Dune 3 vs Sylenth 1 vs Seum for techno/trance

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

--

Novation V-Station is great for Trance though, well any genre really. Great synth. Cheap aswell.
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

By the way, in the thread title the "r" in Serum is missing. You can still fix it... 8)

Halonmusic wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:57 pm Novation V-Station is great for Trance though, well any genre really. Great synth. Cheap aswell.
It's very nice for oldschool sounds. :)

chk071 wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:06 pm
Halonmusic wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:57 pm Novation V-Station is great for Trance though, well any genre really. Great synth. Cheap aswell.
It's very nice for oldschool sounds. :)
indeed it is :)
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Spring Goose wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:35 pm
jasonekratz wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:44 pm
Spring Goose wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:02 pm
nIGhT-SoN wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:48 pm You should check some of Steve's interviews, especially from Ableton's event. You'll understand better what made Serum popular and why it's still talked about.
As i've said i like Serum and i have Serum, and Steve seems a nice guy. I thought it's popular because of dubstep and other "bass music". I don't really want to watch Ableton videos cos i don't use Ableton.
You don't want to watch an interview because it was done at an Ableton event and you don't use Ableton?
Yes, why do i need to watch the video? I just watched 5 Steve Duda Nerve videos last week.
I didn't say you had to watch the video. The other poster just recommended watching a particular discussion with Duda about the staying power of Serum that happened to be at an Ableton event and your response was you dont want to watch Ableton videos because you don't use Ableton. The fact that it's an Ableton-provided video really has nothing to do with it.

jasonekratz wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:21 pm
Spring Goose wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:35 pm
jasonekratz wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:44 pm
Spring Goose wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:02 pm
nIGhT-SoN wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:48 pm You should check some of Steve's interviews, especially from Ableton's event. You'll understand better what made Serum popular and why it's still talked about.
As i've said i like Serum and i have Serum, and Steve seems a nice guy. I thought it's popular because of dubstep and other "bass music". I don't really want to watch Ableton videos cos i don't use Ableton.
You don't want to watch an interview because it was done at an Ableton event and you don't use Ableton?
Yes, why do i need to watch the video? I just watched 5 Steve Duda Nerve videos last week.
I didn't say you had to watch the video. The other poster just recommended watching a particular discussion with Duda about the staying power of Serum that happened to be at an Ableton event and your response was you dont want to watch Ableton videos because you don't use Ableton. The fact that it's an Ableton-provided video really has nothing to do with it.
I've got nothing against Serum! I like it. I'm paying for it understanding it's NFR. I just watched a video yesterday, an hour long video of somebody using Ableton. I'm at my limit, i can't take any more of it! I heard that the video has got something to do with Ableton and i didn't fancy watching it, no biggie.

MegaPixel wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:26 pm RE: Spire's GUI
Ye it does suck, now if it was something like Ana2, Hive 2, Zebra, Dune 3 or even Serum, hell yeah. But we don't live in a perfect world.
I have been using Spire from v 0.9, it was one of my first synths. It had much less features and the GUI had more consistent logic. When they added more and more stuff it all kinda made sense to me as it was an addition to what I had already learned. But I think for someone who is new to Spire it all may seem total mess, why two FM modes, why is the filter list so disorganized, why do lfos and envelopes have their own assignment slots and how does that correlate to the mod matrix (ok, it was like that from the very beginning, I think it was copied from Virus, but in Virus it does make some sense because Virus is a hardware)...

Probably this would be one of the main tasks for Spire 2, should this ever happen - to make all the controls and all the GUI elements somewhat more consistent.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

Thanks again for all your answers and opinions.

The rental system could be an alternative.

By cons Unless I am mistaken, you must be connected to the internet and go through Splice to be able to use Serum for example.

Maximum if understood correctly three days without connection, a little tight the delay.

So not very interesting, too bad. An activation once per me like for example with Nexus 3, much better and more practical.

Regarding Serum, a version 2 would certainly be an excellent thing, Vital takes up a lot of space and ground apparently. I'm not denigrating Serum at all, on the contrary. I'm just saying Vital is a hell of a competitor. In addition, if you want the full version of Vital, it is less than 90 euros.

I would like to hear from you and leaving aside the emotional attached to Serum and others.

Just an objective opinion, what remains in Serum compared to Vital?

Not at all a question of provocation, just a question that I ask myself.

Better to buy Vital or Serum?

Phase plant looks really great as well and seems to have a hell of a lot of versatility.

Regarding Sylenth 1 and Dune 3. Perhaps the rental via the official site for Sylenth 1 is interesting, connection per month, at least once, more interesting as a system.

For Dune 3, I feel myself, not sure if I will take it yet. Maybe I'll wait for a promo.

Regarding U-he products, I don't really like Hive.

I much prefer Repro see Diva or both. What repels me and holds me back for quite some time, excessive consumption of cpu. Quite a bit of opinion and often put in the negative points. This does not prevent U-he from melting exceptional products.

Trancer wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:37 pm I'm just saying Vital is a hell of a competitor. In addition, if you want the full version of Vital, it is less than 90 euros.

I would like to hear from you and leaving aside the emotional attached to Serum and others.
You have 3 main contenders in the top spot for sound design and quality (in my opinion).

1. PhasePlant
2. Serum
3. Vital

1. Vital.
Definitely get Vital for free, I have the free version and go on the forum find the monthly threads where they share sounds and you will have more sounds than what you get if you buy it. No brainer.. Get it, play with it... It's a beast and a very VERY nice interface and it is well optimised so you can push it.... But it can eat any CPU depending on what you do with it. Out of the 3 this is the one that will eat your CPU the most (in my oppinion). I will buy it eventually for the extras and I want to try out that voice synthesis feature.

2. Serum
Ye you know enough already. But for me it's no PhasePlant, personally I get annoyed with Serum quite often, I've spent the last day deleting presets... 50% through, then I got to build a program to auto delete presets because the program doesn't allow you to do the admin of presets easily etc. I found the dat file which is a sqllite database file which stores all your data, which I can then rip the data out and write a program to move all the presets I have starred to a keep folder, delete all the rest and move them back...

3. PhasePlant
Now this is where the ease of sound design challenge comes in, for me its PhasePlant, Vital then Serum... Its got a great interface, looks good and you can make any sound with it.

But there is 1 very big thing your overlooking with PhasePlant.
You get a lot of plugins to use in any DAW or in PhasePlant itself and they can be stacked and stacked endlessly till your computer runs out of cpu or ram. Creativity doesnt just stop with the instrument it extends even to your DAW, in your case Ableton, for me BitWig & FLStudio. You don't get this with any of the others.

RE: Sound quality
Sound quality on all 3 is as good as it gets.
Last edited by MegaPixel on Fri Jun 25, 2021 12:11 am, edited 5 times in total.
Web Developer by day, DAW tinkerer by night...

Trancer wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:37 pm Regarding Sylenth 1
I would just grab it and get 20,000 presets from ebay for £15 or something.

Trancer wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:37 pm For Dune 3, I feel myself, not sure if I will take it yet. Maybe I'll wait for a promo.
That's what I'm going to do, get the main instrument and 2 or 3 preset banks when they got a GOOD sale on...

Trancer wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:37 pm Regarding U-he products, I don't really like Hive.
I got it, I find it a bit complicated but I do like it, but it aint for everyone but you can make some great sounds with it and it has some quality sound packs. EG in your genre

https://ancoresounds.com/hive2-trance-family

But don't buy it if it's not up your street.

Trancer wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:37 pm What repels me and holds me back for quite some time, excessive consumption of cpu. Quite a bit of opinion and often put in the negative points. This does not prevent U-he from melting exceptional products.
u-he products are all pretty easy on the CPU & RAM, nothing to worry about there.

Remember
You got mixdown feature / bounce, in virtually all DAWS (I think), so if you are getting to the limits of your CPU & RAM you can bounce that layer / track to a sample and free up all the CPU and RAM that instrument was using.

Trancer wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:37 pm Just an objective opinion, what remains in Serum compared to Vital?
Both are sound designers but in graphically different ways... Same tools, more in 1 of one thing that the other and visa versa. You would need to watch a video on someone using serum and then someone using vital... It will make it clear for you.

I pref' Vitals GUI, Serum's is good too but crammed but as I said earlier (for me) it aint no PhasePlant.

Return to “Instruments”