2021: A Year in Gear (What You've Bought or Want to Buy in 2021)

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 8:56 pm
vurt wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:13 pm damn f**king hmrc bastards :x
65 bastard quid :x
Taking back control of your sixty five bastard quid
ftfy :)

ouch thats like $90. I dunno if I could bring myself to pay those kinds of fees. In the US, we only have to pay import duty on items exceeding $900.00 pretty sure. Unless you do that like every week or something.

Anyway, sheesh.

Before Brexit it was pretty much only Europe that let us have free shipping via reciprocal arrangements. Now with that gone pretty much every place in the world we'll have to pay shipping.

I 'have heard' that if you can get a place to put something on the packaging something that marks it as a 'returned repair' item that you may not have to pay fees. But, I would never ask such a thing. Unless it was a... errm... repair...

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

yeah they are ridiculous.

there was a following statement, about how im still the winner here.
but, to avoid risk of it being read by a hmrc staff c**t, i removed it.

but please rest assured, in the long run, ive kicked their arse :lol:

Well, it looks the Mindphaser purchase is real after all, but I did end up with two different tracking numbers from separate carriers.

elxsound wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:40 pm Well, it looks the Mindphaser purchase is real after all, but I did end up with two different tracking numbers from separate carriers.
you ordered from the uk?
will be one from here to eu, then probably ups from there?

vurt wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:42 pm
elxsound wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:40 pm Well, it looks the Mindphaser purchase is real after all, but I did end up with two different tracking numbers from separate carriers.
you ordered from the uk?
will be one from here to eu, then probably ups from there?
Might as well be... California feels like a different country sometimes! Perfect Circuit and I love Cali. I'll leave the foreign country comments for Florida (although the crazy that comes out of there seems not of this world).

Hmm weird, well I guess you cant trust crap you read on interwebz forums.

Or maybe its due to all the mindphasing its putting out. makes you think its unavalable, when it actually is.

elxsound wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:46 pm I'll leave the foreign country comments for Florida (although the crazy that comes out of there seems not of this world).
I'm from Florida originally. Escaped it in the mid-90s and there's very little that I miss.

Thinking about upgrading my audio interface from a Behringer UMC1820 to a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 3rd gen.

I believe the B was a clone of the 1st gen (which was fairly similar to the Saffire Pro 40 anyway). It's a good set of I/O and features for me.

The 3rd gen Scarlett can do up to 192kHz. I'm not going to run above 48kHz anyway because I'd lose half my channels on the Expert Sleepers ES-3/ES-6. But it's also lower latency, newer drivers, better analog parts, USB-C, etc.

A big part of my motivation is, admittedly, distaste for Behringer. But lower latency could be helpful with modular integration, and I'm still getting occasional random glitches when recording that I'd love to go away. That last bit is always a crapshoot though.

in samplitude, i used to get record errors all the time on a scarlett gen 1.
since upgrading to the 18/20 3rd gen, ive hardly noticed any to be honest.

and i used to get dropouts if i was scanning the net while listening to stuff in the daw, none of that now.

I love my 18i20. I upgraded from a 2nd gen 6i6 but I've been very happy with it including the Focusrite Control app.

I was a big MOTU evangelist for 10+ years but I switched to Focusrite last year and I'm really happy with the results. I'm using a Red 8Pre, a Rednet A16R and I plan to add a Rednet 3 soon. Solid drivers and great sound quality, not much to complain about.
I've worked with Lynx interfaces quite a bit too and I like those a lot as well.

vurt wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:57 pm in samplitude, i used to get record errors all the time on a scarlett gen 1.
since upgrading to the 18/20 3rd gen, ive hardly noticed any to be honest.

and i used to get dropouts if i was scanning the net while listening to stuff in the daw, none of that now.
elxsound wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:40 pm I love my 18i20. I upgraded from a 2nd gen 6i6 but I've been very happy with it including the Focusrite Control app.
Thanks, I just stabbed the "buy" button. :D

Also I wouldn't be surprised if it runs cooler than the Behringer does and I won't have to turn on the fans in my rack box.

probably better monthly freebies than behringer too :tu:

Not the biggest fan of Behringer but I recently bought the 1820 because none of the natural 1U USB competitors (Focusrite, Presonus, MOTU) can be relied on to work properly with Linux. Price was a bonus but not the main decider.

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”