Dune 3 vs Sylenth 1 vs Seum for techno/trance

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

THE INTRANCER wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 2:41 am I've over 10 thousand myself for Hive.

How many of those will you ever use?
I find Dune 3 factory patches excellent basis for your own patches. One of the best factory patches I have heard.

Maybe take a look at ANA2 as well. You can't really go wrong with any modern VA/hybrid and eve if you do go wrong, you can always come back to KVR to complain about it :lol:
Always Read the Manual!

If you decide on Sylenth1, Rob Lee's presets for it are great and you can download many of them here if you sign up for the VSTBuzz newsletter.

Serum if i had to choose among those three, Hive if I had an option.

Trancer wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:17 am Need your advice.

For techno / trance. Which vst would be your choice.
Waldorf Largo ist still my favourite. But that's only my personal taste and I'm not a full time Trance producer.

Besides that, I would always combine at least two different type of synths. One digital VA like synth, and one more analog sounding synth. But that's also personal taste....

https://soundcloud.com/aiyn-zahev/largo-drive-presets

If need classic trance/edm/dance sound Sylenth1.
If need more powerful synth Dune.
If wanna be digital era producer using wavetables Serum/Vital.
Try my free presets for Sylenth1 within 'Analog Invader' soundset.
Release it as donationware so people to use it.
Cheers.
https://velltone.wixsite.com/velltone/presets

Get Spire.

Trancer wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:17 am Need your advice.

For techno / trance. Which vst would be your choice.
Waldorf Largo ist still my favourite. But that's only my personal taste and I'm not a full time Trance producer.

Besides that, I would always add at least another synth. For me a more analog sounding (monophonic) synth is the best choice, but that's also personal taste....

https://soundcloud.com/aiyn-zahev/largo-drive-presets

Pretty much any modern synth can be used for trance. They all have Stuporsaws and are awash in fx. I'm sure I could throw in a few more names if you don't have enough yet. :D

Download all the demos and try them out. You haven't specified if you're a preset player, a tweaker or you like to make patches from scratch. Think about what you really want in a synth before seeing if a particular synth ticks all your boxes. After you've got your shortlist, then look at price, support, available patches, etc. to see which synth will rule them all, and in darkness, bind them.
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

syntonica wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:10 pm Pretty much any modern synth can be used for trance. They all have Stuporsaws and are awash in fx.
That's the default KVR "I don't give a damn about the music, but I have an opinion anyway" reply though.

Fact is, they're all different, and some lend themselves more to the sounds than others. Otherwise, Sylenth1 wouldn't be such an evergreen, Spire wouldn't have become so popular, and Massive or Serum wouldn't be heard in every single production these days.

Sorry, really not trying to be offensive, but, that "any synth will do" answer really won't become any more true the more frequently it's being dropped here.

chk071 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:21 pm
syntonica wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:10 pm Pretty much any modern synth can be used for trance. They all have Stuporsaws and are awash in fx.
That's the default KVR "I don't give a damn about the music, but I have an opinion anyway" reply though.

Fact is, they're all different, and some lend themselves more to the sounds than others. Otherwise, Sylenth1 wouldn't be such an evergreen, Spire wouldn't have become so popular, and Massive or Serum wouldn't be heard in every single production these days.

Sorry, really not trying to be offensive, but, that "any synth will do" answer really won't become any more true the more frequently it's being dropped here.
Yet you just named four synths in a single breath. :hihi: Notice I specified "modern" here, so analog-y synths need not apply.

I'm just want to break people out of the notion that if I do X genre, then I can only use Y synth. I'd rather see people get into a synth they really love and will actually use for its own merits, including how trance-y it may sound, rather than jumping on a bandwagon and have buyer's remorse. The pathway to ruin is littered with the old bits and bytes of unloved, unused, unwanted plugins.
I started on Logic 5 with a PowerBook G4 550Mhz. I now have a MacBook Air M1 and it's ~165x faster! So, why is my music not proportionally better? :(

Just use Vital for six months which is as good as the paid synths, then you will have a better idea of which features are more important to you for your style of production from the big names. If you want to buy today I would say Dune.

syntonica wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:33 pm
chk071 wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:21 pm

Yet you just named four synths in a single breath. :hihi: Notice I specified "modern" here, so analog-y synths need not apply.

I'm just want to break people out of the notion that if I do X genre, then I can only use Y synth. I'd rather see people get into a synth they really love and will actually use for its own merits, including how trance-y it may sound, rather than jumping on a bandwagon and have buyer's remorse. The pathway to ruin is littered with the old bits and bytes of unloved, unused, unwanted plugins.
I can assure you that there are synths which sound absolutely spot on for such supersaw/pluck/lead/arp/whatever sounds in Trance and Techno, and which are also commonly and frequently used in those genres.

Just like many Funk bands used the Minimoog for those fat basses and leads.

Does that mean that you can't do such sounds with other synths? No, of course not. Not in the same quality though, and that is the important point.

Maybe we should figure out which sounds are wanted though. Trance and Techno are very different genres, and feature very different sounds.

syntonica wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:33 pm I'm just want to break people out of the notion that if I do X genre, then I can only use Y synth. I'd rather see people get into a synth they really love and will actually use for its own merits, including how trance-y it may sound, rather than jumping on a bandwagon and have buyer's remorse. The pathway to ruin is littered with the old bits and bytes of unloved, unused, unwanted plugins.
Sorry, but this doesn't make much sense, those bandwagon synths are used because they are actually most suited for it, not because there was commandment that everyone should use same synths, one will hardly have buyers remorse if he buys most suited and proven thing for the genre.

Post hoc, ergo propter hoc.

It is of no consequence to me if the OP chooses:
Dune
Sylenth
Serum
Spire
Nexus
Avenger
Rapid
SynthMaster
SynthMaster One
Omnisphere
Hive
Go 2
Icarus
Elektra
Tal-Mod
ACE
etc.

All are quite capable of the sounds the OP may be looking for. I just want them to choose wisely, based on what they like, not what someone else tells them they should like.

Return to “Instruments”