Will this PCIe to PCI adapter work for my E-Mu 1616m MicroDock 1212 card?

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I have a 1616m MicroDock with a PCI 1212 card (as opposed to PCIe). I would like to put it back into service, but have upgraded to a computer that has no PCI slots .

Will a PCIe to PCI adapter work for the 1212 card, assuming the combination fits in my case (it probably will)? I've listed two below. One is an "off brand" but is giddily inexpensive. There may be others.

I'm running Windows 10 Ultimate. My current interface is a MOTU UltraLite AVB, which will remain my main interface. The reason for wanting to include the MicroDock is for its ADAT optical out and its DSP effects, although having its analog I/O would be also be handy.

https://www.startech.com/Cards-Adapters ... d~PEX1PCI1
PCI Express to PCI Adapter Card
Install half-height/low profile PCI interface cards in a standard PCI Express expansion slot
Product ID: PEX1PCI1

https://www.amazon.com/PCI-Express-32Bi ... B0024CV3SA
Micro SATA Cables PCI-E Express 1 X to PCI 32Bit Adapter Card
Model Nbr: PCI-E1X-32BIT

NOTE: The StarTech street prices are somewhat lower than the manufacturer's MSRP shown. So either would be an acceptable solution.

Not worth it.

Putting in a PCIe adapter is not as easy as you might imagine. How do they fit in your current case? Most likely they don't. You have to put the full-height PCI card in the adapter so it's total height will be much higher that the standard.

You will most likely face driver, compatibility and latency issued as well. Getting an EMU interface to work under Wind 10 these days is tricky even by itself.
Last edited by robotmonkey on Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
No signature here!

robotmonkey wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:08 am Not worth it.
So not worth it. It's just time to move on. Unless you prefer plenty headaches over a few saved bucks of course. :D

My computer is a 10-bay tower and plenty wide, so the adapter with card will probably fit. If I'm lucky, the removable panel above the card bay will match up with the Ethernet (1616) connector. Why, oh why, couldn't E-Mu have put that on the bottom? :-) On reviews of the StarTech adapter, at least one or two E-Mu users rave that it works great, after case modification. The reviews are fairly current, but I don't recall if they're Win 10.

Thank you for your warning. Considering my former mobo's sudden (and apparently unique in the world) incompatibility with the MOTU interface, I'm wary. In addition to getting the MicroDock working okay, it has to play really nice with the MOTU or out it comes again. The MOTU UltraLite AVB will be my main interface, regardless.

Might be some time till I get to this. Will let you know.

olfogey wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 4:15 am I have a 1616m MicroDock with a PCI 1212 card (as opposed to PCIe). I would like to put it back into service, but have upgraded to a computer that has no PCI slots .

Will a PCIe to PCI adapter work for the 1212 card, assuming the combination fits in my case (it probably will)? I've listed two below. One is an "off brand" but is giddily inexpensive. There may be others.

Yes it will work, tested on windows 7 x64 but others report full success for win10.
But considering there is an intermediate step of pci data translation there, you might have to tweak a bit further:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=371831
viewtopic.php?t=529349

adout the pcmcia to pci express adaprer:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=371831&p=7489834#p7489834
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=371831&p=7485817#p7485817

be careful to install the asio64 dll correctly for native x64 applications

the startech cardbus adapter has the Texas Instruments XIO2000 chip, after those tweaks above, 1616m works flawlessly @ win7 x64. Latency tested as low as 5ms for not so heavy cpu usage.

There has to be a bit of added latency for the pci translation layer, but as far as I can see is not high. But I am not sure about other IC chips like the one mentioned above for PCI to PCI express. Probably they will work.

To sum up, yes it can deferentially work but could behave differently depending on the system being installed and those "driver tweaks".
:phones:

They will probably work with any converters using Pericom P17C9X (is used for PCIe E-MU cards) or Asmedia ASM1083 (many motherboards used it for pci slot before) Startech card now available probably uses P17C9X according to pictures on their web page.

You can find cheaper on aliexpress (They are now mostly using Asmedia. They sold as same Pericom cards as startech before) Some old converters had throughput problems. But new revisions of Asmedia chips are working fine. (multi channels, low latency, heavy cpu load etc, standby/sleep ..)

On installation, you should avoid sharing an IRQ. E-MU card should use one IRQ exclusively. It depends on pcie slots.

yuk wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 10:58 am They will probably work with any converters using Pericom P17C9X (is used for PCIe E-MU cards) or Asmedia ASM1083 (many motherboards used it for pci slot before) Startech card now available probably uses P17C9X according to pictures on their web page.

You can find cheaper on aliexpress (They are now mostly using Asmedia. They sold as same Pericom cards as startech before) Some old converters had throughput problems. But new revisions of Asmedia chips are working fine. (multi channels, low latency, heavy cpu load etc, standby/sleep ..)

On installation, you should avoid sharing an IRQ. E-MU card should use one IRQ exclusively. It depends on pcie slots.
Thank you yuk !
I will try it as soon as possible with my Gigabyte B450 AORUS M motherboard.
I have Pericom chip on that adapter. (Adapter works fine with my old motherboard Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3P).Windows 7 x64 ,Windows 8.1 Pro x64.

Last edited by temporalsounds on Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

I recently replaced motherboard from MSI B450 to ASUS B550 and found that pericom chip is not recognized on my new ASUS motherboard. I recommend you to try a bridge board using Asmedia ASM1083. E-MU 1820m bridged by ASM1083 is ok in my new setup.

yuk wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:57 pm I recently replaced motherboard from MSI B450 to ASUS B550 and found that pericom chip is not recognized on my new ASUS motherboard. I recommend you to try a bridge board using Asmedia ASM1083. E-MU 1820m bridged by ASM1083 is ok in my new setup.
Thank you YUK !
I got the repaired motherboard Gigabyte B450 back from seller yesterday ,trying Pericom adapter ,but same results like you. It won't recognize the adapter, trying some settings in BIOS, but nothing helps. (In device manager all chipset drivers installed).
I have to look up on AliExp. adapter , with Asmedia chip.
Thanks for recommendation indeed !
regards

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”