CHOW Tape Model by Jatin Chowdhury

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

My perspective: Oversampling factor should be preset agnostic, not hardwired to a preset. Instead allow users to set a default oversampling factor! Ideally one for realtime usage and one for offline rendering. Tokyo Dawn and Klanghelm (among others) do it this way and it's the most convenient approach, since you can keep the default OS factor for realtime usage at none or 2x (keep CPU strain low) while ensuring that when bounced you will automatically get the best quality (eg 8x or 16x).

+1 What Kazi7 wrote

Thanks for the feedback all! Just wanted to mention that future releases will have separate options for oversampling amount for real-time playback vs. offline renderring. For more information see this issue. And if you can't wait to try it out, this feature is already implemented in the nightly builds!

chowdsp wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:01 pm Thanks for the feedback all! Just wanted to mention that future releases will have separate options for oversampling amount for real-time playback vs. offline renderring. For more information see this issue. And if you can't wait to try it out, this feature is already implemented in the nightly builds!

Sweet... will check nightly as soon as I can...just have to fix a freinds computer who got bricked by latest win10 updates... :ud:

Thanks again folks! After re-reading the responses, and pondering a bit more, I think the right answer is "no", the oversampling factor should be preset agnostic. I suppose there could be an option in one of the menus to allow the preset to affect the oversampling, but I worry this will add more confusion than benefit down the road.

Thanks,
Jatin

Hi, Jatin
Thank you for the update!
Imho, preset agnostic oversampling is the way to go ;)

chowdsp wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:03 pm Thanks again folks! After re-reading the responses, and pondering a bit more, I think the right answer is "no", the oversampling factor should be preset agnostic. I suppose there could be an option in one of the menus to allow the preset to affect the oversampling, but I worry this will add more confusion than benefit down the road.

Thanks,
Jatin
Could you please have a look at the windows runtime that is used , the latest version still doesn't show up n my host
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Question: Why is the DC-Offset filter's slope steeper than 12 dB per octave?

heavymetalmixer wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:16 pm Question: Why is the DC-Offset filter's slope steeper than 12 dB per octave?
Good question! The hysteresis processor generates some low frequency noise, not just at DC, but in-between 0 and 30 Hz. With a 12 dB/Oct highpass filter, I felt there was still a bit to much low frequency rumble, espeically around 20 Hz, which was creating issues with some of the other processors "downstream" in the signal chain. So I ended up making the DC-blocker a 4th order filter, with a 24 dB/Oct slope, and cutoff frequency at 35 Hz.

On top of that, the wow/flutter processor requires it's own DC blocker since it's further down the signal chain, but that one has a cutoff frequency of 15 Hz, so it's probably not what you're seeing in your analyzer.

Speaking of which, I'm curious what sort of analyzer you're using? I usually use the Bertom EQ Curve Analyzer.

chowdsp wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:50 am
heavymetalmixer wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:16 pm Question: Why is the DC-Offset filter's slope steeper than 12 dB per octave?
Good question! The hysteresis processor generates some low frequency noise, not just at DC, but in-between 0 and 30 Hz. With a 12 dB/Oct highpass filter, I felt there was still a bit to much low frequency rumble, espeically around 20 Hz, which was creating issues with some of the other processors "downstream" in the signal chain. So I ended up making the DC-blocker a 4th order filter, with a 24 dB/Oct slope, and cutoff frequency at 35 Hz.

On top of that, the wow/flutter processor requires it's own DC blocker since it's further down the signal chain, but that one has a cutoff frequency of 15 Hz, so it's probably not what you're seeing in your analyzer.

Speaking of which, I'm curious what sort of analyzer you're using? I usually use the Bertom EQ Curve Analyzer.
DDMF Plugindoctor.
The difference in slope is actually audible, have you tried setting a 12 dB one on a higher frequency?

heavymetalmixer wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:28 pm The difference in slope is actually audible, have you tried setting a 12 dB one on a higher frequency?
Oh interesting... audible in what way? I remember when I was designing the highpass filter, putting the cutoff at 40 or 45 Hz (with either filter slope) bothered me, since I could hear the -3 dB cut at that frequency in sub-bass or kick drum sounds. The 24 dB/Oct filter at 35 Hz seemed like the right tradeoff to me, since it did a better job of eliminating the rumble at 20 Hz and below, along with keeping a "flatter" pass-band above 35 Hz.

Here's a little plot comparing the filters. The red line is what's currently implemented in the plugin (note that 40 Hz is only cut by 1dB, but 20 Hz is down to almost -20 dB). The other lines are 12 dB/Oct filters at various cutoff frequencies.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Do you know the chowdsp website is unreachable, git is still fine.
Duh

bungle wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:30 pm Do you know the chowdsp website is unreachable, git is still fine.
Yeah, I've been having trouble with my web server lately. It should be back up now.

I'm in the process of migrating to a more stable platform, hopefully that should be wrapped up in the next week or so.

chowdsp wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 4:07 pm
heavymetalmixer wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 1:28 pm The difference in slope is actually audible, have you tried setting a 12 dB one on a higher frequency?
Oh interesting... audible in what way? I remember when I was designing the highpass filter, putting the cutoff at 40 or 45 Hz (with either filter slope) bothered me, since I could hear the -3 dB cut at that frequency in sub-bass or kick drum sounds. The 24 dB/Oct filter at 35 Hz seemed like the right tradeoff to me, since it did a better job of eliminating the rumble at 20 Hz and below, along with keeping a "flatter" pass-band above 35 Hz.

Here's a little plot comparing the filters. The red line is what's currently implemented in the plugin (note that 40 Hz is only cut by 1dB, but 20 Hz is down to almost -20 dB). The other lines are 12 dB/Oct filters at various cutoff frequencies.
This filter has the same sound most 24 dB filters do: It's not so about how much low-end it cuts as it does the job properly, but the track feels narrow and boomy somehow.
Try this: Get TDR NOVA and try using a HPF on a track. Listen for the differences between 12 dB and 24 dB. IMO 12 dB sounds more open and transparent.

Just checking - current nightly is v2.8.2. There was no v2.8.1 release... correct.?
Win10; i7 4790K; 16Gb RAM; GTX750Ti; Cubase Pro v13.0.30; WaveLab Pro v11.2.0; S1 v6.5.2; UR44 audio/MIDI

Return to “Effects”