Black Rooster Audio sale, all their plugs at $29

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm not too familiar with them, is there anything in their lineup I'd be a fool to pass up at $29?

All of them.

Ah, good stuff eh?

Mind Riot wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:36 am Ah, good stuff eh?
They really are. They all work well, sound musical, have their character that "black rooster" sound which is similar, to me, to Fuse. All and interesting and useful variation on the themes they are based around. Always take the time to demo YMMV

Yep, agree. BRA plugins are all great. I wasn't too sure before purchasing but over the last few months I've removed many similar plugins as BRA do the job so well. I haven't found much use for the plate reverb but I'm sure that's just a personal taste issue.

KH-COMP1 is their standout, if you're asking me. I like the VLA and FET too.

No one's raved about the plate reverb so I'm guessing it's kinda average.

Mildly interested in the new EQ with per band saturation.

Overall high quality plugins (oversampling / true 64-bit double precision etc).

I quite like the reverb, it's useful to move individual things forward or backward in a mix. Not for overall roomy reverb. Some people say that it sounds metallic, I suppose that they are using it to hear it, but in my opinion it is one of those that must be felt instead of heard.

The reverb has such a distinct, "platey" sound, that it needs certain material to work well. It is, however, great, and sounds very pleasing overall. I don't use it often, as it tends to stand a bit too much, but when that's what I need, it just works.

i seem to remember them mentioning that they're going to move away from such deep discounts going forward. looks like that's not happening.

still, i can heartily recommend any and all of their plugins.

(btw the reason they have a "Fuse Audio Labs" sound is because most of them are coded by the guy behind Fuse Audio Labs :) )

with regards to the new EQ, i like how it sounds and its workflow, but i really really miss a hi-pass/lo-pass filters and bandwidth controls. it's just fixed Q, which is very limiting.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

They’re all good. I’d hesitate to say they’re all great. I think the standouts are VPRE73, LA3A, and KHCOMP1. The FET is good, too.

I’m not enamored with the plate or EQ. I have everything by BR except the EQ and really only use those I listed above.

The 140 verb is a weird one. As a pure send going 100% wet I can never get it sound decent, blend or sit in a mix. Using it direct on track or as send with a wet/dry mix happening it can be quite good. The wet/dry has a lot of leeway with blending so you can make it wrap around the dry really nicely. It's not like you turn the blend knob and it goes from not hearing it to really hearing it. It's gradual.
The actual sounds of the unit are rather one note even with all the different plate options. You can definitely add a unique tonal aspect with this but maybe not want that specific sound a lot of times. Maybe it could also get a lot more mileage out of it using synth and sampled sounds.

I would take this one over at least 8 other plugins I picked up from PA or Waves for $29 for the value and usage.

tried the KH EQ. sounds really "weird". Don't like the super sharp Q factor and the saturation is weird (does it have a touch of an "amp"?) Deinstalled after 5 minutes.

I was interested in la3a then I saw comparison to hardware and BRA sounded the least similar from the list of a few plugins. Absolutely nothing from the character of original unit was in BRA la3a. Even CLA sounded closer to the hardware 🤷🏻‍♂️

https://youtu.be/iIqy3Hl_nPw

pixel85 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:57 pm I was interested in la3a then I saw comparison to hardware and BRA sounded the least similar from the list of a few plugins. Absolutely nothing from the character of original unit was in BRA la3a. Even CLA sounded closer to the hardware 🤷🏻‍♂️
Doesnt matter to me. I could care less if a plugin sounds like hardware its based on. I just care if it sounds good and will be useful to me. But thanks for sharing your opinion and approach. I guess if you need a plugin to copy the hardware then yes i can understand the issue.

plexuss wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:08 pm
pixel85 wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 7:57 pm I was interested in la3a then I saw comparison to hardware and BRA sounded the least similar from the list of a few plugins. Absolutely nothing from the character of original unit was in BRA la3a. Even CLA sounded closer to the hardware 🤷🏻‍♂️
Doesnt matter to me. I could care less if a plugin sounds like hardware its based on. I just care if it sounds good and will be useful to me. But thanks for sharing your opinion and approach. I guess if you need a plugin to copy the hardware then yes i can understand the issue.
Well if I want compression plugin that sounds like basic compressor then I can use native DAW compressor. Nice GUI is not enough to deceive me to buy another basic compressor. I have more than enough of the samey plugins thanks to stupid GAS ;)

Return to “Effects”