Looking for a free waveshaper VST or Turbosynth

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I was advised that NIN used a waveshaper via an old computer synth (turbosybth) to extra distort most of his guitars.

Any advice on a free VST and how he would use it would be great.

I have one of the old zoom 9002 preamp he used to use as well as the cab sim IR he used on a different Zoom module.

I try and recreate seminal tones on old albums like this
https://youtu.be/O2bZGQ7Xhqs

Melda MWaveShaper is free.

thefyn wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:15 pm I was advised that NIN used a waveshaper via an old computer synth (turbosybth) to extra distort most of his guitars.
Unimaginable. Turbosynth was non real time and couldn’t load more than some blibs of audio if at all… Turbosynth could create samples which could be loaded into a sampler. Maybe they created distorted sounds and then played along to the guitar to fatten it up?

Yep he chopped up the guitars then processed them with turbo synth.

Tj Shredder wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 9:51 am
thefyn wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 11:15 pm I was advised that NIN used a waveshaper via an old computer synth (turbosybth) to extra distort most of his guitars.
Unimaginable. Turbosynth was non real time and couldn’t load more than some blibs of audio if at all… Turbosynth could create samples which could be loaded into a sampler. Maybe they created distorted sounds and then played along to the guitar to fatten it up?
You could use Turbosynth in real time with Digidesign DSP cards like Sound Tools (precursor to Pro Tools) and Audiomedia. Tis real time was just to preview the final sound. To use it, you needed to convert it to a sample and load it in a sampler, like the Sample Cell (also from Digidesign. I had a system, back in the days, with a Audiomedia II and a Sample Cell II, installed in a Power Macintosh 7100. These two were complemented with a third card that featured a ROMpler synth equipped with a Kurzweil chip. Wonderful system. I still own this computer with all the cards, but I don't boot it up since many years (maybe almost two decades). I don't know if it still boots.
Fernando (FMR)

Trash 2 by iZotope is a good one for NINish sounds. So is Kombinant by Audio Damage.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”