NI FM9 ever?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Instruments Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
FM8

Okay let's bump this up.

Reasonable approachable points to update:

- FM8 is good and all, just make it resizable.
- And keep that outdated browser if it's too much hassle to change.

More optimistic level:

- Adding additional operators
- Ability to add user waveforms
- SFZ or multi-sample support

There's a huge thread on this already. FM9 is going to need more than a "resize" for an update. I predict never.

I just loaded up some presets in FM8 and I have to say, damn this synth still sounds amazing.
I just don't understand why NI won't update it anymore. Just adding a larger GUI would do so much, since I'm at 4k now and it's a bit to small to be comfortable to use.

And yeah, I'd still love to see an FM9 in the future. One that can load all the presets from FM8 because there's literally thousands.

I also was a big fan of ni synths, but i finished waiting. Newer synths like Arturia DX7, plogue Ops7 or Korg Opsix are better sounding and the interface is much better and resizable.

dune_rave wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:45 am I also was a big fan of ni synths, but i finished waiting. Newer synths like Arturia DX7, plogue Ops7 or Korg Opsix are better sounding and the interface is much better and resizable.
Yes in your opinion.

My opinion: FM8 is still amazing and I have Ops7.

FM8 is pretty much amazing and I wouldn't change anything other than its size of it. But I am not waiting on anything. I can make music with it.

kmonkey wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:07 am
dune_rave wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:45 am I also was a big fan of ni synths, but i finished waiting. Newer synths like Arturia DX7, plogue Ops7 or Korg Opsix are better sounding and the interface is much better and resizable.
Yes in your opinion.

My opinion: FM8 is still amazing and I have Ops7.

FM8 is pretty much amazing and I wouldn't change anything other than its size of it. But I am not waiting on anything. I can make music with it.
i would change fm8 plugin- its buggy. the arpeggiator skips the first step if you play it from midi keyboard. this bug is known for long time, but there's no fix for that. so in my opinion, fm8 is buggy.

F‘em is like a FM10, but from Traktion instead of NI. Not backwards compatible though. And in case you want DX7 sounds, You can get OPS7 for $25 at the moment… Or get Dexed for free… F’em is on sale as well…
The competition was too frustrating for NI…; - )

+1 for Plogue OPS7

I think if you've been holding your breath for an FM9, you're dead already and just don't know it yet. :hihi:

Unfortunately workflow-wise both F'em and OPS7 have worse layouts than FM8 in my opinion. FM8 is easier to program (if you can see it :)).

Dream talk. Never going to happen. Pointless thread, really. NI is not what it used to be. An ancient synth like this is not getting a huge upgrade.

It is, however, still an absolutely amazing synth. I continue to use it all the time.

Korg Opsix is pretty amazing as well.
i7-9700, 32GB, 2TB Nvme, Win 11, Live 11 Suite

mholloway wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:55 pm Dream talk. Never going to happen. Pointless thread, really. NI is not what it used to be. An ancient synth like this is not getting a huge upgrade.

It is, however, still an absolutely amazing synth. I continue to use it all the time.
I agree. NI has disappointed me. On the other hand, it was expected. Once a company is part of an investment firm its destiny is profit over everything else, including innovation.
I've used to love FM7 color scheme, reminiscent of the real DX7, and I've learned FM programming on it way back in the early 2000s.
Last edited by alienmachine on Mon Nov 28, 2022 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I think the demise of Absynth pretty much cemented what a lot of us already suspected. NI has little to no interest in developing new synths or updating their old flagships and instead are content to throw together sample engines with morph controls and call it a day. It is a bummer to say the least. I used to get excited about each new version of Komplete that came out because there would be some new synth(s) to drool over. No more.
For streaming and free music downloads visit http://kennethrobertsmusic.com/

Never say never...

It's not over until the fat lady goes on a diet 😁
No auto tune...

Return to “Instruments”