What exactly is transferred in a license transfer?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all, brand new here and kinda new to DAWs in general. I saw that some people have licenses they're willing to sell and transfer, but what all gets transferred in a license transfer?

For example, I'm interested in PreSonus Studio One 5. On the PreSonus site it says that Studio One 5 Pro comes with virtual instruments like the Presence XT Core library, and plug-ins and effects like Ampire, Melodyne Essentials, etc. Since all of that is included in a new copy of Studio One 5 Pro, does all of that transfer over when you transfer a license?

Thanks.

What exactly is transferred in a license transfer?

A license.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Aloysius wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:58 pm What exactly is transferred in a license transfer?

A license.
Ba-dum-tss!

But seriously, a license to what, exactly? Just the DAW? The DAW and all the stuff included with a new copy? Only some of the stuff?

Timobkg wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:57 pm Hi all, brand new here and kinda new to DAWs in general. I saw that some people have licenses they're willing to sell and transfer, but what all gets transferred in a license transfer?

For example, I'm interested in PreSonus Studio One 5. On the PreSonus site it says that Studio One 5 Pro comes with virtual instruments like the Presence XT Core library, and plug-ins and effects like Ampire, Melodyne Essentials, etc. Since all of that is included in a new copy of Studio One 5 Pro, does all of that transfer over when you transfer a license?

Thanks.
The entirety of Studio One package be that Artist or Professional is transferred over once approved by Presonus. You are paying for a licence to use it.
Last edited by THE INTRANCER on Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

Timobkg wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:57 pm Hi all, brand new here and kinda new to DAWs in general. I saw that some people have licenses they're willing to sell and transfer, but what all gets transferred in a license transfer?

Thanks.
yes, whatever you get, when you buy a license, is part of that license.
you cant split it up in to its constituent parts.

check small print for "soul transfer" too, thats how they got aloysious.

THE INTRANCER wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:05 pm The entirety of Studio One package be that Artist or Professional is transferred over once approved by Presonus.
So that would include all the plug-ins and extras that originally came with it?

Sorry if it sounds like I'm asking really obvious questions, I'm just trying to make sure I understand exactly what I'm buying before I buy anything. I need to get monitors and I was debating the a new pair of PreSonus Eris 4.5" monitors or a used pair of JBL 305P MkII 5" monitors. Online research leads me to believe the JBL's are better, but the PreSonus ones come with a copy of Studio One Artist (and other software). But if I can get a copy of Studio One cheaply via a license transfer, then it may make more sense to just get the better JBLs.

vurt wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:07 pm
Ah, thank you! That's what I had initially assumed, but then I saw one listing for Studio One Pro that said it didn't include Melodyne Essentials, and suddenly I was very confused.
check small print for "soul transfer" too, thats how they got aloysious.
I assume it was part of a B1G1 deal? :wink:

And here I was putting a serious answer together. :roll:

Aloysius wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:13 pm And here I was putting a serious answer together. :roll:
:hug:

give me your soooooul! :evil:

Aloysius wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:13 pm And here I was putting a serious answer together. :roll:
Sorry! :hug:
I would love to hear your serious answer.

I was going to say ......................

ditto :tu:

:lol:

I retract my apology.

Get JBL's and cheap second hand license

Timobkg wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:12 pm
vurt wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:07 pm
Ah, thank you! That's what I had initially assumed, but then I saw one listing for Studio One Pro that said it didn't include Melodyne Essentials, and suddenly I was very confused.
Yes, that's the one thing you have to watch out for when buying S1 second-hand. When you buy S1 "new" you get a serial for Melodyne Essentials that you need to separately register with Celemony. Most people when they sell S1, don't bother transfering Melodyne license along with it. Not a problem if you have your own already or don't plan to use audio pitch editing, but if you do - make sure it also is getting transferred to you.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”