What delay and reverb units should I buy?

Anything about hardware musical instruments.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

All of them.

zerocrossing wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:16 am I just went around the block on this one and… I couldn’t find a solid reason to go with a hardware unit. My UAD plugins sound excellent as do many native plugins. For what all the Valhalla plugins would cost you, you could have quality, flexibility and all the dub you could ever want. Or go with U-He. Colour Copy and Twangström are amazing. Automate them using Live’s modulation system and you’ll have something that no hardware box could touch.
I have a hardware delay and reverb. Primary reason: for when I’m only using hardware (sometimes I get it set up then turn off the screen). Secondary: it’s different sounding than the plugins I have.

wheel333 wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:18 am I like my Earthquaker Afterneath, there is a modular version now. Also Earthquakers Transmisser and Astral Density are worth a listen.
i have transmisser, it is lovely indeed!

Just two monophonic sound sources + reverb. That special sound is not possible without Strymon Nightsky. :party:

https://youtu.be/uUmPiJAJFkE

My favourite reverb is the Boss RV500...just so flexible, sounds excellent, and has a decent editor.
I have a few others I like, Hall of Fame 2 and Polara are good, small form factor too.

For delays I'm mostly in the box with UAD Time Cube, Galaxy, EP34, and SDD3000...I have some pedals but none are really "dubby".

I really struggle with reverbs, I just don’t like what most do to my songs. but I will apply a little for some life. I like the Roland Dep-5 but it’s far from modern. Now delays I have a ton and am less critical. The Timefactor, Obscura, MF-104z, Effectron II are some of my favorites and all very different.

danflemvrs wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 1:58 pm Hey everyone :)

I’m after a delay and reverb unit to add to my setup.

I’ve been producing on Ableton using a Windows laptop. I used delay FX plugins by The Interruptor to get some awesome dubby effects that were incredible! Check them out here: http://www.interruptor.ch/vst_donationware.shtml

I’ve recently bought a MacBook and unfortunately The Interruptor’s plugins are not compatible with MacOS, so I’d love to get some physical delay, echo and reverb units to achieve the same FX.

I have a few analogue synths in my setup and they’re run though a Mackie Onyx Blackbird FireWire interface.

Any suggestions?
If you're looking for hardware, the choice would be easy for me:

Eventide's H9000
https://www.eventideaudio.com/products/ ... izer/h9000
Bitwig Certified Trainer

thevegasnerve5 wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:15 pm I really struggle with reverbs, I just don’t like what most do to my songs. but I will apply a little for some life. I like the Roland Dep-5 but it’s far from modern. Now delays I have a ton and am less critical. The Timefactor, Obscura, MF-104z, Effectron II are some of my favorites and all very different.
I like the Obscura…gets some really dirty delays.

For bread n butter I like TCs novadelay…pretty much covers all the “normal” stuff.

Nightsky all over the video:

https://youtu.be/_1-O25ash0c

I like the reverbs in the empress zoia, the coolest thing about them is that you can set them up with
all the other stuff in the zoia, pitch shifters, inverters, granular, loopers, cab sims etc. You can
create some truly interesting and unique effects that would be impossible in likely any other pedal.
Not to mention they are from empress and very high quality imo. According to them you could replicate any of their stand alone reverbs with the zoia.

These open-ended topics always make me laugh. I mean, it sounds like a valid question until you think a little. What are your goals? What do you have to spend? What inspires your creative energy??

I could go on and list what I have used or what I wanted for something but I honestly don't think it would matter here.

Constructed Identity wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:25 am These open-ended topics always make me laugh. I mean, it sounds like a valid question until you think a little. What are your goals? What do you have to spend? What inspires your creative energy??

I could go on and list what I have used or what I wanted for something but I honestly don't think it would matter here.
That´s why I try to post a video link, rather than writing down a description or my opinions, which is absolutely valid and helpful and also an invaluable source of knowledge (not my opinion, I mean everyone’s else opinions). But I guess people can more easily decide what is right for their needs after two minutes of audio.

https://youtu.be/4MKn5MNN5zc

thevegasnerve5 wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:15 pm I really struggle with reverbs, I just don’t like what most do to my songs.
Chances are good that it's about the settings then, not about the reverbs.

I actually had kind of the same with D16's Toraverb 2. I absolutely hated the thing on the default settings, because, for some reason, they decided that it'd be a good idea to dial in 90% early reflections. When I changed the settings, it really began to shine. Not quite my favorite reverb (I prefer less settings TBH), but, it sounds pretty darn good, especially for most of the sounds I make.

If you run across a used Kurzweil Mangler snatch it up.
It's got reverb and delay, but that's just the tip of the iceberg.
It really can mangle up sounds, but it sounds great while doing it.

Strymon Volante. There’s your delay and reverb. If you want to go crazy, there’s a multieffects box called a Digit by Poly Effects. You can do most anything in it and it will process 4 mono or two stereo signals.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Return to “Hardware (Instruments and Effects)”