile Apps and Hardware”