Reason+ and its personality?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

"Wanna add some personality to the music you make in Ableton Live, Apple Logic, FL Studio or Avid ProTools? Just use Reason+ with the Rack as a plugin."

I read this on the Reason Studios homepage. But what do they mean? I am talking about the personality part. Is it just a buzzword?

Discuss.

More like marmite....

For an ex Reason user, having Reason's Rack in say Studio One, is just weird. You get reminded of just how slow it is to do things and how small things are, too. That latter point may be null, but it still exists. It's like Close Encounters With The Third Kind, Just Not A Really Pleasant Kind.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

Who f**king cares? It's just marketing bullshit.

The Reason instruments, fx and players are great…you could get close however with individual VST stuff, but not easily and there would probably be less interaction between devices.

The Rack is a pseudo hardware ecosystem that uses CV patch cables at the rear, it opens up a range of new stuff (Re) from often from smaller developers, so it’s personality may be a bit ‘boutique’, quirky…interesting! I think the pictures on the home page are trying to reflect that (no idea why they have a picture of a dog, maybe because Muff Wiggler had a cat!)

The Rack goes hi definition and can be resized in V12 which is due in September.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

BrokenTrance wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:04 amBut what do they mean? I am talking about the personality part. Is it just a buzzword?
Of course not, it's all real! For example Ableton is dry & cold (due to its Excel-like GUI), so using the skeuomoprphic Rack in it brings some analog warmth & soul into your music. If you're using ProTools, chances are your music is very sophisticated and professional, therefore bringing in some Rack will add a rebelious, freestyle, hip-hop character to it, make it more digestible by the "street". Basically, R+ employs high-end AI to add what your DAW - and by extension, your music - is missing.

I mean try it. The difference is night & day! :phones:
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

We are so rebellious we don't even use the archetypal cat to represent cool studio shit- WOOF!

X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

As a dedicated Reason user let me explain. With Reason +, you can "find your own unique sound." That is something entirely new in the DAW world due to the development of SPT ( Subscription Plus Technology). Before Reason+, you could only find other's unique sound, imitate, but with Reason +, you can have your own. It will not even be among the standard loops. Subscripe and hear for yourself. It has nothing to do with marketing whatsoever.
Tribe Of Hǫfuð https://soundcloud.com/user-228690154 "First rule: From one perfect consonance to another perfect consonance one must proceed in contrary or oblique motion." Johann Joseph Fux 1725.

Exactly.

It was never said out loud, but the infamous "Reason sound" that was so controversial and argued upon, with some people insisting that it's clearly there and others swearing that there's no such thing; was everyone's personal sound all along! But it was such an alien concept at the time, that many couldn't recognize it and thought it's "Reason sound" instead of their own.
Music tech enthusiast

TribeOfHǫfuð wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:40 am As a dedicated Reason user let me explain. With Reason +, you can "find your own unique sound." That is something entirely new in the DAW world due to the development of SPT ( Subscription Plus Technology). Before Reason+, you could only find other's unique sound, imitate, but with Reason +, you can have your own. It will not even be among the standard loops. Subscripe and hear for yourself. It has nothing to do with marketing whatsoever.
I havent got reason+ and just have the perpetual licence for reason 11. Can I ask what subscription plus technology is as I thought with reason+ you just get all rs devices and access to sound packs exclusive to + that includes combinators etc. I appreciate this brings more presets than standard reason but never heard of spt before so intrigued what this is.

Samiver wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:48 am Can I ask what subscription plus technology is as I thought with reason+ you just get all rs devices and access to sound packs exclusive to + that includes combinators etc. I appreciate this brings more presets than standard reason but never heard of spt before so intrigued what this is.
That IS the technology. They figured that to find your own sound, you had to have ALL the devices of Reason AND the soundpacks. Thus, not even Suite owners have had that privilege, so whatever crap they have made was not really their own.
Last edited by TribeOfHǫfuð on Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tribe Of Hǫfuð https://soundcloud.com/user-228690154 "First rule: From one perfect consonance to another perfect consonance one must proceed in contrary or oblique motion." Johann Joseph Fux 1725.

antic604 wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:03 am Exactly.

It was never said out loud, but the infamous "Reason sound" that was so controversial and argued upon, with some people insisting that it's clearly there and others swearing that there's no such thing; was everyone's personal sound all along! But it was such an alien concept at the time, that many couldn't recognize it and thought it's "Reason sound" instead of their own.
Well... I always thought their synth devices share some common sound. I wouldn't really say that they have lots of character though. Rather the opposite.

They don't sound the same, but, just like with many soft synth developers, they definitely have sonic similarities. Naturally.

Samiver wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:48 amI havent got reason+ and just have the perpetual licence for reason 11. Can I ask what subscription plus technology is as I thought with reason+ you just get all rs devices and access to sound packs exclusive to + that includes combinators etc. I appreciate this brings more presets than standard reason but never heard of spt before so intrigued what this is.
Have you heard of Elon Musk's Neuralink? So this is basically the same tech, but Reason Studios were smarter and instead plugging wires into the brain - to extract your personal sound and shape the presets accordingly - they do it via the wallet, which turns out to be as effective, but is much safer!

I heard rumours this might actually land Reason Studios with a Nobel Prize in biology, unless it's the Wuhan Institute of Virology that gets it instead.
Music tech enthusiast

chk071 wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:23 amThey don't sound the same, but, just like with many soft synth developers, they definitely have sonic similarities. Naturally.
No way! :o :-o
Music tech enthusiast

+1
Liar, obviously.

TribeOfHǫfuð wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:33 am Liar, obviously.
I don't take issue with you when you have a different opinion, but, calling me a liar is totally uncalled for, and, especially, totally dumb.

Why would I lie here? What's the point?

Fact is that many of the Reason device's DSP was made by the same people. Subtractor, Thor, Europa, all by the same guy. If you take a look at many soft synth developers, like Tone2, Synapse Audio, u-he, their creations often share a similar character. Same is the case here.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”