Windows 11 coming very soon

Configure and optimize you computer for Audio.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

BONES wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:01 am
How can you managed to crash an OS in 2020? Sorry, seems unreal really...
Easy enough when it's a Mac. We still get crashes at work but 99% of the time it's about the network, not any individual workstation.
I got Windows explorer crashing and restarting on me, still I don't think I made Windows crash, like getting BSOD or Kernel Panic or stuff like that, I never got Finder doing that on me, but still it's probably something to do with some app, more than OS itself. I needed to change internet browser on Windows, because it was starting to consume a lot of memory (and give me memory errors) and to freeze my whole system on regular basis, still I don't think it's OS fault.

New Microsoft official Windows 11 Video (cut to 10 minutes)

snap groups and windows layouts look useful. Docking a laptop to a big monitor finally fixed!

Very Apple Like! https://youtu.be/TumQRiN75bk
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Like watching Apple event. :clown:

Yes, it was horrible. But, hey, that's now such events are. Marketing, emo, emo, marketing, and emo marketing.

There'll be sites stating the facts in black and white.

It's really looking good. Nothing revolutionary, but, I didn't expect that anyway. More of what Windows 10 started.

Yeh, I watched a few of the 'leak' reviews and they all pretty much say the same thing...its Like using a MAC OS- cleaner, less cluttered etc
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Uh oh... there's a storm brewing up over the requirement to have a Trusted Platform Module 2.0 in your computer to be able to run Windows 11.

If you're interested, you can check your computer's compatibility with Windows 11 with the tool provided here: https://www.microsoft.com/de-de/windows/windows-11

None of my 3 computers is able to run Windows 11, according to the tool, and, one of the laptops is from 2018, and even has a Trusted Platform Module 2.0... and, I read in a Windows forum that some of the newer Surface devices, like the Surface Book 2 from 2018 aren't capable either. Quite a mess Microsoft has caused there.

I don't think this is the final word on it though. I have a feeling that a lot more devices will be able to run Windows 11 once it is being released (can't imagine they exclude so many devices after working hard to get market share with Windows 10), but, this causes a lot of confusion, and frustration.

Microsoft is offering a free upgrade to Windows 11.

What's the catch? I hear you ask...

Well - you probably need to buy a brand-new Intel-based computer so that Windows 11 recognises the Trusted Platform Module that is listed in system requirements:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... quirements

Obviously this has nothing to do with the fact that Apple moved away from Intel, and Microsoft and Intel possibly simply struck a deal to offer a new version of Windows for free but you need to buy more Intel hardware to run it.....

I can't seem to buy a TPM module for my motherboard even if I want to right now. Despite TPM 2.0, I'm not really that worried. I'm sure Windows 10 will continue to work well into the future and for many years as we've seen them support past Windows versions for a long time. None of the features look to be that worth any kind of hassle of an upgrade for.

Windows 10 is still supported IMO until 2025.
The question is whether the CPU already supports TPM or you have to buy an extra TPM module. In the first case, you only have to enable TPM in UEFI/Bios.
(this TPM modules are not expensive and most also a bit older motherboards should have a TPM connector)

BerryLaCroix wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:31 pm Microsoft is offering a free upgrade to Windows 11.

What's the catch? I hear you ask...

Well - you probably need to buy a brand-new Intel-based computer so that Windows 11 recognises the Trusted Platform Module that is listed in system requirements:
That's not true. They released a list of supported CPU's (note that that is only the officially supported and tested list, not the list of CPU's which will run, but haven't been tested by Microsoft yet).

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... processors

Anyway, it's all pretty vague by now. I'll wait until there's some more tangible info.

This looks absolutely awful. There is not a single feature in that entire video that seems like an improvement for me. It is definitely very Mac like, in that Microsoft seem to have decided how I should work, taking away the flexibility to work the way I want to. Big mistake!

I don't want or need to run Android apps on my laptop or Surface and I have no need of snapping windows or any of the rest of it. The new Start looks like an absolute disaster, too. How the hell am I going to get 70+ icons onto it and still be able to find anything? From what I have seen, I could not work with this OS at all. Hopefully someone will make a utility to restore the Win 10 Start, otherwise I'll be sticking with Win10 for the foreseeable future.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

4damind wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:06 pm Windows 10 is still supported IMO until 2025.
The question is whether the CPU already supports TPM or you have to buy an extra TPM module. In the first case, you only have to enable TPM in UEFI/Bios.
(this TPM modules are not expensive and most also a bit older motherboards should have a TPM connector)
issue is two fold

1) a lot of boards only recognise their OWN tpm module - you can't just grab a generic module and expect it to work
2) plenty of machines with tpm headers only support 1.2 modules, not 2.0 (due to the bios never having been updated for 2.0)

Looking at the videos, I like the eye candy in Windows 11. Not that Windows 10 looks bad, but I was tired of seeing the same boring yellow icons and wanted better dark mode and themes overall. I do care about the looks. I will upgrade to Windows 11 probably as soon as my PC receives it. I am assuming my PC will be compatible, as it is 2017 make and my motherboard has the TPM module (not sure if it is 2.0, but it is likely).

What yellow icons?
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

chk071 wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:04 pm Uh oh... there's a storm brewing up over the requirement to have a Trusted Platform Module 2.0 in your computer to be able to run Windows 11.
TPM 2.0 has been a requirement for WIN 10 laptops since 2016...
https://www.computerworld.com/article/3 ... urity.html
chk071 wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:04 pm If you're interested, you can check your computer's compatibility with Windows 11 with the tool provided here: https://www.microsoft.com/de-de/windows/windows-11

None of my 3 computers is able to run Windows 11, according to the tool, and, one of the laptops is from 2018, and even has a Trusted Platform Module 2.0... and, I read in a Windows forum that some of the newer Surface devices, like the Surface Book 2 from 2018 aren't capable either. Quite a mess Microsoft has caused there.

I don't think this is the final word on it though. I have a feeling that a lot more devices will be able to run Windows 11 once it is being released (can't imagine they exclude so many devices after working hard to get market share with Windows 10), but, this causes a lot of confusion, and frustration.
Something is wrong with the app...
{"panic_string":"BAD MAGIC! :shrug: (flag set in iBoot panic header), no macOS panic log available"} "Apple did not respond to a request for comment."

Return to “Computer Setup and System Configuration”