Assigning alternative knob as aftertouch input

Plug-in hosts and other software applications discussion
KVRist
47 posts since 23 Mar, 2014

Post Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:27 am

Hi KVR friends,

I have two Arturias controllers (keylab 88 - Minilab mkll) which doesn`t have aftertouch keyboard function and would like to know if we can assign any rotary controller knobs to function as aftertouch or breath control input?

I have many presets that comes with aftertouch modulation but I can`t use it!

Any help?

Thank you very much

Beware the Quoth
29658 posts since 4 Sep, 2001 from R'lyeh Oceanic Amusement Park and Funfair

Post Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:32 am

Well, this is the hosts forum, so what host are you using?
In fact, what platform (OS or Windows) are you using?
successfully and consistently snarky

KVRAF
11059 posts since 26 Jun, 2006 from San Francisco Bay Area

Post Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:35 am

Change the mod source to whatever you want.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

KVRAF
32542 posts since 14 Sep, 2002 from In teh net

Post Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:39 am

Carlo Celuque wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:27 am
Hi KVR friends,

I have two Arturias controllers (keylab 88 - Minilab mkll) which doesn`t have aftertouch keyboard function and would like to know if we can assign any rotary controller knobs to function as aftertouch or breath control input?

Any help?

Thank you very much
I find an expression pedal does a better job than a knob as it doesn't require you to take your fingers off the keys (which is why I like aftertouch more than most other live forms of modulation as expression is at your fingertips)

KVRist

Topic Starter

Post Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:42 am

zerocrossing wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:35 am
Change the mod source to whatever you want.
Can you help on how to do this?
I have changed to Modwheel but sincce it`s mostly used to vibrato I will loose it or have Vibrato and Aftertouch together!

KVRist

Topic Starter

Post Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:43 am

whyterabbyt wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:32 am
Sorry, I am using Cakewalk by Bandlab on Win 10

KVRist

Topic Starter

Post Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:44 am

aMUSEd wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:39 am
Carlo Celuque wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:27 am
Hi KVR friends,

Any help?

Thank you very much
I find an expression pedal does a better job than a knob as it doesn't require you to take your fingers off the keys (which is why I like aftertouch more than most other live forms of modulation as expression is at your fingertips)
Yeah! But my controllers doesn`t have any input for expression pedal!

Beware the Quoth
29658 posts since 4 Sep, 2001 from R'lyeh Oceanic Amusement Park and Funfair

Post Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:57 am

Carlo Celuque wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:43 am
whyterabbyt wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:32 am
Sorry, I am using Cakewalk by Bandlab on Win 10
Since you're still not giving much detail (eg the plugins you're using) so this may not work, but you can try using the Insert Piz Here midi plugins (see viewtopic.php?f=148&t=300566 for what they are, and the last post in that thread for how to get them now)
midiconvertor3 is probably the one you want.

See the info on using these for Sonar, what's what Cakewalk used to be called.
successfully and consistently snarky

KVRist

Topic Starter

Post Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:18 pm

Well, I have lots of Vsti synths which comes with presets with aftertouch modulations assigned for filters, oscillators pitch, envelopes and Lfos. For instance I am using an Arturia Keylab 88 Essential to play the presets but can't hear what the aftertouch modulation is doing cause I don't have that function on my keyboard. I have just received an answer from Arturia support saying that unfortunately the knobs can't be used to assign aftertouch because it's a different kind of continuous MIDI control! Thank you very much for your messages. I will see what to do since aftertouch is a very needed function nowadays. All the best

KVRist

Topic Starter

Post Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:21 pm

In this specific case I am trying out Dune 3 World of Cinematic II presets plenty of Aftertouch modulations.

KVRAF

Post Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:32 pm

Carlo Celuque wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:18 pm
Well, I have lots of Vsti synths which comes with presets with aftertouch modulations assigned for filters, oscillators pitch, envelopes and Lfos. For instance I am using an Arturia Keylab 88 Essential to play the presets but can't hear what the aftertouch modulation is doing cause I don't have that function on my keyboard. I have just received an answer from Arturia support saying that unfortunately the knobs can't be used to assign aftertouch because it's a different kind of continuous MIDI control! Thank you very much for your messages. I will see what to do since aftertouch is a very needed function nowadays. All the best
If you own the specific plugins, like JUP-8, you can just change the assignments to whatever you want. Sounds to me like you may want to start shopping for a better controller, though. Aftertouch is really a great way of adding to a performance.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

KVRist

Topic Starter

Post Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:19 pm

Yeah! I have two old hardware synths which has aftertouch but I need to fix them to use as a MIDI cobtroller. Thx

KVRAF

Post Tue Jun 22, 2021 9:07 pm

Carlo Celuque wrote:
Tue Jun 22, 2021 3:19 pm
Yeah! I have two old hardware synths which has aftertouch but I need to fix them to use as a MIDI cobtroller. Thx
I use an old General Music S2 ROMpler as a MIDI controller. It beats the hell out of any modern MIDI controllers. Not only does it do aftertouch, but it does polyphonic aftertouch, which the Arturia stuff does respond to.
Zerocrossing Media

KVRist

Topic Starter

Post Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:07 am

Yes! I think I will try to fix and use my old SQ 80 Ensoniq Synth.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”