All things pedal related.

August 2019 is the first KVR Guitar Month so here's a new forum for discussion of all things guitar!
addled muppet weed
80695 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Post Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:43 pm

justin3am wrote: ↑
Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:41 pm
It might get loud enough to drown out the sound of traffic... and stun small animals. :hihi:
and blow out my windows :hyper:
:lol:

KVRAF
7446 posts since 1 Aug, 2003

Post Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:33 am

vurt wrote: ↑
Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:40 pm
not a pedal, but...
do i need a 100 watt marshall head? :lol:
A nice thing to have, if you have a cab, and can afford new windows / hate your neighbours.
Otherwise? I don't see any value in it (please correct me if I'm wrong, kvr).
(Would 100W be too much for kinky usage?)

KVRAF

Post Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:47 am

Attention, Ritchie Blackmore fans: a limited release:
https://youtu.be/IjtmfIOR6ck

KVRAF

Topic Starter

4001 posts since 16 Aug, 2017 from Land of The Charity Shop

Post Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:09 am

cptgone wrote: ↑
Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:47 am
Attention, Ritchie Blackmore fans: a limited release:
https://youtu.be/IjtmfIOR6ck
1.26 nice finger action, that G&L guitar sounds nice.
Currently trying to turn noise into music. :neutral: Is boutique the new old?

KVRAF

Post Sat Jun 26, 2021 1:49 pm

Buyer beware: tc electronic Wiretap (a recording pedal, to quickly save musical ideas) seems to require the app of the same name to manage recordings, and it is a dysfunctional royal pain.

- to transfer recordings, the pedal must be paired over Bluetooth to a phone (mine is an up-to-date Motorola Android).
Pairing fails all the time, usually requires me to [repetitiously] restart my phone, and when it does work, the connection is lost when trying to transfer/delete seemingly corrupt recordings.
- many recordings seem to be corrupt, as transferring always gets stuck at the same % of completion. And you won't know, untill you notice (no notification).
Trying to delete 'm doesn't succeed either.
- the recordings can be long (8 hours recording time in total IIRC) so you can imagine transfer is sloooow.
- trimming a recording works, but the trimmed version can only be saved to a new file - which fails.
- uploading to GDrive fails (luckily I can circumvent this, using Android's Files feature).

I tried to update the pedal's firmware (it got a minor update 5 years ago) but I don't have a USB cable that fits.

Unless I find a solution, I have no use for such a thing - but I cannot even wipe it for resale.

KVRer
5 posts since 24 Jun, 2021

Post Mon Jun 28, 2021 11:46 am

I've used modelers for most of my pedal effects now. I still have several overdrives because they sound so unique are "my sound," but I could live with just my FM3.

KVRAF

Post Wed Jul 07, 2021 3:21 am

I got lucky and bought a used Fairfield Circuitry Shallow Water. It's a crazy-if-you-like chorus/vibrato/... effect.
1.png

Funny how I seem to be going through a chorus/vibrato phase, despite my disappointment when I started buying pedals and got a Behringer chorus I didn't like, and a tc Afterglow that got kicked from my pedalboards too. I guess those pedals lacked in the crazy dept, as far as I'm concerned.

I gave the Shallow Water a test spin with guitar yesterday, and found it very versatile and extremely inspiring. So I'm guessing it won't move to the synth pedal boards (I prolly should get a second one for that ;) ). It's smaller than I imagined, hardly any lost space if I position it vertically.

So now I'm wondering if the Shallow Water has enough in common with the zvex Lo-fi Junky I've been on the lookout for, to skip buying that one.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

KVRAF
2475 posts since 12 Mar, 2002 from Central NY

Post Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:37 am

I got lucky and bought a used Fairfield Circuitry Shallow Water. It's a crazy-if-you-like chorus/vibrato/... effect.
Huh! Funny you should mention that one. I JUST entered a contest to win one.
After that endorsement I really hope I win. I have a thing for pedals that go beyond
ordinary vanilla effects! :D :D :D
the secrets to old age: Faster horses, Richer Women, Bigger CPU's

https://soundcloud.com/cristofe-chabot/sets/main

KVRAF
11459 posts since 7 May, 2006 from Southern California

Post Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:42 am

Love my Shallow Water. Sounds lush on pretty much anything.
If you are interested in other things which have a similar vibe to the Shallow Water, check out Hungry Robot's Wardenclyffe. I'm not sure about the deluxe version but the original I tried sounded really good.

KVRAF

Post Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:13 am

CapnLockheed wrote: ↑
Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:37 am
Huh! Funny you should mention that one. I JUST entered a contest to win one.
I'll be keeping my fingers crossed then.
justin3am wrote: ↑
Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:42 am
If you are interested in other things which have a similar vibe to the Shallow Water, check out Hungry Robot's Wardenclyffe.
Amazing how many pedal manufacturers are out there, I had never heard of Hungry Robot. I have to cut back on spending but will be keeping an eye out for any used units :hyper:

KVRAF
4000 posts since 29 Sep, 2010 from Maui

Post Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:09 am

I always thought the Hungry Robot Synth pedals looked like fun, but it's a lot to collect. I've bought 2 pedals so far and it was about $1k. I was able to resist the CBA Blooper and/or RP Tensor over the 4th of july holiday. Luckily the Chase Bliss stuff is hard to get new and the Red Panda is price locked so there was no pressure to buy. :lol:

KVRAF
6976 posts since 18 Aug, 2007 from NYC

Post Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:01 am

I had the Tensor for a bit but I sold it for Blooper. Tensor is definitely more predictable especially when used with their TouchOSC template, but I didn't feel like it did enough to justify keeping it. I think Particle and Tensor would be a good pairing but honestly, there's so much great stuff out there it's hard to choose (and of course better if you don't have to make a choice).

I also had no idea about Hungry Robot... (damn rabbit holes everywhere).

KVRAF
11459 posts since 7 May, 2006 from Southern California

Post Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:58 am

I have a bunch of the Hungry Robot synth modules. I use them with my Arp2600 and for modulating pedals. I really like those. I had The Borderlands for a while and I thought it sounded great but I had a lot of it's territory covered with other pedals. I tried Wardenclyffe and definitely liked the sound. I also like that you can switch between cyclic LFO (for a typical chorus/vibrato sound) and a more random modulation source, like on the Shallow Water.

KVRAF
2655 posts since 28 Oct, 2007 from michigan

Post Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:03 am

My entire rig running loudly today fwiw - looks like :
the micro amps at the end are Mooer Chieftain-clone013 or Tone King-clone007 w or w/o the internal cab-sim enabled. I could use one of my sets of VST efx cabinet IR sims if wanted... but really don't need to do so
peace
expert only on what it feels like to be me
& you are who you google
https://soundcloud.com/mrnatural-1/tracks

KVRAF
6844 posts since 30 Apr, 2019

Post Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:14 pm

The problem about living in the golden age of guitar effects is that it's simply exhausting keeping track of all the fuzz pedals in various flavors, and whether that overdrive we've been losing sleep over for the past year is going to mess with the perfectly average tone we already have.

It's enough to give you a migraine. But pranksters and disruptors of gear superpowers Chibson USA might have cure. It's called the Placebo pedal, and it does nothing. Yes, absolutely nothing. Oh, it lights up, which is a bonus.

Yes, the company that brought us the groundbreaking Hand Pick and the Wild Whammies has returned with a pedal that does nothing. And if you adhere to the logic that Seinfeld was the greatest TV show ever and that it was indeed a show about nothing, then the Placebo could be in with a shout of being the greatest pedal ever.

That seems like a stretch, but if we were to consider the Placebo by the do-no-harm principle – as in not making our sound suck more than it already does – then it might be quite true to say that there are definitely worse pedals out there.
https://www.guitarworld.com/amp/news/ch ... cebo-pedal

Return to β€œGuitars”