United Audio Artists - Killadrum for the Reaktor Player - First Look

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Here is something new I've been working on, It's called Killadrum.

Edit:Video was taken down

It's an 8 channel drum sequencer with 10 different randomized drum fill generator modes that work in real time and also provide midi output.

The above video is just a little sneak peak at what this can do, it give a brief 5 min overview of the instrument followed by 15 minutes of beat examples showcasing the drum fill generators in action with a variety of styles and tempos.

Ther are 3 sequencer layers for gate, pitch and pan.

Each sequencer lane can work in traditional mode or in probability mode.

Each sequencer lane can be set to various start and end times, these start and end times can be modulated to create evolving poly-rhythms.

There is a grid based swing control for creating custom swing grooves.

The 10 Drum fill generator modes are as follows...

(FP 1 = Fill parameter 1, FP 2 = Fill parameter 2)

Fill mode 1:Random

This mode takes the current sequencer step value and multiplies in by the current tempo and then multiplies that by the FP 1 (Amp) value and then multiplies that by FP 2 (X) value and then wraps that number through a modulo to create number within the sequencer step range and then it plays that step.

FP 1 (Amp) is a random variable max level.

FP 2 (X) is a multiplier amount applied to the random Amp amount.

Example: Step 7 x Tempo (1.5) = [10.5] x 4 (FP 1 Amp) = [42] x 8 (FP 2 X) = [336] /32 = [10.5] rounds up and plays step 11 instead of 7.

This mode creates the most random unpredictable jumps and patterns.

Fill mode 2: Chaos Range

In this fill mode FP 1 is Range and FP 2 is Offset.

The value of FP 1 sets a limit to how far forward or backward the random steps can jump. The value of FP 2 offsets the center point where the randomization is calculated from.

Example 1: A value of 4 means that the random steps can jump anywhere between 4 steps forward or 4 steps backward from the currently playing sequencer step, creating an 8 step range where randomization will take place.

Example 2: The fill system turns on at step 25. FP 1 (Range) is set to 4, FP 2 (Offset) is set to -8.
Our randomization will now play anywhere between steps 11 and 21.
The center point where randomization is calculated from progresses forward with each sequencer step.

If we have a range of 4 and an offset of -4 and we activate the fill engine at step 25 then the +/- 4 will be calculated around step 21, then step 22, and then step 23 and so on as the sequencer progresses forward.

Fill Mode 3: Step Skipper

In this mode FP 1 is Skip and FP 2 is Drift.

With FP 1 (Skip) set to 3 we will play every third step skipping the steps in between.

With drift set to 1 our skipping can randomly fluctuate between skipping 2 steps, 3 steps or 4 steps.

Drift randomly adds to or subtracts from our skipping amount creating unpredictable skipping patterns.

Fill Mode 4: Step Repeat

In this mode FP 1 is Play and FP 2 is Reps.

Set FP 1 (Play) to 17 and FP 2 (Reps) to 4.

When this fill mode is activated the sequencer will jump to step 17, it will play that step 4 times and then move forward one step to step 18, and play 4 times, then step 19 and play 4 times and so on.

Fill Mode 5: Micro Loop

In this mode FP 1 is Play and FP 2 is Steps.

Set FP 1 (Play) to 17 and FP 2 (Steps) to 4.

When this fill mode is activated the sequencer will jump to step 17, it will play the next 4 steps in a row and loop back to step 17 and repeat again until the fill system is turned off.

Fill Mode 6: Alternator

It will switch back and forth between played random steps and "hold" paused steps (silence).

In this mode FP 1 is Play and FP 2 is Hold.

FP 1 (Play) and FP 2 (Hold) each represent a possibility of played random steps or paused steps.

You may get a fill with no pauses or a fill with large pauses. The parameter values merely represent chances and not set values.

Fill Mode 7: Juggle

It will switch back and forth between played random steps and "hold" paused steps (silence).

FP 1 is Steps and FP 2 is Drift.

Steps is how many steps to play before it switches between playing and pausing.

Drift is a random variable to be added to or subtracted from the steps value creating more un-predictable changes.

Fill Mode 8: Window

In this mode FP 1 is Start and FP 2 is End.

FP 1 (Start) Sets a specific step that the randomizer range will start from.

FP 2 (End) Sets a specific step where the randomization window will end.

Example: A Start value of 4 and an End value of 12 means that the random steps can jump anywhere in between steps 4 and 12, you are creating a set window of range for randomization to take place.

Fill Mode 9: Flip Flop

FP 1 is Steps and FP 2 is Drift.

FP 1 (Steps) counts the number of steps between playing and pausing.

FP 2 (Drift) adds or subtracts from the FP 1 (Steps) value at random creating more variation in the timing of the changes.

With FP 1 (Steps) Positive values will always play first and pause second. Negative values will always pause first and play second.

Fill Mode 10: Value Steps

In this mode both FP 1 and FP 2 serve the same purpose and are both labeled Value.

The idea here is that value represents a sequencer step count, or distance from step 1. A value of 4 means that the randomizer can only land on steps that are a multiple of 4.

A value of 6 means that the randomizer can only land on steps that are a multiple of 6.

FP 1's value is played first and FP 2's value is played second.

Example: The first value (FP 1) is 4 and the second value (FP 2) is 6.

The fill generator will randomly play from steps 1/5/9/13/17/21/25/29 first and then will play from steps 1/7/13/19/25/31 second.

Fill modes 1,2,3,4,5,8 and 10 will always play on every step. Fill modes 6, 7 and 9 can and will create pauses where no step is played at all.

Modes 6 and 7 are random as to whether they will play or pause at any given time.

Mode 9 is hardcoded to always flip back and forth between played steps and paused moments with FP 1 controlling the order, + values will play first and pause second, - values will pause first and play second.

There 11 types of drum synth and 2 types of samplers.

Kick Type 1
Snare Type 1
Hi Hat
Analog (Bass Synth)
FM (FM Synth)
Kick Type 2
Snare Type 2
Perc
Pipe - (Physical Modelling)
Bell - (Physical Modelling)

There are 2 types of samplers built in.

Samp = Traditional 1 shot drum sampler.
Osc = Single cycle waveform synth sampler.

There are 4 FX sends with 5 FX each, a stereo sync delay, a tape delay with flutter and spread, a reverb, an overdrive and a glitcher modeled from the Ableton live beat repeater.

There are 4 LFO's, 4 AD Envelopes and 8 modulation sequencers, with some special new features designed for drum use.

More videos and demo's to come soon.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Michael O'Hagan

United Audio Artists
Last edited by mike_o on Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Here is a video about the modulation envelopes

Last edited by mike_o on Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:40 am, edited 4 times in total.

Here is a video on the LFO's.

Last edited by mike_o on Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:41 am, edited 4 times in total.

Here is a video about the modulation sequencers.

Last edited by mike_o on Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:41 am, edited 3 times in total.

Sounds pretty interesting!
Is there a midi note playability mode, i.e. starting/stopping pattern/sq via note on/off?
Or, will it just be tied to DAW transport?

nordickvr wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:32 am Sounds pretty interesting!
Is there a midi note playability mode, i.e. starting/stopping pattern/sq via note on/off?
It doesn't do that as of now, but I could probably add that in there, let me see what it would take to achieve that.

I want to thank you Mike_o

This is really nice. I am still learning it but so far it is quite inspiring. The gui is also easy on the eyes for a Reaktor ensemble.

Question. How can I implement a custom color scheme as a default?
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://sites.google.com/view/scrubbing-monkeys

nordickvr wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:32 am Sounds pretty interesting!
Story of my life with Reaktor.

Scrubbing Monkeys wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:33 pm I want to thank you Mike_o

This is really nice. I am still learning it but so far it is quite inspiring. The gui is also easy on the eyes for a Reaktor ensemble.

Under the master tab you can select your sequencer colors and a few others, but the main color scheme of the knobs and graphics can't be changed.

mike_o wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:06 pm

Under the master tab you can select your sequencer colors and a few others, but the main color scheme of the knobs and graphics can't be changed.
True.....can I make my changes persistent so that everytime I open an instance of Killadrum it displays the colors I selected?

The Youtube videos don't work anymore

Scrubbing Monkeys wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:36 pm

True.....can I make my changes persistent so that everytime I open an instance of Killadrum it displays the colors I selected?
Yeah, just set your colors and then save the master ensemble.

dfraze wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:02 pm The Youtube videos don't work anymore
I took them down because I was going to re-film them and make them better, but I haven't had the time for it.

mike_o wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:40 am
Scrubbing Monkeys wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 3:36 pm

Yeah, just set your colors and then save the master ensemble.

Oh great.

Thank you.

Return to “Instruments”