Voxengo release Peak Buster

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
KVRAF
4130 posts since 17 Dec, 2009

Post Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:31 am

On the flip side - FX1 is really good at killing dynamics and making a dense sound, kind of like OTT (but musical!)
Image

User avatar
KVRian
1058 posts since 3 Jan, 2019 from Holland

Post Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:59 am

Demoed. Not very impressed. Tried it on various sources and mixes, but it always lost out against my other tools.

I'll pass this one. Looking forward to the next Voxengo plug-in tho.
More BPM please

KVRAF
4130 posts since 17 Dec, 2009

Post Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:04 am

which other tools for example?
Image

User avatar
KVRian
1058 posts since 3 Jan, 2019 from Holland

Post Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:39 am

Ploki wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:04 am
which other tools for example?
UrsaDSP Boost, Newfangled Elevate, Softube Transient Shaper, Boz Transgressor, FirComp, Khs Transient Shaper, etc.
More BPM please

KVRAF
4130 posts since 17 Dec, 2009

Post Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:46 am

Thanks - i only have Softube out of those, and generally cant get from it what i can from this one
Image

User avatar
KVRAF
4453 posts since 8 Jul, 2009

Post Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:55 am

dionenoid wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:39 am
Ploki wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:04 am
which other tools for example?
UrsaDSP Boost, Newfangled Elevate, Softube Transient Shaper, Boz Transgressor, FirComp, Khs Transient Shaper, etc.
I have Punctuate, Transient Shaper, Transgressor, Transient Shaper, PA/SPL Transient, PA/elysia, LVC, DMG, Flux BitterSweet, and others...

To my ears PeakBuster is different. Where all those of those above are similar in that they are generally using a level-independent transient processing, PeakBuster is doing something different. Whatever its doing it lends a clarity and fullness to the accentuated transients vs trying to separate the transient and making louder, which all the other sound like they are doing. PeakBuster *adds* to the transient vs making it louder - it adds this clarity i mentioned, a sheen or polish. That separates it from the others for me.
Last edited by plexuss on Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KVRAF
3904 posts since 26 Nov, 2015 from Way Downunder

Post Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:10 pm

Ploki wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:31 am
On the flip side - FX1 is really good at killing dynamics and making a dense sound, kind of like OTT (but musical!)
Good to know! Seems like Newfangled's Punctuate (which I have) is the closest thing to this?

User avatar
KVRAF
4453 posts since 8 Jul, 2009

Post Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:04 pm

MogwaiBoy wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:10 pm
Ploki wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:31 am
On the flip side - FX1 is really good at killing dynamics and making a dense sound, kind of like OTT (but musical!)
Good to know! Seems like Newfangled's Punctuate (which I have) is the closest thing to this?
I'd say no. Puctuate is more of a typical transient shaper but with many bands. PeakBuster is doing some kind of tranient "polishing". The bands parameter (adjusts the number of bands used in the processing) is more a smoothing control that controls, for lack of a better way to put it, the smoothness of the "polish" from hard to soft - that's the subjective effect of it to my ears. Very unique in a transient plugin frankly. I'd call PeakBuster a "transient polisher" vs the more typical "transient shaper".

The FX1 mode can perhaps reveal some of what PB is doing because FX1 accentuates the processing to the point of being an additive effect. It sound sort of like a Dolby processor being used as an enhancer like the AudioThing Type A emulates but not quite. Maybe dynamic harmonic enhancement algo tuned to sound good?

User avatar
KVRist
219 posts since 30 Jul, 2017

Post Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:14 pm

Am I the only one, who thinks the name of this plugin is opposite to what it was designed to do? "Peakbolster" seems like a more apt name for it.

User avatar
KVRAF
4453 posts since 8 Jul, 2009

Post Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:18 pm

Scarlet Pumpernickel wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:14 pm
Am I the only one, who thinks the name of this plugin is opposite to what it was designed to do? "Peakbolster" seems like a more apt name for it.
Yes I agree. After I posted below I was thinking "The name of this plugin doesn't fit". PeakPolisher?

User avatar
KVRAF
3708 posts since 7 Sep, 2002

Post Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:42 pm

Well, "bust" is "explode", as one of the meaning. Not to sound overly frank, but women also have a "bust".
Image

User avatar
KVRAF
4453 posts since 8 Jul, 2009

Post Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:51 pm

Aleksey Vaneev wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:42 pm
Well, "bust" is "explode", as one of the meaning. Not to sound overly frank, but women also have a "bust".
PeakPasty, TransientBra, Nipplizer, if it was a BOZ plugin it would be called Nice Rack :phones:

User avatar
KVRAF
3708 posts since 7 Sep, 2002

Post Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:21 pm

bust = burst
Image

User avatar
KVRAF
3708 posts since 7 Sep, 2002

Post Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:26 pm

Anyway, the only intent to call it "peakbuster" is to give an idea of peaks "quickly inflating" like in an explosion. And they do literally "quickly inflate". "Exploding sound" is not something that turns into ashes.
Image

KVRAF
4130 posts since 17 Dec, 2009

Post Tue Jun 22, 2021 10:24 pm

I like the name.
But Ghostbusters did kind of sucked ghosts in, not exploded them.
plexuss wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:04 pm
The FX1 mode can perhaps reveal some of what PB is doing because FX1 accentuates the processing to the point of being an additive effect. It sound sort of like a Dolby processor being used as an enhancer like the AudioThing Type A emulates but not quite. Maybe dynamic harmonic enhancement algo tuned to sound good?
FX1 pushed a little can actually compress stuff (it boosts quiet AND loud sounds in a super musical way)
Image

Return to “Effects”