Tone Projects KELVIN coming next week

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Kelvin Tone Shaper

It's worth noting that in Kelvin each saturation stage allows for +/- 40 dB gain. So if you push both stages to the extreme you will be driving the input with +80 dB, which is way more than what most other saturators allow and also way more than how you'd want to push any of the models in Kelvin. Moderate settings goes a long way here :) The reason Kelvin allows such broad ranges is to allow flexible gain staging, so that can you could for example go gently into the first stage but still have enough range to really push the second stage (or vice versa).

"Hygge I" is a transformer model which adds mostly 3rd order harmonics in low frequencies. It does start to break up when pushed and I personally prefer not to push it too far (although it can sound pretty cool on some material). You could pair it with one of the tube or diode models and push harder into that (the Unisum compressor uses both Hygge I and II). The Dark Iron transformer also sounds quite nice on drums nice when pushed.
_leras wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:36 am Any suggested sources to try Kelvin on, and any particular settings?
The "All - Everything Bigger" and "Everything Much Bigger" works across a lot of different material.

Cheers,
Rune

_leras wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:36 am I'll have to test on a few more things and at different levels, but my first impression wasn't all that Wow. I swapped it out for black box HG saturator, and felt like it was an instant improvement, or at least a more 'expected' saturation/distortion.
Black Box doesn’t gain match as previously mentioned - so that may have something to do with the “wow” factor. But it does have a distinct flavour to it, to my ears kinda shiny and modern. Kelvin is just a different flavour :) When you try it in the context of a mix the advantages of that particular flavour become more obvious.

Loving Kelvin and it’s certainly going to have its pride of place alongside my other saturation tools!

It's a saturated market :ud:

Ploki wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 7:03 am
_leras wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:36 am I only had a very quick play with this, but when pushing the two gains with Hygge I seemed to get a strange unnatural metallic sound...

I'll have to test on a few more things and at different levels, but my first impression wasn't all that Wow. I swapped it out for black box HG saturator, and felt like it was an instant improvement, or at least a more 'expected' saturation/distortion.

Any suggested sources to try Kelvin on, and any particular settings?
I bought it when i opened the bmanic's "megaphone" preset on vocals. :clown:

There's plenty of presets there, i'll share two i made recently anyway: one for heavy guitar bus and an allround master bus
Thanks for these Ploki and I'll try these out. I'll specifically record a vocal to use the megaphone preset as well!

I get that it should be able to do thing that you'd otherwise need to do in parralel. It was more the pushed sound I just found a bit odd, specifically on the Hyyge setting. With a tool like this I'd want to use it to beef up/warmify as a subtle mix tool - but I'd also want to use it as a creative tool to an extent. The saturation/distortion in HG, to me, breaks up in a really nice way as you push it more. I'm aware the volume increases (and that it can be deceptive), but it's more the tone I'm listening to.

I don't think I tested it on a great source as yet. I'll give it a bit of a run out over the coming days.

Rune L-H wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:02 am It's worth noting that in Kelvin each saturation stage allows for +/- 40 dB gain. So if you push both stages to the extreme you will be driving the input with +80 dB, which is way more than what most other saturators allow and also way more than how you'd want to push any of the models in Kelvin. Moderate settings goes a long way here :) The reason Kelvin allows such broad ranges is to allow flexible gain staging, so that can you could for example go gently into the first stage but still have enough range to really push the second stage (or vice versa).

"Hygge I" is a transformer model which adds mostly 3rd order harmonics in low frequencies. It does start to break up when pushed and I personally prefer not to push it too far (although it can sound pretty cool on some material). You could pair it with one of the tube or diode models and push harder into that (the Unisum compressor uses both Hygge I and II). The Dark Iron transformer also sounds quite nice on drums nice when pushed.
_leras wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:36 am Any suggested sources to try Kelvin on, and any particular settings?
The "All - Everything Bigger" and "Everything Much Bigger" works across a lot of different material.

Cheers,
Rune
Aaargh - my safe space to critique things anonymously on the internet has been disrupted by a fair and helpful direct reply from the developer!! :hihi:

Thanks for replying, and I do think that's very valid to point out how much gain can be applied - and that the metallic sound was only there when pushed a long way, so is more the flavour when it starts to be really distorted. I only had a small amount of time to try it so far, and don't think I tested it on material that would benefit as much from saturation as some other things.

I think the concept and GUI are great and should make a good tool - so hopefully I just need to find my sweet spots with this. I think it'll take a bit of time to figure out due to how the two gains with different tonal qualities can interact. I did flick through the Everything Bigger presets, and I'll try these again perhaps on some more varied tracks and buses in an existing project rather than on just a few test sounds.

had to demo this didn't i ?

was someone saying there's an additional discount for subscribers?
or was it just for owners of the mastering compressor?
I went to add this to my cart, but the $74 suddenly went to $81.40 with autotax...
is there a coupon code that can take the edge off?
thank you

sqigls wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:52 am was someone saying there's an additional discount for subscribers?
or was it just for owners of the mastering compressor?
I went to add this to my cart, but the $74 suddenly went to $81.40 with autotax...
is there a coupon code that can take the edge off?
thank you
You had to already be signed up to the newsletter in advance of the release and the deal was only good for 48 (maybe 72) hours. I owned Unisum but was somehow not signed up and missed this too. That said, I think Kelvin will get more than enough use here to take the edge off.

it's very special.

I was bracing for a hefty CPU hit, but it actually uses less than Harmonics, and sounds better... and much more flexible. Lucky I finally caved in and bought Harmonics last week eh!? furbin ferbin grrrrnbrr
Things we do for a superb sound :P
cheers

sqigls wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:12 am it's very special.
Totally agree! To my ears, Kelvin has a unique and very high class sound that stands out from the crowd.
“Sometimes you have to play a long time to be able to play like yourself.” -Miles Davis

So the more I use Kelvin the more I realise how just much it fits the "Tone Shaper" bill. As an extreme saturator I would maybe reach for something else, but sculpting an individual track or bus into the mix with this is a total joy. The EQs are simple and sound great. It's like, bit of saturation, a wide bell boost, a touch of high shelf etc... boom - mix is coming together fast. It can be crisp and weighty while holding the original signal together well. 2nd and 3rd order harmonic algorithms are great on bass and I like dialling things in and out with the wet/dry.

Fact that I got this for £40 something feels a bit like robbery. Big thanks to the developer!

+ you can totally use it 'just' as a 3 band eq with control over band saturation amount..

Not sure how others really test their tools but ... first Unisum .. and now Kelvin, these are tools within 'mastering' grade performance... they really shine, for a lack of a better word..

If you're maybe not convinced, futz around with the sat algo combinations a bit more.. then compensate with the eq tonal shaping pre/post.. you'll be sure to find a combination that you absolutely love or have a perfect use for!

Plugin of My Year

Rune L-H wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:02 am

Cheers,
Rune
I've had a bit of a chance to use this more and have been able to get more of a feel for it and picked it up today.

It's actually the GE32 mode that sold it for me - this gives a really nice drive for synths. Very analogue sounding to me!

Looking forwards to trying in greater depth. It seems some models are better with more/less drive than others. (for my uses) I think it will be a fab tool once I work out more clearly which modes I want to use for saturation vs distortion and for what sources (* mainly synths and drums for me)

Many thanks to you and the devs involved. You've made a great little tool here.

only a few days left for the intro offer...

Return to “Effects”