iLok License Manager has created several duplicates of my PC!

Plug-in hosts and other software applications discussion
KVRer
8 posts since 5 Jan, 2018

Post Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:18 am

Hi all, I've submitted a support ticket for this but hopefully somebody here can help me solve this more quickly. I've attached images for you too. For some reason the software has decided to split my PC into several different versions of itself, all within a timeframe of about 30mins according to when iLok said these machines were "last seen". It has spread my licenses across them and I can't access the greyed out machines in order to deactivate the licenses they hold. So basically I'm locked out of a lot of software in the middle of my work day. On top of this, the machine that is currently active contains licenses that I've never seen before and the owner for them is apparently unknown. I'm very VERY confused and frustrated right now. Does anybody have any suggestions for ways to fix this issue?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Beware the Quoth
29707 posts since 4 Sep, 2001 from R'lyeh Oceanic Amusement Park and Funfair

Post Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:53 am

You should have had a clue that something weird was happening when you wound up with 4 ProTools First licenses.

Have you tried contacting support? They'd be my starting point, not here.
successfully and consistently snarky

KVRer

Topic Starter

Post Mon Aug 31, 2020 2:58 am

I stated at the start of my post that I'd submitted a support ticket, but I thought I'd ask here too in case somebody had solved a similar issue in the past. As far as I'm aware these unknown licenses appeared alongside the other issues today.

Beware the Quoth
29707 posts since 4 Sep, 2001 from R'lyeh Oceanic Amusement Park and Funfair

Post Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:29 am

They've all got different deposit dates though. Does the config of your hardware change frequently (ie removable drives, wifi stick, or whatever)
successfully and consistently snarky

KVRer

Topic Starter

Post Mon Aug 31, 2020 11:42 am

Hey, not that I'm aware of. The last thing I changed was my motherboard about a year ago. Apart from the occasional USB stick, all my hard drives remain in the same ports. Also I'm hardwired into my router. It's a really funky issue to be having and I can't find anybody online reporting a similar problem. Still waiting on tech support.

KVRer
20 posts since 28 Dec, 2010

Post Thu Sep 03, 2020 3:38 pm

thank goodness I'm not the only one with this issue

KVRian
1416 posts since 21 Sep, 2007 from USA

Post Thu Sep 03, 2020 10:40 pm

The local iLok client database may be corrupted; you could try resetting it.

Run the services.msc applet and Stop the "PACE License Services" service. This is necessary to unlock the service's grip on the database file; you would not be able to do anything to the database file otherwise.

Browse to the "ProgramData/PACE/Eden" folder. Highlight the "com.paceap.eden.clientdb.v1.01.sdb" database file, right-click and move it to the Windows desktop (NOTE: you can later restore this file back from the Windows desktop to the "ProgramData/PACE/Eden" folder if necessary).

From the services.msc applet, Start the "PACE License Services".

The "com.paceap.eden.clientdb.v1.01.sdb" database file will be rebuilt in the "ProgramData/PACE/Eden" folder as soon as the "PACE License Services" restarts.

You can sign back into the iLok License Manager tool to see if your situation has improved. If the problem persists, the issue may be on the iLok cloud server. :shrug:
[Intel Core i7 8700 | 32GB DDR4 | Studio One 5 Pro; FL Studio 20.8; RapidComposer; Sundog Song Studio; Orb Composer/Producer; Pizzicato; Odesi | FL Studio ASIO (WASAPI) | Win10 x64]

KVRian
1302 posts since 7 Dec, 2013 from Earth

Post Fri Sep 04, 2020 2:49 am

I recently bought an iLok USB dongle to avoid this kind of trouble. It's now sitting nicely next to the e-Licenser dongle :hihi:

KVRer

Topic Starter

Post Fri Sep 04, 2020 10:50 am

Hey, thanks Tonedef! iLok got back to me and told me to do the exact same thing. It improved nothing unfortunately. I'm in the middle of requesting a location reset from one of the plugin devs and then I'm going to try those steps again. Really need this to hurry up though as it's impacting a lot of work right now.

KVRer
5 posts since 13 Oct, 2019

Post Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:36 pm

what a nightmare. the same has happened to me completely out of the blue, and the above solution has done nothing. God I hate Ilok. And please no smug messages about dongles.

KVRer
5 posts since 13 Oct, 2019

Post Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:39 pm

And it also shows how completely pointless Ilok is as I have to contact every vender individually anyway to reset the licenses thus negating any convenience that Ilok claims to give. Useless, annoying nonsense always. Kill Ilok.

KVRAF
28812 posts since 11 Apr, 2010 from Germany

Post Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:43 pm

That's not really an iLok exclusive issue though. I had copy protections lose activations every time I deactivated my internet connection...

Still hope you guys get it resolved, of course. Sometimes it's hard to pinpoint such issues. Also for the software developers.
Plugins and a DAW. On an operating system. Which runs on a computer.

KVRian
649 posts since 19 Jan, 2008

Post Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:40 am

I had similar issues with iLok and I'm trying to stay away from stuff protected by it, had too many troubles and a lot of time wasted contacting developers to reset licenses. Not to say remembering to deactivate every license before reinstalling OS. Feels more like a pain for the paying users than a solution. I still have some plugins, but I'm trying not to buy more of them that use iLok and so far I succeeded.

If you ask me, avoid iLok protected stuff. You can find alternatives to those plugins and maybe at a smaller price.
Example: Sound Toys Echo Boy -> Valhalla Delay

I know there are people that love iLok and can seem simple and a good idea, until something happens. I wouldn't recommend iLok to anyone. Just my opinion.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”