What are some good Tilt EQ?

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
KVRian
663 posts since 16 May, 2014 from Germany

Post Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:09 am

4damind wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:48 am
sTilt is completely transparent and has no shelf filters? (Tonelux it's not, which can be good or bad)
The LP/NP filter are build on impluse responses.
The ZD filter is a creative combination of 4 shelf filters :tu:

KVRAF
5418 posts since 17 Aug, 2004 from Berlin, Germany

Post Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:20 am

Aah, so this LP/NP are based on some hardware?
ZD means zero-delay filter? But it is not a typical shelf like e.g. the Tonelux, but rather linear but at the centre frequency (where the band "tilts" a little rounder like a shelf)?

KVRian
663 posts since 16 May, 2014 from Germany

Post Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:55 am

4damind wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:20 am
Aah, so this LP/NP are based on some hardware?
ZD means zero-delay filter? But it is not a typical shelf like e.g. the Tonelux, but rather linear but at the centre frequency (where the band "tilts" a little rounder like a shelf)?
Not HW based, sTilt itself generates the IRs, strictly mathematical.
ZD means zero delay, correct. And yes, the filter response is linear.

Other tilt filter designs just use "normal" complementing shelf filter ...

KVRAF
2092 posts since 12 Nov, 2014

Post Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:28 am

Halonmusic wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:05 am
Elysia Niveau Filter
Yeah this one is free, its not bad either. Another one would be built into the Louder Than Liftoff Chopshop, plus you get some really nice HP and LP filters with it, making it more handy.

KVRAF
6345 posts since 13 Nov, 2015 from Norway

Post Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:22 am

simon.a.billington wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 7:28 am
Halonmusic wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:05 am
Elysia Niveau Filter
Yeah this one is free, its not bad either. Another one would be built into the Louder Than Liftoff Chopshop, plus you get some really nice HP and LP filters with it, making it more handy.
there is also TAL USE (Ultra Simple EQ) and Dead Duck Software Tilt EQ. I prefer Niveau Filter though
EnergyXT3 - Reaper | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

KVRAF
30184 posts since 27 Jul, 2005 from the wilds of wanny

Post Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:28 am

KVRer
24 posts since 20 Apr, 2016

Post Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:19 am

this got me interested in tilt filters, so i did some tests on the ones that were mentioned on this thread. also measured their cpu usage and latency. so here we go:

dd tilteq, zero latency, 0.5% cpu:

clearly a cook book shelf-filter.

sonimus sweetone, zero latency, 0.5% cpu. this one has some saturation going on:

softube tonelux tilt, zero latency. 0.2% (!!). this also has saturation/emulation going:

ok so these three above "look" like normal shelf filters.

hofa 4u+ dynamic tilt eq, this seems the most accurate, also has dynamic features. 15 ms latency, 3.0% cpu.

tbproaudio stiltv2, 8 ms latency, 1.1% cpu. dunno what to make of this (??). usually tbproaudio is pretty good at doing things well. i used the "eco mode", but the other modes look similar but use more cpu/have more latency (note that i used the old version without the zd, np filters):

goodhertz tiltshift3, 0 ms latency, 0.9% cpu. this one surprised me for being so linear:

so what to make of this? i would go with goodhertz tiltshift3 if i just wanted to hit a tilt filter in the chain and not think about it. if i wanted dynamic eq features, then hofa, but anything with a 15 ms latency goes only to the master chain for me. those who want saturation at a low cpu cost should take a note of softube tonelux tilt. thoughts?

KVRer

Post Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:45 am

oh yeah and this one is bonkers. airwindows toneslant. no latency, 1.0% cpu:

airwindows plugins are quite different. i like some of them (e.g. accelerate). worth a try.

KVRist
101 posts since 31 Jan, 2021

Post Thu Jun 24, 2021 5:07 pm

When I test the TBproaudio free sTiltV2 using pink noise and a spectrum analyzer, I see and hear a fairly flat response, nothing like what your graph displays?

KVRer

Post Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:08 pm

I guess low frequency ripple is just unavoidable with linear phase filters. Although that doesn't explain how HOFA looks so good. I tried the updated version, the ZD mode plot looks similar to the Goodhertz one, and uses 0.5% cpu.

KVRer

Post Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:19 pm

HOFA impulse response:

sTiltV2 impulse response:

KVRAF
5134 posts since 28 Dec, 2015 from Hanover, Germany

Post Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:31 am

mcnelson wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:13 am
Don't forget Venomode Pivot:
https://venomode.com/pivot
Well, yes, that's a beast!

KVRAF
4447 posts since 8 Jul, 2009

Post Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:17 pm

That IR from HOFA with all that ringing got me to fire up PluginDoctor and take a look myself. I see it. I had no idea, mind you I don't use it that often, preferring ToneLuxTillt or GHZ Tiltshift. Interesting to take a look at Pivot - looks really nice. The ability to morph the tilt curve is cool. I was able to map pretty accurately between ToneLux and Pivot and the phase distortion was about the same. IR is about the same too. Only difference is ToneLux has a harmonic distortion fingerprint.

I'll probably not pull out HOFA that often now knowing the ringing is so bad. I'll have to try it with some audio to see how audibel it is to me.

Pivot isn't on sale but is $23 at plugin boutique. I had some credits so I decided to pick it up. I like how many aspects of the EQ can be adjusted in a way that allows me tune everything in by ear. It help to clear away some mud in a current project that was eluding me.
Last edited by plexuss on Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KVRAF
3895 posts since 26 Nov, 2015 from Way Downunder

Post Tue Jun 29, 2021 3:34 pm

Equalize has 3dB/oct pass filter slopes too, which are really natural for pushing things back in a mix. Wish Crave had 3db per octave slopes!

KVRAF
4447 posts since 8 Jul, 2009

Post Tue Jun 29, 2021 9:54 pm

martinjuenke wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 11:31 am
mcnelson wrote:
Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:13 am
Don't forget Venomode Pivot:
https://venomode.com/pivot
Well, yes, that's a beast!
At first when I read your comment I thought it was exaggerated rhetoric, because how could a tilt EQ be a "beast". But it was also and intriguing comment so I tried the demo. Iended up buying it. I see what you mean, it is a beast! And it's aptly named, Pivot - its much more than a tilt EQ and it really does allow the audio to be "pivoted" around the centre in more ways than just tone bending like a typical tilt. amazing. a beast!

Return to “Effects”