real-time polyphonic pitch correctors, anything in the way ?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm asking this question for the following peculiar reason :

while I'm working periodically in Burkina Faso with a collegue that showed me a musician that choose the use of conventional pitch transposer for his instrument (a plucked string instrument called "N'Goni" mainly use in traditional music to create the background for singers and storytellers) and transposed it on stage for real-time performance

Way more interesting and useful would be a polyphonic corrector in real-time (like Pitchmap from Zynaptiq) that would allow the performer to alter from inside the entire scale of his instrument in real-time (if technically concievable) without excessive artifacts

for instance it is possible with pitchmap to choose precisely the bandwith in where the polyphonic transposition/alteration is applied, this without affecting the formant frequencies, body and hi-end too

but indeed it is almost impossible tho get a decent real-time performance without strong latency issues with the this peculiar effect currently ...but i'm asking this to the insider what would it be in a near future ?

:idea:

If Melodyne can do it non realtime, its just a matter of time until you can do it in realtime… But as this has to be done in the frequency domain, the physical limitations inherent to all pitch analysis algorithms apply: you get a decent latency…
As its a string instrument you could try to pick up each string individually and do it with existent technology…

Tj Shredder wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:49 pm As its a string instrument you could try to pick up each string individually and do it with existent technology…
sensible

...i assume with piezo-electric microphones under each strings for instance ?

something extrapolate from the electro-acoustic guitars like Ovation or Takamine ?

Krakatau wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:45 pm
Tj Shredder wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:49 pm As its a string instrument you could try to pick up each string individually and do it with existent technology…
sensible

...i assume with piezo-electric microphones under each strings for instance ?
For example.
The guitar world has all sorts of bridges with piezos, but mostly just one (you probably get a lot of crosstalk if you use more). You could try to attach piezo pickups for record players to each string (in place of the needle). Some decades ago I once used such a construction for a single string instrument and it worked pretty well…

Return to “Effects”